Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz call each other out

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz call each other out
emfleek
1/31/12 9:03:04AM
In fighting, it takes a great rival makes a great champion. Without Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali would not be Muhammad Ali. No Sugar Ray Robinson, no Jake LaMotta. No Micky Ward, no Arturo Gatti. You can go on forever.

MMA does not have the same history prizefighting does, but it is starting to. Tito Ortiz was a great champion. And part of that greatness was defined through rivalries.

The three fights with Ken Shamrock made him rich, and that came after an ongoing feud with the Lion's Den going 1-1 with Guy Mezger, and taking Jerry Bohlander on cuts.

Tito feuded with Chuck Liddell, losing twice.

But perhaps his greatest rivalry was with Forrest Griffin, beating him ny split decision in 2006, and then coming back in 2009 and losing a split decision. Now it is 2012, and the two want to do it one last time.

Griffin and Ortiz appeared on HDNet's "Inside MMA" and made the case, or started it.

LINK
Budgellism
1/31/12 9:04:08AM
tn_rebel
1/31/12 9:24:04AM
Good rubber match to try to get Forrest back on track... knew it would come to this when Tito said he had 1 more left in him.
jjeans
1/31/12 9:25:14AM
Hey if it retires Tito and gives Forrest a win... I guys I'm down for this
mattjonesy
1/31/12 10:20:03AM
Dont want to see this fight again! Griffin vs Davis now thats a fight i would like to watch!
BuffaloDave
1/31/12 10:37:13AM
I'm sure everyone kinda figured Forrest/Tito 3 would go down, for Ortiz's last fight. If Forrest is smart he watched Tito's last two fights and seen, that all you have to do is abuse Tito's midsection with kicks and punches to finish him.

I still would rather see him fight Liddell in a rubber match, but that obviously won't happen since Liddell retired.
KingCmb
1/31/12 10:38:40AM
griffins got it in the bag and he knows it that swhy he wants it theres plenty of interveiws where forrest says he wants easy fights and in the ufc they dont get much easier than an aging ortiz that being said titos still got a few tricks up his sleeve hes been game in his latest fights even against top competion and hes tough in the sense of he gives it his all and can take a decent beating i love em both but forrest finnally gets the UD he deserves
emfleek
1/31/12 10:40:18AM
Let's make it a gimmick match.

Winner *AND* loser leave town.

Budgellism
1/31/12 10:44:25AM

Posted by emfleek

Let's make it a gimmick match.

Winner *AND* loser leave town.

I'm down.

I don't think I can even imagine a fight I have less interest in.

Give me Andy Wang vs. Marlon Sims before this fight please.
Theoutlaw08
1/31/12 10:51:12AM
Worst case scenario it ends in a draw and they have to fight again.

postman
1/31/12 11:35:03AM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Worst case scenario it ends in a draw and they have to fight again.

Something we all need to keep in mind. Do we really want even a chance of this happening?
warglory
1/31/12 11:58:21AM
I think we should bring back the original idea of the UFC for this match with an alligator moat surrounding the cage, and hell, make the cage electrified as well!
FastKnockout
1/31/12 12:56:39PM
No, just no.
lahoover78
1/31/12 1:10:08PM
yea i'm down with Forrest kicking Tito's butt again but he better look good doing it cuz Forrest hasn't looked very good as of late. Hopefully he'll beat Tito into retirement.
Poor_Franklin
1/31/12 1:24:28PM
this would be a prelim, right?
Bubbles
1/31/12 1:26:51PM
i cant say im excited for it, but i would like to see Forrest get another win
SpiderSilva
1/31/12 1:31:25PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

I'm sure everyone kinda figured Forrest/Tito 3 would go down, for Ortiz's last fight. If Forrest is smart he watched Tito's last two fights and seen, that all you have to do is abuse Tito's midsection with kicks and punches to finish him.

I still would rather see him fight Liddell in a rubber match, but that obviously won't happen since Liddell retired.

This!

I don't know who watched then but remember Ortiz/Liddell 1. Chuck brought up all you had to do is hit Tito in the body. That's what he did to him in the gym allthe time.It took people a long time to figure it out. hell even Machita's knee crumbled Tito.Anyway I would be happy to see Griffin-Ortiz 3 as long as it's not a Main or Co-Main it's a perfect 3rd fight to a stacked card.
prophecy033
1/31/12 1:40:53PM
I'll go split decision win for whoever the ref is cuz he's gonna be the only one without a split win in the cage
jay98107
1/31/12 3:39:03PM
Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier had a title on the line two of their three fights. Needless to say, Forrest/Ortiz has been a relatively ineffectual rivalry in comparison. Just because it's a potential trilogy doesn't mean you need to bring up the greatest trilogy in combat sport history.
BeeR
1/31/12 4:02:07PM
I want to see this as much as I wanted to see Tito vs Ken Shamrock #2
ncordless
1/31/12 4:36:31PM
Makes sense for both of them. One of the only competitive match-ups likely to get fan interest for either of them at this time.
prozacnation1978
1/31/12 4:45:33PM
As long as its not a main event on a pay per view
hashyandy4
1/31/12 4:46:32PM
This is awful news
tn_rebel
1/31/12 5:19:11PM
Am I missing something? Weren't the first 2 pretty good?
prophecy033
1/31/12 5:19:41PM

Posted by BeeR

I want to see this as much as I wanted to see Tito vs Ken Shamrock #2

and I wanted to see Tito/Sham 2 as much as I wanted to see Tito/Sham 3
shaneTpain
1/31/12 7:34:07PM
The sad thing is, this will probably be the main event of a free card in the Spring

But if Tito won I would smile
F Forrest
tmas
1/31/12 9:22:54PM

Posted by shaneTpain

The sad thing is, this will probably be the main event of a free card in the Spring

But if Tito won I would smile
F Forrest

agreed, and im down with this fight cant wait! war tito!
Adrenaline
1/31/12 11:34:37PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Technically not a rubber match because Chuck mollywhopped him both times, but I like where your head is at. Liddell always deserved to retire on a win
BigCountryFedor
2/1/12 2:00:55AM
No thanks.