Four Fights I think need to happen.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Four Fights I think need to happen.
POLL: Which fight would you look forward to the most, if made?
Florian/Miller 5% (2)
Arlovski/Kongo 38% (15)
Swick/Koscheck 15% (6)
Machida/Hamill 5% (2)
I didn't like any of your fights. 38% (15)
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 12:39:59AM
Kenny Florian/Cole Miller

Andrei Arlovski/Cheick Kongo

Mike Swick/Josh Koscheck

Ryoto Machida/Matt Hamill

Why these fights?

Let's start with Florian/Miller.. Kenny Florian is on quite a winning streak. So is Cole Miller. Kenny needs another competent opponent to hold him over until he can work into a Number One Contender spot for whichever Lightweight Title is available at the time. Cole Miller needs even more of a test than Leonard Garcia was. Sure, Matt Wiman and Nate Diaz from the same season as Miller could be added as well, but Kenny needs an opponent who isn't afraid to strike. This is an important match up, believe it or not.

Andrei Arlovski/Cheick Kongo also needs to be made. Arlovski needs a fight badly to prove he hasn't died or something. Kongo needs another credible win, over a credible opponent. It's not a drop down match for Arlovski, because Kongo just beat Mirko. Both of these guys could take a third/fourth place spot on the UFC Heavyweight Rankings with a win. Depending on which match up we see of Noguiera/Sylvia or Nogueira/Couture, the winner of Kongo/Arlovski could be the next challenge for the winner of the Heavyweight Title.

Sure Mike Swick hasn't had a fight in the Welterweight Division yet, but he either needs to jump in and prove something, or become one of those fighters people know about, but don't really look forward to. With a win over Koscheck, a strong wrestler, it will show that Swick can hang with the stronger guys of the WW division where he couldn't in the MW. This would put Swick near the top with a win, and won't hurt his status with a lost. Koscheck needs this fight to not drop down any further in the eyes of fans. Swick is a talented and well rounded fighter and he's more than enough of a test for Koscheck. This would help Koscheck start over in an attempt to move back towards a title shot.

Ryoto Machida/Matt Hamill. This is by far the weirdest one for me. Why though? Just listen.. Ryoto needs an opponent who is going to look to finish Machida and not work to win points on a judge's card. Hamill is strong and physical something that Ryoto needs now to move him up on the rankings. A win over Hamill would be a great notch on Machida's record. Now for Hamill. Hamill got screwed on the Bisping fight, and he's looking to save face and get right back up there. A win over the undefeated Machida would be quite the boost. It would be enough to (if Bisping loses to Evans) warrant a Bisping/Hamill 2. This is also a fight that Hamill needs to show that if he can beat a guy who's beaten champions, then he can be champion.

I don't believe any of these fights would happen (but Joe Silva if you read my post, please do make these fights) but these would be some great fights to not only the fans, but to help the problem of ranking fighters.

(By the way, please feel free to tell me if you don't like the fights. I am cool with it.. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to see these fights.)
NatedawgThaM
11/9/07 12:45:07AM
NATE DIAZ IS NOT AFRAID TO STRIKE!!!!!!!

It's just not his fault he gets taking down in every fight in the UFC so far and submits his opponents quick. Look up his fight with Hermes Franca and you'll see the real Nate Diaz but with a crappy, lucky, steroid filled ending

I'd love to see Matt vs Machida! Matt is an exciting fighter and whoever started the whole LNP crap needs to go check themselves. He an exciting dirty boxing striker with great wrestling and action filled GNP. War Hamil!!! F*uck Bisping...

But Cole Miller/Kenny Florian would be an action packed fight but Florain would domainte IMO....

Good fights though!!!
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 12:50:41AM
I don't believe I said that Nate Diaz was afraid to strike. I mentioned Diaz and Wiman in saying that "sure Kenny could also face these guys", but "I think he needs a guy who would rather stand than take it to the ground." I might need to take my phrase "afraid to strike" back and make it "Kenny needs an opponent who perfers to stand, and strike." I think Wiman is a perferred striker, but I don't believe his striking skills are on Miller's level. I'd be afraid Wiman would walk into a knee again. You know Kenny is the kind've crazy guy who'd attempt something like that when Matt gets distracted by his 'handsome' looks.
kevietre
11/9/07 12:50:51AM
Florian is much more superior than Miller.

Arlovski would stand with Kongo and KO him.

Kos trains with Swick so I doubt it would happen but if it did then Swick would KO Kos.

Machida would beat Hamill by decision because all his fights go the distance.
NatedawgThaM
11/9/07 12:53:47AM
Nate prefers anywhere his opponent takes him...

Kos is my fav. WW and if Okami can stop him then Kos will. 3rd rd, my predictions...

