Did anyone find Forrests comments offensive?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Did anyone find Forrests comments offensive?
Next Page »
Tjimindie
6/16/07 8:19:25PM
"I cant loose in the homeland to a Hispanic dude."

I was once a fan of his. Particularly for his down to earth/professional attitude. I'm all about the pre fight hype, but I thought that comment was below the line. How about him cutting Rogan off and grabbing the mic from him during his post fight interview? I thought he acted pretty classless today. Am I alone here?
C-MurdA
6/16/07 8:22:27PM
damn i havent seen it yet but i didnt know he said that. im gona have to watch it but that sounds pretty bad
DangerousDjohn
6/16/07 8:23:25PM
Yeah, that wasn't a great comment. I doubt this will make any headlines though. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if he says this about Rashad or another African American...Jesse Jackson would stir up all kinds of stuff. Once again, don't take that the wrong way. Joe should have cut Forrest off instead of the other way around. Boo Forrest...Boo!!!
DJDark41
6/16/07 8:24:04PM
Offensive? No. Stupid? Probably. Cutting Joe Rogan off was probably unintentional, but he had something to say and was pumped up coming off of a great fight and was a little over-anxious to say it. And calling Hector Ramirez a "hispanic" is offensive? He could've said things that were alot worse, and I don't think saying hispanic is offensive at all. Thats like having a white person get pissed over being called white. I think hispanic is nicer then saying mexican, spanish, or whatever. Gratz to Forrest on the win though.
MisFiT
6/16/07 8:27:24PM
Shit happens... Forrest has been known to bust out with some crazy shit before.
Tjimindie
6/16/07 8:28:57PM

Posted by DJDark41

Offensive? No. Stupid? Probably. Cutting Joe Rogan off was probably unintentional, but he had something to say and was pumped up coming off of a great fight and was a little over-anxious to say it. And calling Hector Ramirez a "hispanic" is offensive? He could've said things that were alot worse, and I don't think saying hispanic is offensive at all. Thats like having a white person get pissed over being called white. I think hispanic is nicer then saying mexican, spanish, or whatever. Gratz to Forrest on the win though.

It's not the word itself, it's how and why he said it. There's no reason to bring the race up in the first place. It wouldnt't have been any better if he said I can't loose to a polish dude... Just not necessary.
mkiv9secsupra
6/16/07 8:33:22PM

Posted by Tjimindie

Posted by DJDark41

It's not the word itself, it's how and why he said it. There's no reason to bring the race up in the first place. It wouldnt't have been any better if he said I can't loose to a polish dude... Just not necessary.

but when quinton jackson makes a comment about his race its funny?!
MisFiT
6/16/07 8:34:23PM
And when Tito Ortiz calls Evans a Nappy Headed Hoe, no one cares. But when Forrest says he cant lose to a Hispanic in Ireland OMG THE WORLDS GONNA END!!!
Tjimindie
6/16/07 8:35:11PM

Posted by MisFiT

And when Tito Ortiz calls Evans a Nappy Headed Hoe, no one cares. But when Forrest says he cant lose to a Hispanic in Ireland OMG THE WORLDS GONNA END!!!

Nope.... That's not cool either.
KYGUY07
6/16/07 8:49:23PM
I thought it was funny.
jdubs
6/16/07 10:54:08PM
huh, what, uh, offensive??? now its offensive to say hispanic.. all i have to say is wow.
what is the world coming to
Stickan
6/16/07 11:08:13PM
omg....

I can't believe how anyone would find that offensive.. everyone's so frickin uptight.

SteedTheDeed
6/16/07 11:21:25PM
did anyone find Anthony Johnson saying "he doesn't want to lose to a black guy offensive"? Rashad needs a loss to end some racism - "16 and 0" sounds too much like nappy headed-ho.
grappler0000
6/17/07 12:01:18AM
His point was that he isn't Irish...they were in Ireland. He could've just as easily been French or German. Then he would of said that he didn't want to lose to a German in Ireland. His name is "Griffin" in case you didn't realize it.
EvilScott
6/17/07 12:01:57AM
He punched the guy in the face and kicked/kneed the hell out of him.

