UFC on FOX 5 results: Ben Henderson fought Nate Diaz with a toothpick in his mouth

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on FOX 5 results: Ben Henderson fought Nate Diaz with a toothpick in his mouth
FastKnockout
12/10/12 12:19:15AM
Lost in the shuffle of four amazing main card performances at last night's (Dec. 8, 2012) UFC on Fox 5 event was the fact that Ben Henderson, who defeated Nate Diaz to retain his title, apparently did so with a toothpick in his mouth.

Link
deck15
12/10/12 12:59:36AM
If this is true this could be ruled a no contest. I was at some fights cornering 1 of my guys and some guy had something in his mouth not sure if it was gum or what but there is a list of what you can take in the cage Anything else is a DQ. Might just be in my state but I wonder what the commission will have to say.
deck15
12/10/12 1:12:05AM
I asked 1 of his training partners about though I guess nothing has been said so it must be Indiana we have a lot of rules that are different.
jlock003
12/10/12 1:29:16AM
His manager told Ariel that he handed him the toothpick when he ran over to the cage to hug him after the fight. I'm pretty sure he's just covering and Benson obviously didn't admit it in the post fight so I'm imagining nothing will come of it more than more stringent checks in the future.
tcunningham
12/10/12 2:12:04AM

Posted by deck15

If this is true this could be ruled a no contest. I was at some fights cornering 1 of my guys and some guy had something in his mouth not sure if it was gum or what but there is a list of what you can take in the cage Anything else is a DQ. Might just be in my state but I wonder what the commission will have to say.

That would be Terrible to see that fight get ruled a no contest or a DQ. A rule like that in Washington could have screwed bendo
bjj1605
12/10/12 9:23:11AM
Dangerous and stupid thing to do. They need to make sure this doesn't happen again. It could be dangerous for Bendo and his opponent.

But I hope they don't go after him for this.
MisterFreeze
12/10/12 9:34:51AM
Well the only real danger would be to Ben, he could accidentally swallow it or it could have poked through his gums or cheek.
But he should have just told Joe Rogan that his corner gave it to him at the finish of the fight just to cover his ass. I can see this potentially blowing up into something ridiculous.
BillsNewAccount
12/10/12 10:59:34AM
Bendo is a big Razor Ramone fan. Kind of strange if you ask me. What with Razor being a convicted murderer and all.
thepitbull00
12/10/12 11:39:29AM
I don't know what Benson was thinking pulling something dangerous like that...even if he is a Razor Ramon fan. (who just for clarification usually threw his toothpick at his opponent and didn't keep it in his mouth and also is not, in fact, a convicted murderer)
BillsNewAccount
12/10/12 11:55:05AM

Posted by thepitbull00

I don't know what Benson was thinking pulling something dangerous like that...even if he is a Razor Ramon fan. (who just for clarification usually threw his toothpick at his opponent and didn't keep it in his mouth and also is not, in fact, a convicted murderer)

Oh yeah... Guess he was never convicted but he did admit to murderin the dude.
prophecy033
12/10/12 12:38:52PM
Guys, hes fought with it in for awhile now. Its never been a problem. He doesnt fight with it hanging out thus no harm to his opponent. Im fine with it
bjj1605
12/10/12 12:52:05PM
But if the toothpick came out it could hurt his opponent. Or if he was getting choked he just might be tempted to poke him with it.

It's just dumb thing to do. There's no upside that I can see.
prophecy033
12/10/12 12:56:24PM

Posted by bjj1605

But if the toothpick came out it could hurt his opponent. Or if he was getting choked he just might be tempted to poke him with it.

He could just as well poke him in the eye with his finger or spit his mouth piece out and bite him but I don't see either of those happening either
BuffaloDave
12/10/12 1:23:32PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Bendo is a big Razor Ramone fan. Kind of strange if you ask me. What with Razor being a convicted murderer and all.

Wrong, the charges were dropped. He did kill someone, with his personal gun, it was in self defense though. So yeah on
ryu99
12/10/12 2:36:31PM
Personally i think he did it to make a statement , fighting a boxer the caliber of Diaz then pulling out an intact toothpick , gotta be a kick in the pants to Diaz
prophecy033
12/10/12 2:57:31PM

Posted by ryu99

Personally i think he did it to make a statement , fighting a boxer the caliber of Diaz then pulling out an intact toothpick , gotta be a kick in the pants to Diaz

I don't think it has anything to do with making a statement. Its more of a stress thing. Some people chew on straws and others smoke. He just happens to like toothpicks
jay98107
12/10/12 3:04:48PM

Posted by bjj1605

Exactly, I've seen a lot of people defending it and why? Just fight without the toothpick.
FlashyG
12/10/12 3:51:24PM

Posted by bjj1605

Dangerous and stupid thing to do. They need to make sure this doesn't happen again. It could be dangerous for Bendo and his opponent.

But I hope they don't go after him for this.

I don't see how it poses a danger to his opponent, the mouthguard would remove any chance of it making contact with his opponent.

Its a danger to him though and that's reason enough not to let him do it again.
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
12/10/12 4:05:37PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Thats funny when I read this thread I thought Benson should have flicked his toothpick at Diaz just like Razor Ramone chico
bjj1605
12/10/12 8:48:18PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by bjj1605

He could just as well poke him in the eye with his finger or spit his mouth piece out and bite him but I don't see either of those happening either

Would be harder to hide from the ref than a little poke with a tooth pick. I don't think Bendo would do that, but the possibility is enough that this should be illegal (which I'm sure it is.)

And he isn't going to choke on his own finger, his own finger isn't going to cut the inside of his mouth or get caught in his throat and kill him.
DancingDoll
12/10/12 9:06:22PM
It shouldn't be allowed during a fight. I'd be more concerned about the potential to do a sharp inhale and choke on it and then the fight ends up getting stopped to deal with it more than the possibility of damaging his opponent, although the latter can definitely occur in a freak-accident way. A toothpick to the eye is way worse than a finger to the eye.

For real, I'm surprised people still use toothpicks these days. I don't own any. The only time I see people using them they're usually 60+ yrs old.
jlock003
12/11/12 2:40:08PM
Man it would be really terrible to see a fighter get poked by a toothpick...or maybe even get a splinter...man splinters suck bad! Come on man! These dudes are getting punched in the face, choked, having their joints manipulated, and all for the purpose of winning a fight and some people are worried about the toothpick poking the guy or his opponent? Look it's dumb to fight with the toothpick in because it could choke Bendo. That's the only reason and a good enough reason that it's not legal. As far as why he does it it's probably how he trains. Probably helps him with his breathing and focus. At the end of the day the athletic commissions abroad will be sure to check him before each fight from here on out and he won't be able to keep it in.