I think Kongo KOs AA because Kongo has strong KO power, better chin...

Scott_Revels
11/9/07 12:56:02AM

Posted by kevietre

Florian is much more superior than Miller.

Arlovski would stand with Kongo and KO him.

Kos trains with Swick so I doubt it would happen but if it did then Swick would KO Kos.

Machida would beat Hamill by decision because all his fights go the distance.

Indeed, I believe Kenny is superior, but i'm not counting Cole out. I thought Garcia would beat Cole. I was wrong, and might be again.

I'm worried that Arlovski's striking might not be where it was in facing Sylvia. Example: His fight with Werdum. Yes, he pretty much dominated Mr. Slappy, but I don't believe he was that effective in the "trying to KO Werdum" department. I think when Arlovski realized that Werdum wasn't trying, he only did enough to get a decision win.

Friends fight all the time. Pay them correctly, and let them know that they could be just a few steps away from a title shot, and I believe they would fight each other. Two friends can fight and still be friends afterwards.

I don't believe Hamill would make it easy if it did go to a decision for Machida. I picked Hamill for his strength, which I believe could give him the opportunity to pick up a decision win over Machida.

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Nate prefers anywhere his opponent takes him...

Kos is my fav. WW and if Okami can stop him then Kos will. 3rd rd, my predictions...

I think Kongo KOs AA because Kongo has strong KO power, better chin...

I don't doubt he wouldn't stand, but I think that he would choose to take it to the ground, and Kenny has proved he can beat sub guys. He needs a striker before facing another sub guy.

Where Swick was small compared to Okami, I think he may be either bigger or the same size as Koscheck. Swick's skill will allow him to put up more of a fight against Koscheck than he did against Okami.

I don't think either could KO the other.. I see the person who does more to get points, winning a decision.
CornishMMA
11/9/07 7:02:20AM
Hmmmmm

Not sure what this thread is about? are you trying to make Joe Silva look good?

I thought it was going to be a list like GSP VS Hughes 3 / BJ 2 or BJ VS Hughes 3 etc, those fights are weird and make little sense, the only good one is AA Kongo.

Miller is only on a 2 fight winning streak, not so much a streak , one is mid level and one is top level so it makes no sense to me and there are much better and competative fights that could be made

Kos and Swick (and Fitch) have all clearly stated they would not fight each other unless it was for a belt and there was no other way and it was for alot of money, yep friends fight each other but no really tight friends like they are and serious longtime training partners, its too tricky cos 1 or both have to train for the fight elsewhere etc

Hamill Machida makes absolutely no sense to me, Hamill isnt a finisher either really so it would be guaranteed fight to do to the judges and its the same as the Kenny Miller fight in that Machida is right at the top near a title shot and Hamill is mid level, there are much better opponents nearer their own skill level and rank that could make the fights
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 3:14:03PM
Nah. There are enough "dream rematch" or "dream fight" threads out there. I was looking to put a serious thread out there about what should really happen.

About the Cole Miller/Kenny Florian fight.. I was saying in the meantime.. Like between now and when the whole Lightweight title mess is cleared up. Kenny isn't going to get a shot anytime soon as long as this mess keeps up, so he needs an opponent. Cole Miller needs to be tested. He doesn't need more Andy Wangs. I'm sure more Leonard Garcia's are in his future, for real, but I think he needs Kenny Florian's to prove something. If he doesn't beat Kenny, then let him squander in the Leonard Garcia's of the world. For Kenny it's a way to keep his, "I finish fights" motto going, and for Cole it's a test to see if he can step up.

Swick/Koscheck I know does seem really far fetched but I was hoping that if there was any two people who could convince them to fight it would be Dana White and Joe Silva (Yeah, I guess I am bragging on Joe Silva, because the fights over the past five months have been great.) I was hoping that with incentive, they could pull it off. Out of the four, I think this fight would take the longest to get made.

As for AA/Kongo.. I heard others mention it, and I agreed. Felt like seeing as Gonzaga is facing Werdum instead of Kongo like I had hoped, that Kongo could just go and face Werdum's previous opponent.

Machida/Hamill I know will 99.9% go to decision, but who says Hamill won't be trying to finish it? Up until Hamill got screwed over in the Bisping fight, he was right up there with Bisping and others, so he's not anywhere below Machida. Machida isn't likely going to get to face a Tito Ortiz, or Rampage Jackson anytime soon, so why not give him a guy who's looking to prove that he didn't lose to Bisping? I even said that if Hamill won this fight, he would most likely be telling his translator to call out Bisping.
loonytnt
11/9/07 3:17:07PM
eed to happen i will try to help you out

Randy vs Fedor
Nick Diaz vs BJ
GSP vs Serra 2
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 3:40:18PM
Two of those are "dream match ups" i'm talking realistically speaking. GSP/Serra 2 may happen, but it'll either be to see who faces Hughes in his first title defense, or if Serra wins, and GSP fights him again.

