FOX EXEC HOPES SUPER BOWL XLVIII AND UFC DOVETAIL IN 2014

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » FOX EXEC HOPES SUPER BOWL XLVIII AND UFC DOVETAIL IN 2014
BuffaloDave
11/27/12 6:50:23PM
A weekend traditionally targeted by the UFC to piggyback on the Super Bowl may not host a pay-per-view, if broadcast partner FOX has its say.

FOX President Eric Shanks said that the network would "love" to see a UFC on FOX event held in conjunction with Super Bowl XLVIII, which is set for Feb. 2, 2014, at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

"We think that Super Bowl week in New York is going to be unlike anything else, and … we're going to own that week of sports television," he said. "There's nothing better than we can think of than a big fight that week."

Shanks said he is working to convince UFC executives Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta to make the idea a reality. He joked that FOX wanted an outdoor stadium show in the chilly East Coast weather.

LINK
Bubbles
11/27/12 7:06:31PM
So a UFC event held at the Continental Airlines Arena/Izod Center/whatever the hell they call it now on the night before? Or will MMA finally be legalized in NY and be held at MSG?
bootyclause
11/27/12 7:06:39PM
i always thought an amazing marketing ploy would be to have a single fight during halftime.
Bubbles
11/27/12 7:13:11PM

Posted by bootyclause

i always thought an amazing marketing ploy would be to have a single fight during halftime.

can't be worse than some of the recent halftime shows
ncordless
11/27/12 9:12:21PM
Jones v. Silva at MSG the night before the superbowl would be pretty epic. As far as I can tell though, I don't see much reason to think MMA is going to be coming to NY all of a sudden. Station and SEIU are still mortal enemies, which means things like no MMA in NY and FTC investigations for the UFC.
tallica62
11/27/12 9:46:14PM
dovetail..wtf is that?
warglory
11/27/12 11:08:43PM

Posted by bootyclause

It's not MMA, but the WWE did it like 12 years ago...of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSLnN-SBJDU
prozacnation1978
11/27/12 11:15:13PM
Ain't gonna happen on fox

Ufc makes a lot super bowl weekend for Vegas fights
I could see maybe next year super bowl weekend in jersey but only a ppv

Say what u will but Vegas is the mecca for the ppv events for bringing in money