UFC and FOX reportedly sign deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC and FOX reportedly sign deal
emfleek
8/16/11 1:40:32PM
UFC and Fox agreed to a deal for seven to eight years, starting in 2012, Sports Business Daily reports. While the agreement calls for up to four UFC shows a year on the Fox network, most of UFC's programming currently carried by Spike TV and Versus would move to Fox's FX and Fuel cable channels, the industry trade publication says.

Spike has been UFC's primary cable outlet since the 2005 debut of The Ultimate Fighter reality show.

Ratings for UFC's live programming -- Fight Night shows and preliminary cards before pay-per-views -- have remained relatively stable over the years. TUF ratings remain in the 1.0 range despite a time shift to accommodate Spike's new Coal program.

But the audience for UFC's taped shows has fallen, Sports Business Daily notes:

Sources said Spike ultimately passed over concern that its UFC shoulder programming stopped growing. Shows like Unleashed,Knockouts and Countdown averaged 1 million viewers in '05. This year, they are averaging 492,000.

Bidding for UFC's programs reportedly reached $90 million annually, Money has never been the only factor considered by Zuffa, which views free TV in North America as a vehicle for exposure and promotion for its core product, pay-per-view entertainment.

"We're never going to be in a situation where we're making money on those networks," UFC President Dana White said earlier this year. "We'll have to come out in a situation where we break even. That works."

Although Zuffa has negotiated with commercial networks before, as well as HBO, talks usually broke down over control issues. Zuffa has always insisted on keeping control of the broadcast, which is generally anthema to sports networks.

Sports Business Daily did not say whether the Fox deal was with the network's sports arm or its entertainment division.

LINK
emfleek
8/16/11 1:42:45PM
UFC on FX

That has a nice ring to it! And I have FX which is the most important thing!

ncordless
8/16/11 2:02:19PM
FX is a decent channel to be on, but I have never heard of Fuel before.
emfleek
8/16/11 2:05:03PM

Posted by ncordless

I've heard of it but I don't think my provider carries it. I think it may be satellite-specific?
kingsmasher
8/16/11 2:15:45PM
fUEL IS A CHANNEL WITH EXTREME SPORTS MOST THE TIME LIKE SURF, SKATE, x gAMES STUFF...
grappler0000
8/16/11 2:27:17PM

I wonder how Bill O'Reilly feels about this.
Theoutlaw08
8/16/11 2:33:17PM
Im glad its coming to FX. FX is a solid channel. More free UFC events makes me a happy camper.
grappler0000
8/16/11 2:43:19PM
Dana stopped short of saying it's true on the 136 press conference...so, either they still have some t's to cross or they want to make their own announcement.
isk
8/16/11 2:49:05PM
FX started being a player with The Shield and they've continued to deliver solid programming. This would be an excellent edition for them since their sports presence could use an improvement. Let's see if, for one if it's true, and two if FX is able to support the brand and the shows.
prophecy033
8/16/11 3:02:25PM
The more "regular" channels its on the better. Makes channel surfing more interesting
FastKnockout
8/16/11 3:06:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Fans that have the Versus channel should also have Fuel.
emfleek
8/16/11 3:07:33PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Fans that have the Versus channel should also have Fuel.

If so...

FastKnockout
8/16/11 3:40:13PM
Well, no more Spike TV for me. I can only handle so many episodes of Manswers and CSI.
emfleek
8/16/11 3:44:54PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Well, no more Spike TV for me. I can only handle so many episodes of Manswers and CSI.

Wait...you mean there's something other than 1000 Ways to Die on Spike?

Manak
8/16/11 3:58:09PM

Posted by isk

FX started being a player with The Shield and they've continued to deliver solid programming. This would be an excellent edition for them since their sports presence could use an improvement. Let's see if, for one if it's true, and two if FX is able to support the brand and the shows.

well they do UEFA champions league which will make acrap load more money than UFC since it is the the top soccer clubs in the world so UFC will help but I really like it cause FX doesnt cater their stuff for kids. they have more adult type shows like Nip/tuck, rescue me, & archer. They are a good channel too for their movies. laso I would say nip/tuck made them more of a player than the shield. FX is overall much better than spike.
telnights
8/16/11 5:07:19PM
I'll wait till its been confirmed by the UFC or FOX.
Chael_Sonnen
8/16/11 5:08:17PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Don't forget Bar Rescue
prozacnation1978
8/16/11 5:47:57PM
Four fights per year
Two should be free pay per views.
Poor_Franklin
8/16/11 6:14:06PM
it never mattered what channel it was on, they were instantly getting my viewership with a deal, assuming this does come to fruition.

i get 2 out fo 3 of those channels & my buddy who i watch the VS cards with has the 3rd, so all in all, I'm thrilled.

A deal like this will lead to more free fights for us fans & eventually better pay for fighters.

Manny the Bannany likes it
ncordless
8/16/11 7:53:25PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Four fights per year
Two should be free pay per views.

A free pay per view is an oxymoron.
spikerman19
8/17/11 12:00:58PM

Posted by isk

Best ending to a pilot ever. Right in the cheek bone.
Bubbles
8/17/11 3:32:17PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

and auction hunters?
scoozna
8/17/11 4:26:35PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FastKnockout

and auction hunters?

don't forget Repo Games...DEA....Coal....all instant classics.