Forrest's title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Forrest's title shot
Next Page »
big_timmy
2/6/08 11:49:29PM
I was stoked to hear about my man finally getting his title shot.

Anyone not think he deserves it?
Im open to hearing all points of view.

And how do you think he'll go?
puppetmaster837
2/6/08 11:52:38PM
I dont think he deserves it for beating a crippled Shogun, but with all the chaos going on with the rankings in that division they had to give it to someone. and coming off a big win even though his opponent was injured he made the most sense. Im gonna predict Rampage by pure domination though
ufcboss
2/6/08 11:56:02PM
cripple bapple popple, HE CHOKED OUT SHOGUN, Say no more, Was Shogun %100 in all his other fight's?
puppetmaster837
2/6/08 11:57:06PM

Posted by ufcboss

cripple bapple popple, HE CHOKED OUT SHOGUN, Say no more, Was Shogun %100 in all his other fight's?

did Shogun have a torn ACL in any of his other fights?
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/7/08 12:00:30AM
Jardine deserved it, but on the heels of a new tuf season and looking for good tv personality, they used forrest's win over shogun as an excuse to give him a title shot and put to great personalities on tv...but its whatever. we'll find out if he is deserving after round 1 with rampage.

Jackelope
2/7/08 12:01:50AM
LOL yeah there's a difference between being 85 or 90% and having a torn ACL. I'd say there's about a 45% difference or so.

ANYWAY, Forrest has shown the ability to take some shots in his time, and my God I can't wait to see how many he's gonna take in this one. Rampage can dish out some punishment and I hope Forrest is able to take it all in.
atlas777
2/7/08 12:45:15AM
Its shoguns fault he lost forrest beat him plain and simple so what is shpgun had a blown acl guess what he still stepped in there other guys who are injured pull out its a smarter move so all in all its his fault he lost so stop making excuses he knew his acl was blown what did he think was going to happen hes a professional if it was bothering him that bad he should have pulled from the fight plain and simple dont make excuses.

Forrest beat one of the best in the world a guy thats beaten everyone yes of course he deserves his shot hes a great exciting fighter and he always come in and makes it a fight plus can you imagine having Jardine as a coach on the show it would be like having a dead tree becuase of his personality
gartface
2/7/08 12:55:09AM
He got it for the same reason Gonzaga got it. They brought in a Pride hot shot and promised them a title shot if they won. And both lost, and the two who beat them got title shots, deservedly so.
ac_gi
2/7/08 1:35:06AM
I would be happy as long as the title shot was given to Machida, liddell, Jardine or Griffin. So, I'm cool with Griffin. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Griffin wins it.
whardin19
2/7/08 7:40:10AM
I look at it like this. The Light Heavyweight division is in some turmoil right now. It's probably one of the most evenly fought divisions in the UFC. Even if Forrest beat a crippled Shogun it was a huge win. He probably could have used one more win before he got the shot. In my own opinion thought Lyoto Machida deserves the title shot. But I'm not angry with Forrest getting the shot. I think he'll give Rampage some problems.
Naturaldisaster
2/7/08 8:07:40AM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Posted by ufcboss

didn't tito beat forrest with a torn acl and partially torn mcl? yep he did, so why couldn't shogun?
emfleek
2/7/08 8:40:05AM
Whether or not he deserves it is a question that can never be answered.

Based on his past performances, though...his fights are ALWAYS fun to watch. So, yeah, in that sense, I'm happy he's getting a shot.

I think it's going to be a bangfest. And I, for one, can't f'ing wait.

Bitching about whether or not he deserves it proves/does nothing...just kick back and watch one hell of a fight. Because that's what this will be.
cowcatcher
2/7/08 8:47:49AM
i know shogun has said he had a torn acl before the fight, and he looked to be in terrible shape which backs that up, but im not 100% sure that it didnt get torn during the fight with forrest. maybe him coming in to the fight in such bad shape was because he couldnt take some of the "supplements" he took in pride, and if he knew he had such a serious injury why would he still fight(the answer to that is probably because he is incredibly tough). im more or less just playing devils advocate by saying all that stuff, but i think that whoever said earlier that the ufc was prepared to throw shogun a title shot(a la CC after the GG fight) and forrest beat him to get the shot. forrests personality for TUF didnt hurt one bit either, nor did the fact that he was in the most important match in american MMA history to date either.
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 10:03:20AM

Posted by atlas777

Its shoguns fault he lost forrest beat him plain and simple so what is shpgun had a blown acl guess what he still stepped in there other guys who are injured pull out its a smarter move so all in all its his fault he lost so stop making excuses he knew his acl was blown what did he think was going to happen hes a professional if it was bothering him that bad he should have pulled from the fight plain and simple dont make excuses.

Forrest beat one of the best in the world a guy thats beaten everyone yes of course he deserves his shot hes a great exciting fighter and he always come in and makes it a fight plus can you imagine having Jardine as a coach on the show it would be like having a dead tree becuase of his personality

1. To say that it's "plain and simple" to pull out of your first fight of a very lucrative contract for the biggest org in MMA is a mis-statement... You're either very young or very naive to think that this would be a "simple" decision with no ramifications or consequenses. Fighters can ruin events by pulling out due to injury and many fighters pride themselves not only on their skills in the cage/ring but also on the fact that people can depend on them and that they are accountable for their actions

2. Maybe I can't imagine Jardine as a coach on the show, but I do imagine that Jardine deserves a title shot regardless... Actually here's an idea, let's just have a title fight? No show, no waiting, no putting one of the most exciting divisions in MMA on hold... Let's just fight folks, and leave the "reality TV" for the women and the children
pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 10:06:27AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by ufcboss

didn't tito beat forrest with a torn acl and partially torn mcl? yep he did, so why couldn't shogun?

