Franca/Edgar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Franca/Edgar
milfhunter
7/19/08 10:43:08AM
I think Hermes takes this one as his size will play a factor. Edgra had trouble with Maynard who is a bigger 155er.. Edgar has the wrestling and Franca has the submissions.. Whats everyones take on this one?
Diamondback2
7/19/08 11:25:52AM
i'm going with franca on this one.

edgar is smaller, and franca's submission are top notch.
mkiv9secsupra
7/19/08 11:28:17AM
On the feet it will look like Fisher vs Franca but with Edgar getting KTFO and if Edgar wants to take it to the ground hes going to get subitted probably with a triangle choke
Cdellorso
7/19/08 12:07:10PM
Franca- edgars wrestling is not as good as Sherks was...
npayant
7/19/08 12:22:32PM
I actually see Edgar better in the striking (maybe not as powerful, but more accurate). And if things aren't going as well there, he'll just take Franca down at will. If he stays away from the submissin, which I think he will, he wins a UD. Also, don't be surprised if conditioning plays a factor. Edgar will for sure be able to go all 3 rounds... Franca will more than likely gas out.

jomatty
7/19/08 1:18:23PM
i also think there is a good chance that edgar will grind out a decision. in what little ive seen his sub defense looks really good and i think he will be able to stay on top and grind out a UD. hermes is good though and there is always the chance that he will catch him with a submission or knock him out but im picking edgar
Chuteboxer
7/19/08 1:19:19PM
I have no idea who wins this fight...I wanna say Edgar, but Franca's a danger to whoever he faces so I have no idea.
casketcoin
7/19/08 3:18:16PM

Posted by npayant

I actually see Edgar better in the striking (maybe not as powerful, but more accurate). And if things aren't going as well there, he'll just take Franca down at will. If he stays away from the submissin, which I think he will, he wins a UD. Also, don't be surprised if conditioning plays a factor. Edgar will for sure be able to go all 3 rounds... Franca will more than likely gas out.

i disagree. I like edgar but i think his striking isnowhere close to hermes....of course hermes has good submissions but sometimes i think people forget and underestimate his hands.I'm not saying this fight will end with a knockout but hermes will win
IriShame
7/19/08 6:37:53PM
I could see Edgar pulling out a decision but if the fight ends early it will Franca who finishes it, more than likely by submission.
MuSh
7/19/08 7:55:12PM
i'm going with franca by arm bar
npayant
7/20/08 1:56:46AM

Posted by casketcoin

Posted by npayant

i disagree. I like edgar but i think his striking isnowhere close to hermes....of course hermes has good submissions but sometimes i think people forget and underestimate his hands.I'm not saying this fight will end with a knockout but hermes will win

I'm sorry you disagreed with me.

It went almost exactly like I thought!
KYGUY07
7/20/08 7:51:41PM
franca was not impressive at all when he had edgar in his guard he did nothing except the sub attempt in the first he just layed there and did nothiing
npayant
7/22/08 1:02:20PM

Posted by foottap

every single one of frankies fights in ufc but one went to a decision. he's the machiada of the lw division

Look at who he has fought in the UFC that went to decision --

Tyson Griffin
Spencer Fisher
Gray Maynard
Hermes Franca

All TOP of the heap competition... you don't see many people at this weight class continuously fighting top competition besides the champ and a couple other contenders. Man, I sure wouldn't be ashamed in the slightest if I went 3-1 against this competition, even if it w by decision.

Here's a prime example of what I'm talking about:

Roger Huerta (mister poster boy)

Jason Dent
John Halverson
Leonard Garcia (good, but way smaller than him)
Douglas Evans
Alberto Crane
and finally Clay Guida (by far his best competition and he was getting beat until the sub. in the 3rd round)

So most of these fights were more exciting... but look at the competition difference!!!!

Frankie has good game plans against some of the best and figures out a way to win. Great job, I say!
npayant
7/22/08 1:19:41PM
Well maybe we should just throw wrestling out of MIXED martial arts. I can't stand it when people only what to see KOs and submission. Yeah, they're great when they happen, but that's not all what this sport is about.

You're probably one of those guys that starts booing at 4:30 in the first round when the fighters are still trying to get a feel for things. Or when there is a ground "clinic" going on, but you want them stood up just so you can see a KO!

I'd like to see you get in there and fight the competition Frankie has, and try to finish off those guys.

I'm done arguing about this ridiculousness...
chrismithers
7/22/08 2:33:53PM

Posted by foottap

Wrestling should be used to set up ko's, tko's, and submissions. iT should not be the basis of the fight

WHAT? Wrestling should be used to set up ko's, tko's and submissions not the basis of the fight. are you kidding me. this is MIXED Martial Arts buddy they can use whatever the hell they want as long as its not illegal. You obviously have no idea what mma is wrestling is a style that this guy Frankie Edgar has always grown up with why would he change that. It would be like a gracie not using jiu-jitsu in one of their fights. Let them fight how they want to fight its their job no fan should criticize them on how they want to fight.
Rush
7/22/08 2:35:35PM
LMAO at the arguements here.

All in all, Frankie came in with a good game plan and he got the W because of it.

I was disappointed with Hermes. He didn't look inspired to fight that night. It didn't look like the Hermes I knew pre-suspension.
chrismithers
7/22/08 2:46:00PM

Posted by foottap

P
they can use whatever the hell they want as long as its not illegal. .

youre right laying on a guy for 15 minutes is not illegal. you win the argument

actually laying on the guy for 15 minutes is impossible in a UFC fight. oh and that is called they lay and pray not wrestling.