My picks are based on stablizing some of the rankings. After losing to GSP, and with having Jon Fitch beat Diego Sanchez, Koscheck dropped like three positions on some rankings. I think that the Swick/Koscheck fight will show that either Koscheck can still hang in there, or Swick needs to stake a claim in the title picture.

The same goes for Machida/Hamill and AA/Kongo. Out of the four (AA, Kongo, Gonzaga, Werdum) Werdum is of course the lowest ranking guy there, but the other three could be anywhere in the rankings. If AA beats Kongo, then he should go on to face the winner of Werdum/Gonzaga. If Kongo wins, then he goes on to face the winner of Werdum/Gonzaga. Then the winner of that is automatically the next contender for the title shot.

The LHW division is a mess right now. Guys who we thought were the best are losing to 'mid level' guys, and that's causing things to go crazy. Hamill's performance against Bisping also caused Bisping to move around on people's rankings. Machida/Hamill will dispell one of the two from this problem. Either Machida will stake a claim near the top, or Hamill will. Either way, it makes a division that is so confused at the moment, a little bit more clear.

As for Cole Miller and Kenny Florian.. Again it's not really about Ranking unless Miller wins. It's more of Kenny needing an opponent, and Miller needing a test. Also to Cornish, actually instead of being on a two fight win streak, he's on a four.. The Lauzon fight was exhibition and something that Cole might've won had he not gotten injured. That being said, no one will know if they are getting better unless they test themselves. Cole might get in there and give Kenny problems, or Kenny might crush him. No one knows and to turn the Florian/Miller fight away because Cole isn't right up there with Kenny is wrong, because not many really believed in Forrest beating Shogun.
Twenty20Dollars
11/9/07 4:41:03PM
I want to see AA vs Kongo but i think hamill has been pretty good, so him vs machida would be pretty good.
Scott_Revels
11/9/07 5:49:52PM
Yeah, the Hamill that showed up for the Petruzelli fight wasn't the same Hamill who showed up for the Bisping fight. I'm sure he's angry at getting that decision lost, and he's looking for any way to get another shot at Bisping. I believe Hamill wouldn't allow Machida to just work for points, but nothing more. I think Hamill would make Machida have to go through war before getting a decision victory.
ohiostate1016
11/10/07 1:23:20PM
The only one that I disagree with is Kenny Florian/Cole Miller. There is absolutely no way that Miller is anywhere near KenFlo's league. Kenny is probably ranked #4 in the LW division (behind Penn, Daddy, maybe Sherk), and Miller is lucky to be in the top 15 in the UFC LW division. This division is just so stacked, that I think Miller has to fight one of the lower guys first. Maybe he could fight someone like Tyson Griffin or the loser of Edgar/Fisher. I'd also like to see him face Sam Stout, although he already has a fight lined up. The LW division is just stacked, so it's gonna be hard for Miller to get recogniton at all. Maybe Joe Lauzon.
Ordep
11/10/07 2:06:55PM
I want to see...

Demian Maia vs Thales Leites

to see some high class JJ
Scott_Revels
11/10/07 5:24:24PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

The only one that I disagree with is Kenny Florian/Cole Miller. There is absolutely no way that Miller is anywhere near KenFlo's league. Kenny is probably ranked #4 in the LW division (behind Penn, Daddy, maybe Sherk), and Miller is lucky to be in the top 15 in the UFC LW division. This division is just so stacked, that I think Miller has to fight one of the lower guys first. Maybe he could fight someone like Tyson Griffin or the loser of Edgar/Fisher. I'd also like to see him face Sam Stout, although he already has a fight lined up. The LW division is just stacked, so it's gonna be hard for Miller to get recogniton at all. Maybe Joe Lauzon.

People were saying before the Bisping/Hamill fight that Bisping wasn't fighting guys who were on his level, and he was stepping down to face Hamill. Shows them how wrong they were.. Anything could happen. Even if Miller loses, he gains some experience and insight by knowing what it'll take to beat a guy like Florian the next time.

Posted by Ordep

I want to see...

Demian Maia vs Thales Leites

to see some high class JJ

Indeed. I would've listed a fight like this, but hell, it'll probably end up happening, so why spend time talking about a fight that has a great chance of happening, when you can talk about fights that should happen.
Pitbull09
11/11/07 3:06:28AM
Ive been wanting Kongo/AA so bad. After nog beats kongo it would be a good matchup and further AA in the Division
hippysmacker
11/11/07 3:13:07AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Ive been wanting Kongo/AA so bad. After nog beats kongo it would be a good matchup and further AA in the Division