If Shogun would have made a career out of LnPing opponents then yes, i think he could have reverted to that, but that's not why people are Shogun fans and he wasn't brought to the UFC to be the next Tito...
postman
2/7/08 11:35:58AM
I think he is right up there as guys in line but I felt Machida and Jardine should have been ahead of him. As for how he will do, I think he is going to have a tough time with Page I don't see him getting past the 2nd.
Naturaldisaster
2/7/08 11:58:25AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by ufcboss

If Shogun would have made a career out of LnPing opponents then yes, i think he could have reverted to that, but that's not why people are Shogun fans and he wasn't brought to the UFC to be the next Tito...

I like shogun more than tito, but tito and forrest didnt have a LnP snooze fest, it was an exciting fight, more exciting than forrest/shogun, and tito was injured worse than shogun, so people are using the injury as an excuse. Forrest worked harder than shogun did and he benifited better from working hard than shogun did.
Pookie
2/7/08 12:06:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by ufcboss

pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 12:12:15PM

I like shogun more than tito, but tito and forrest didnt have a LnP snooze fest, it was an exciting fight, more exciting than forrest/shogun, and tito was injured worse than shogun, so people are using the injury as an excuse. Forrest worked harder than shogun did and he benifited better from working hard than shogun did.

I am not trying to take anything away from Forrest... The shogun fight was the fight of his life and you are correct, he completely out worked him...

My point was that Tito and Shogun are two completely different animals: Styles make fights and this is an example of just that. Tito being a wrestler and a HUGE lightheavy has to be taken into account when comparing the two fights, IMO. It also makes a difference when you injure the knee, pertaining to conditioning which seemed to have a huge impact on Shogun in their fight (conditioning that is)...

If you want my opinion, I read an interview with Wandy before the Chuck fight and he addressed Shogun's loss to Griffen. It sounded as though Wanderlei didn't think Forrest would be much of a challenge for Mauricio, and I wouldn't be surprised if that opinion resonated throughout most of the Chutebox team. I'm excited to see a healthy and prepared Shogun step into the octagon and will reserve judgement until then
prozacnation1978
2/7/08 12:56:09PM
i think jardine deserved it he did beat chuck lidell and forrest, then second i would say forrest, but hey i mean shogun it's his first fight in the cage his odds are against him as you see that pride guys are losing their first cage fight alot. that was one main reason why i picked lesnar to lose last week was cage experience it does make a factor
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 1:15:36PM
lyoto deserves it most, maybe the rampage fans just dont wanna see him fight lyoto, or they dont wanna see him fight shogun or wandy (no excuses they both lost there last fights) just to be clear im an avid rampage fan and want him to fight better competition than forrest or jardine
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 1:18:08PM
this is why jardine forrest 2 makes so much sense, to see who gets the title shot if dana insists on either of them getting a shot, lyoto is undefeated and beat good fighters and once he beats tito he will be after forrest
backalley101
2/7/08 4:17:58PM
Deserve 1 or not,he's getting 1,so there's nothing else we can do or say,and all these people,man. All these people wanna cry that Shogun was not 100%,well too freakin' bad! He fought Forrest and lost. If he would've won the fight, everyone would've been,"Look how bad he is. He won the fight hurt!" He lost. That's it and Forrest won a title shot.
Pookie
2/7/08 4:23:30PM

Posted by backalley101

Deserve 1 or not,he's getting 1,so there's nothing else we can do or say,and all these people,man. All these people wanna cry that Shogun was not 100%,well too freakin' bad! He fought Forrest and lost. If he would've won the fight, everyone would've been,"Look how bad he is. He won the fight hurt!" He lost. That's it and Forrest won a title shot.

I think you've completely missed the point of what people are saying...

pv3Hpv3p
2/7/08 4:31:43PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

this is why jardine forrest 2 makes so much sense, to see who gets the title shot if dana insists on either of them getting a shot, lyoto is undefeated and beat good fighters and once he beats tito he will be after forrest

This statement makes the most sense of all the crap I've read on the interweb today...

The Forrest Jardine fight would add so much more clarity to this situation, and Lyoto should by all means be the front runner for a shot at Page
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 4:34:29PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by BlazinSaddle

This statement makes the most sense of all the crap I've read on the interweb today...

The Forrest Jardine fight would add so much more clarity to this situation, and Lyoto should by all means be the front runner for a shot at Page

somebody finally agrees, thank you, props are on the way
LesnarLover
2/7/08 5:21:34PM
I cant believe they are giving Forest a title shot. Think of someone who really deserves it.....

Maybe... BROCK LESNAR!!! Duh, the guy is 0-1 right now in the UFC and should be getting a shot by now since he's already been rejected to have that triple threat match with BJ and Sherk
cowcatcher
2/7/08 5:28:04PM

Posted by LesnarLover

I cant believe they are giving Forest a title shot. Think of someone who really deserves it.....

Maybe... BROCK LESNAR!!! Duh, the guy is 0-1 right now in the UFC and should be getting a shot by now since he's already been rejected to have that triple threat match with BJ and Sherk

it never stops....
telnights
2/7/08 6:25:09PM

Posted by ac_gi

I would be happy as long as the title shot was given to Machida, liddell, Jardine or Griffin. So, I'm cool with Griffin. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Griffin wins it.

I wish more people just looked at it like that.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
2/7/08 7:02:50PM
lyota machida or thiago silva deserve the title shot. BUT I doubt the UFC will ever put a strictly brazilian speaking person on TUF. Forest definetly should of fought jardine for number one contendership. since that isnt happening, i think a jardine and houston rematch should happen.
Pages: [1] 2