I think that hurt more than those words. That's just me though.
Lord_Lenny
6/17/07 12:47:11AM

If everyone stopped putting so much emphasis on race, nothing like this would be offensive and you're playing into it by making it a bigger deal than it is
Naturaldisaster
6/17/07 2:22:56AM
I think what forrest said is hilarious!
MattHughesFan
6/17/07 2:29:20AM
I didn't think it was that bad, Mike Swick said something like that to when he fought Okami in Texas and no one jumped all over him, i thought it was pretty funny, and cutting Rogan off come on, fighters do that all the time, he had something to say so he said it, who cares, i no offense to the OP but i think u kinda blew it out of proportion.
hippysmacker
6/17/07 2:47:16AM
While certainly not PC, and I"m not a big PC fan anyway, I have to say it was in good humor. Some guys like Forrest or Chad Johnson in football don't ever seem to be malicious. I think anyone who has ever seen him talk before could tell it was just a joke. If he looked like Jeff Monson, who actually is not a racist, he might have more trouble selling it as being all in good fun.
Tjimindie
6/17/07 3:00:09AM

Posted by EvilScott

He punched the guy in the face and kicked/kneed the hell out of him.

I think that hurt more than those words. That's just me though.

LMAO!
Aether
6/17/07 6:20:35AM
The comment had nothing to do with degrading hector for being hispanic, he was simply saying that he's not going to lose in his homeland to a foreigner. He didn't disrespect him in any way.
randyleprechaun
6/17/07 7:48:58AM
When he said that in the prefight video it got a big pop from the crowd in the arena. I was there and all in all it was a great event. Even if the Franklin Okami fight was an anti-climax!
DangerousDjohn
6/17/07 2:29:49PM
What? Anthony Johnson is a black guy.
CanadianCripplr
6/17/07 4:23:42PM
his comments were certainly not near as stupid as when he kicked that reporter in the leg and fractured it. I dont like him as much as I used to.
I also thinks its abit different when rampage comments on his own race, that seems to be acceptable but even note that someone else is a different color and look out, people get offended.
Damien6663
6/17/07 10:10:25PM
Thank god some1 cur rogan off, i hate his guts. Forrest is the man, he is hilarious, i was not impressed with his performance however, some of those leg kicks were really really slow. He woulda got cleaned up against a legit thrreat at 205 yesterday.
DoTheMMAth
6/17/07 10:22:06PM
I think Anthony Johnson's statement was 10x more racist than what Forrest said. What Forrest said is on par with Fedor (hypothetically) saying "we're fighting in Russia, I'll be damned if I let an American come in and beat me". I was suprised they let Forrest's comments be aired though considering how frowned upon anything like that is.

It seems that if you mention anything about any race at all and your skin is white, you are a racist. If you are not white, you can get away with it A LOT more and perhaps even mock other races and it's viewed as A-OK. I'm a basketball fan, I remember when Shaq was making fun of Yao Ming's Chinese accent a few years back, imitating and mocking his speech at a press conference and no one thought twice about it. What would have happened if Steve Nash got up there and started making fun of ebonic-speak? There would have been an uproar!

But yeah... either way, any sort of racism is retarded, regardless of the skin pigmentation of the one doing it. We all bleed red and we all breath the same air. A bit of good natured ribbing is completely fine, and funny, but everyone draws the line in different places. One person's joke is another person's insult, and everyone has their own thoughts on this sensitive topic.

BTW, I'm still waiting to try and find a college scholarship for Caucasians to get me an education
XblacksheepX
6/17/07 11:22:27PM
I mostly like Forrest makin' fun - this time i didn't really get it, but what the heck?! Usual shittalk before a fight, no big deal. I think it's even more stupid the crowd chanting for the usa just because the opponent isn't american for example. Rogan in the octagon ALWAYS says the same and ask the same questions after the fights, i'm happy when someone steps out of the boring entertainment-repetition-blurb. Anyways, i also thought Forrest wasn't that good lookin against a non-existent Ramirez, i was temporary wondering if my computer might working too slow... He also had hard time breathing... Rogan hypted him in the beginning like "he never trained that hard for a fight before" and after all Forrest admitted he wasn't training as usual... Why talking when you got nothing to say? I don't get it! Rogan normally does a good job commentating during the fights though..
ButterBalls
6/17/07 11:57:30PM

Posted by jdubs

huh, what, uh, offensive??? now its offensive to say hispanic.. all i have to say is wow.

when I was in middle school, they tried to suspend me for calling another kid "latino" who was from Mexico. Apparently Latino isn't the word of choice anymore?
Ydoc
6/18/07 12:26:55AM

Posted by butterballs

Posted by jdubs

when I was in middle school, they tried to suspend me for calling another kid "latino" who was from Mexico. Apparently Latino isn't the word of choice anymore?

How do you sleep at night?
ButterBalls
6/18/07 12:34:01AM

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by butterballs

Posted by jdubs

How do you sleep at night?

I had someone at work ask my that the other day (I work at a collection agency). I told them pretty well, because I have a really expensive bed.

Not sure if that was the answer they wanted to hear
Pages: [1] 2