Did anyone find Forrests comments offensive?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Did anyone find Forrests comments offensive?
« Previous Page
ac_gi
6/18/07 1:38:02AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

BTW, I'm still waiting to try and find a college scholarship for Caucasians to get me an education

Let me know when you find it. I would love a college scholarship based solely on the color of my skin.
roadking95th
6/18/07 12:55:38PM
I was greatly offended by Forrest's remarks. He said tan is in, that he was jealous that Hector was tan and he was pastey white. What's wrong with pastey? Oh, wait, we aren't talking about those comments. My bad.
Meg
6/18/07 2:24:51PM
The only comment I can even leave to this is "lol."
tberg420
6/18/07 4:08:09PM
Why do we always expect logical thoughts from guys who were just punched in the head for 3 rounds?
pv3Hpv3p
6/18/07 4:28:17PM
I dont think it was offensive, then again I'm not hispanic, so I guess I can't really say...

Are we really to the point where if you mention a guy's race / creed it is considered offensive?

After all he said he could not lose to hispanic(non-Irish) guy in his homeland, not that he couldn't lose because the guy was hispanic...

That and I think he was just trying to make a joke? You know just like how Carlos Mencia, Chris Rock, and Dave Chapelle do.
blkssncpt
6/18/07 4:28:48PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

I think Anthony Johnson's statement was 10x more racist than what Forrest said. What Forrest said is on par with Fedor (hypothetically) saying "we're fighting in Russia, I'll be damned if I let an American come in and beat me". I was suprised they let Forrest's comments be aired though considering how frowned upon anything like that is.

Exactly it would be if an american dude were to be fighting someone from some country in the middle east and faught here in the US, and he said i cant lose to this guys on american soil, would that be racist or would everyone call it patriotic??? listen im a hispanic guy from cali and seeing forrest in past interviews and knowing that he's a good dude i thought it was pretty damn funny, plus you can tell he didnt mean it in a badway, but i do see how someone might get offended but whatever.... by the way Tito Ortiz calling Rashad Evans a "nappy headed ho" is way worst than forrest's comments and pretty dumb honestly..... just my 2 cents

BIGKAT
6/23/07 1:00:56AM
If he had said "I am not going to lose to a wet back in the homeland" Then it would be offensive.

The guy IS a hispanic, therefore, what else was Forrest supposed to call him?
BIGKAT
6/23/07 1:06:05AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

It seems that if you mention anything about any race at all and your skin is white, you are a racist. If you are not white, you can get away with it A LOT more and perhaps even mock other races and it's viewed as A-OK. I'm a basketball fan, I remember when Shaq was making fun of Yao Ming's Chinese accent a few years back, imitating and mocking his speech at a press conference and no one thought twice about it. What would have happened if Steve Nash got up there and started making fun of ebonic-speak? There would have been an uproar!
:

PROPS FOR ONE OF THE BEST POSTS ON THIS FORUM.....EVER
Signal2112
6/23/07 6:57:42AM
Am I offended? No.
Roadwings
6/23/07 7:41:22AM

Posted by grappler0000

His point was that he isn't Irish...they were in Ireland. He could've just as easily been French or German. Then he would of said that he didn't want to lose to a German in Ireland. His name is "Griffin" in case you didn't realize it.

From a commercial point of view it was very smart to say. UFC wants to get a foothold in the UK, this is a way to get their blood pumping.

And really, no offence, but can we take what these guys say serious at all? They get beaten up so much i think they must be in lala-land half the time
zephead
6/23/07 9:22:40AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I dont think it was offensive, then again I'm not hispanic, so I guess I can't really say...

Are we really to the point where if you mention a guy's race / creed it is considered offensive?

After all he said he could not lose to hispanic(non-Irish) guy in his homeland, not that he couldn't lose because the guy was hispanic...

That and I think he was just trying to make a joke? You know just like how Carlos Mencia, Chris Rock, and Dave Chapelle do.

But none of those you metion is white. Carlos can say wetback, beaner, spic, cracker. honky, towel head, dotheat or n*gger and get away with it. Chapelle and Chris Rock can do the the same thing. Let someone like Dennis Leary or George Carlin say that, on a TV show, and there would be La Raza and the NAACP going nuts.

It all depends on your skin color. If you're white, you have to be PC. If you're not white, you can say what you want
Roadwings
6/23/07 10:29:47AM

Posted by zephead

It all depends on your skin color. If you're white, you have to be PC. If you're not white, you can say what you want

True, and even worse you can be offended by everything people do or say. If your white you always get your white ancestry smashed back in your face.
gutoo
6/23/07 12:32:36PM
Tito and Forrest two racists, thats sucks...
gutoo
6/23/07 12:34:42PM
funny? man go away...
lehmkuhl
7/7/07 9:13:12AM
tito and forrest should fight. What would the headline be?
"the spanish american war"?
veritas
7/7/07 7:31:55PM
i actually found it entertaining, but i could see how it could rub someone the wrong way. my heritageis irish so i just picked up the meanining as "im irish, i cant lose to someone who's not irish in front of my hometown" I found it similar to when frank shamrock said that he beat baroni in his "town". its just showing an allegiance. i dont think he meant it disrespectfully, but either way, its not enough for me to believe u as a fan would disown him cuz of it. after all, it is forrest griffin were talking about here, not exactly introverted and soft spoken
Pages: 1 [2]