Forrest on run from cage : " truth is ......................

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Forrest on run from cage : " truth is ......................
« Previous Page
jiujitsufreak74
10/4/09 5:28:38PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by mikevolz

to come to the sudden realization, that no matter what you do, you will never succeed at your biggest dream? in front of millions of people?

a lot of you guys would act like in someway you're not proud of.

that still isn't an excuse

an onto my underlying point, who cares?

he doesn't owe you, me, or anderson anything. Dana white doesn't care? and i guaranteed you he lost thousands of dollars in endorsements running out of the cage. If he doesn't want to talk to the media after a brutal loss, how the hell is that viewed as "unsportsmenlike?"

it is unprofessional and as a professional athlete he has responsibilities to the organization and to his fans. his actions were despicable and the fact that he left the cage after his loss is completely unsportsmanlike and shows a lack of respect for his opponent and shows he has the composure of a 12 year old girl
scobac
10/4/09 5:48:34PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by mikevolz

to come to the sudden realization, that no matter what you do, you will never succeed at your biggest dream? in front of millions of people?

he doesn't owe you, me, or anderson anything. Dana white doesn't care? and i guaranteed you he lost thousands of dollars in endorsements running out of the cage. If he doesn't want to talk to the media after a brutal loss, how the hell is that viewed as "unsportsmenlike?"

it is unprofessional and as a professional athlete he has responsibilities to the organization and to his fans. his actions were despicable and the fact that he left the cage after his loss is completely unsportsmanlike and shows a lack of respect for his opponent and shows he has the composure of a 12 year old girl

Im not condoning what Forrest did but I think this is overblown, you have never done anything out of character being fueled by human emotion? I would bet you have but maybe not, I would say that most of us (probably all) have.

I think we should give the guy a break for making a mistake and drop it.
Sinister
10/4/09 6:38:19PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by mikevolz

Everyone wants to stress how its unprofessional and bad for the sport.
Meanwhile, we have fighters leaving the sport that helped make them who they are so they can pursue acting careers.. ...
Honestly, I respect a guy who was always willing to fight everyone and is passionate enough about his job that he gets angry over a loss then a guy who leaves the sport completely.
I know the comment wasn't necessary but people who are shocked by Forrest saying this really don't know Forrest as fans. This comment sounds typical of him.

IMO, Forrest can say whatever he wants about a reporters or my mom as long as he continues to fight.

I know this isn't a comparison thread and maybe I should make one but Rampage is way less of a professional than Forrest.
EliasG
10/4/09 8:48:50PM
bad sportsmanship never makes me stand up and cheer. This isn't a street fight or a grudge match in some bar, it's a sporting match. Show some sportsmanship. It's as appropriate to show respect your opponent and stand there after you get whooped as it is to give respect to the opponent that you whoop. It cuts both ways. Leaving without showing respect is like getting in someone's face after they lose. It's classless.

Using a bj mom joke to shut someone up...well that's not exactly the epitome of class either so I guess that consistency has to count for something.

emfleek
10/5/09 8:18:22AM
2 months have passed and this is still a topic of discussion for reporters? I'd be pissed too if I was asked the same question OVER AND OVER for 2 straight months. He was a lot nicer than I would have been.

I want to see a pissed off Forrest. I hope he uses this is fuel for his next fight.
Rush
10/5/09 10:22:08AM
I think that all that needs to be said is that Forrest will have to accept the consequences of his actions, which include but are not limited to:

1) backlash from sponsors - do sponsors want to sponsor a fighter that is dissing people publicly, the people that are their customers? Risk the fighter running out of the ring so their product names don't get camera time?

2) backlash from fans - all the questions could have been avoided if he just said, I was really upset with my performance and that is why I ran out. As we've seen, fan support plays a large part in where these guys fight and for how much.

3) backlash from his employers - it's only a matter of time before enough negative publicity starts hurting the UFC. In any other workplace setting, a boss would not like one of their employers dissing a customer.

4) possible backlash from his fight team - if the fighter and team are one, then the actions of the fighter reflect the team as well.

The bottom line is, emotions are no excuse for these types of actions, especially ones that linger on for days, weeks or months. I mean, people talk about the press not giving up on the issue, Forrest (and other fighters too) need to let these things go and get on with their life too. Fighters are not the only ones that are under performance stress and not the only ones that face emotional times. Dealing with them in a normal, non-destructive manner is not a rare gift, but more a sign of mental balance. Stop making excuses for these fighters' inexplicable actions. They need to excuse or explain themselves or otherwise reap the consequences of not acting like a right-minded individual.

As I've saod before, I don't think these fightes owe us (the fans) anything, but that doesn't mean they can escape criticism and ridicule stemming from their asinine actions.
Pookie
10/8/09 8:03:10PM
Does no one here appreciate a good yo momma joke?

Props Forrest
mentalcase
10/8/09 8:25:39PM

Posted by Pookie

Does no one here appreciate a good yo momma joke?

Props Forrest

i do
jiujitsufreak74
10/8/09 9:01:38PM

Posted by Rush

The bottom line is, emotions are no excuse for these types of actions, especially ones that linger on for days, weeks or months. I mean, people talk about the press not giving up on the issue, Forrest (and other fighters too) need to let these things go and get on with their life too. Fighters are not the only ones that are under performance stress and not the only ones that face emotional times. Dealing with them in a normal, non-destructive manner is not a rare gift, but more a sign of mental balance. Stop making excuses for these fighters' inexplicable actions. They need to excuse or explain themselves or otherwise reap the consequences of not acting like a right-minded individual.

As I've saod before, I don't think these fightes owe us (the fans) anything, but that doesn't mean they can escape criticism and ridicule stemming from their asinine actions.

perfectly said

i dont really care what excuses Forrest has for saying what he said. i dont care if you, i or anyone else would have done the same thing. the point is you don't act like that when you are a professional athlete and expect not to get criticized. no matter how much something pisses you off you have to remember that you are in the public spotlight and have a responsibility to your employer and to your fans to act responsibly.
Rush
10/8/09 10:20:59PM
Thanks man
mikevolz
10/9/09 2:43:58AM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by mikevolz

ok, he has responsibilities to the organization, that i can understand.

responsibilities to the fans? what responsibility does any fighter have to the fans? seriously, forrest griffin owes nothing and has zero responsibility to you. and its a bit presumptuous to think he does. Seriously his responsibilities are to train hard and fight, every interview he does is a privilege for us to view. he does them because of the extra money he can make through exposure.

unsportsmanlike as they may be, despicable is quite a strong adjective. There is nothing at all despicable about what he did. That word should be reserved for things like rape, murder, and wearing sunglasses in a nightclub.

and lack of respect for his opponent? at what point has he disrespected anderson silva? he's been the epitome of class in regards to him. lack of composure is another issue.
Jackelope
10/9/09 7:29:33AM
In the sense that ultimately fan support is what these guys are seeking then they do owe us something. If you want to be loved by the fans, then your actions should endear you to the fans. If your actions aren't seen as honorable or respectful to the fans then you have to deal with the consequences of what those actions were. In this case, it is the fan base calling for an apology or at least a worthwhile explanation. Not an attack on their mothers.

Now, if a fighter's intentions are not to be loved by the fans then by all means play the heel and be a jerk. In this case the fighter owes nothing to the fans. But again, he'll have to deal with the consequences of not having that love. Being booed, having actions called out on the forums, etc. It's all a part of the sports world and I'm sure most fighters out there are aware of this.

Personally? Knowing that Forrest is an emotional guy I didn't really mind. Only certain fighters really bring out the emotion of being a fan in me. For the most part I try not to let my emotions ruin my enjoyment of a good sporting event or a great display of technique.
hotrodttt
10/12/09 10:38:44PM
To me an excuse is a sign of meakness or insecurity, and I've always thought it that is why I try to limit excuses. They just make you sound like an ass and make people think less of you. Forrest and Rampage used to 2 of my favorite fighters but the constant excuses just made me not care for them anymore.
mentalcase
10/12/09 11:40:59PM
Leave forest alone

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
EliasG
10/13/09 10:09:33AM
I think MMA fans can actually be VERY forgiving when the athlete is humble and gives props. Forrest actually gained his fanbase by being funny, not taking himself too seriously and fighitng his heart out. People love that about him. He never was a world beater---doesnt' have KO power and has been KO'd 3 times I know about. BUT people will still love him if he doesn't take himself too seriously--which is what he is doing but at least not at Mirko levels--keeps his wittiness and self deprecation, and keeps on giving his best. It's really a simple formula for a fighter like him. The hard part was that he was coming off a loss of the belt and fought AFTER getting KO'd before. SO, his mindset is to get back to being a champ, when he should really be thinking "What would Mickey Ward do?" because that's what he is. He'll be a people's champ without being the champ if he can keep those personality traits he has. AND YOU NEED THE FANS BIGTIME if you aren't say....Brock Lesnar or something. Trust me, if Lesnar keeps on taking a dump on fans and he falls off---he won't have a place anywhere. No one will root for him.
Pages: 1 [2]