What was Forrest Griffin thinking?-LOCKED- NO more fight fixing threads

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What was Forrest Griffin thinking?-LOCKED- NO more fight fixing threads
State_Champ
8/10/09 9:57:29PM
What does the playground think was Forrest's game-plan in his fight with Anderson?

I couldn't really tell as the fight was so short and one sided, but I thought Forrest would be pressing Anderson against the fence more and trying for takedowns....
george112
8/10/09 10:01:35PM

Posted by State_Champ

What does the playground think was Forrest's game-plan in his fight with Anderson?

I couldn't really tell as the fight was so short and one sided, but I thought Forrest would be pressing Anderson against the fence more and trying for takedowns....

i asked myself the same question.

he got beat so bad that the thought of a fixed fight actually crossed my mind.
SpiderSilva
8/10/09 10:31:25PM
Well.................Joe Rogan said his plan was to come out with a 1-2 combo the a kick
And he seemed scared to do that and kind of did that

I bet he planned to go for some takedowns but tried to set it up by standing.

Then he got hit
Nightmare27
8/10/09 10:40:57PM
I heard a few people I was watching the fight with say that they thought it was fixed. If it was I bet Forrest would have sold it a bit better. Insted of just flopping.
RNC
8/10/09 11:03:38PM
In pre-fight interviews Forrest had stated that he had been working on his wrestling, and that he believed that his wrestling was the secret to him completing his game. I just think that Forrest thought that he was going to do better on the feet, and that he could stand with Anderson for a little. Maybe get him thinking he was going to strike, and then take Silva down when he wasn't suspecting it.

Silva has repeatidly showed, however, that any ounce of aggression towards him ends as a bad night for you. Forrest threw his trademark lunging forward combination and got tagged by the superior striker. Granted, he was already hurt before then, and with all of the punishment combined it was just too much.

I'm curious to see what Forrest's feelings will be after this fight. Will he be like Marquardt and Hendo, and believe that if he fought Silva again things would go differently? Or will he be similar to Thales Leites and just know that he is outclassed?
prozacnation1978
8/10/09 11:20:18PM
i think he watched forrest gump on dvd before the fight and ran off to the dressing room after the fight to finish watching it
george112
8/10/09 11:25:17PM

Posted by RNC

In pre-fight interviews Forrest had stated that he had been working on his wrestling, and that he believed that his wrestling was the secret to him completing his game. I just think that Forrest thought that he was going to do better on the feet, and that he could stand with Anderson for a little. Maybe get him thinking he was going to strike, and then take Silva down when he wasn't suspecting it.

Silva has repeatidly showed, however, that any ounce of aggression towards him ends as a bad night for you. Forrest threw his trademark lunging forward combination and got tagged by the superior striker. Granted, he was already hurt before then, and with all of the punishment combined it was just too much.

I'm curious to see what Forrest's feelings will be after this fight. Will he be like Marquardt and Hendo, and believe that if he fought Silva again things would go differently? Or will he be similar to Thales Leites and just know that he is outclassed?

marquardt and hendo imo could give silva trouble if there were to be a rematch.

i think anybody with a good solid wrestling background, which both of the fighter i mentioned above have, thrown in with past experience of silva can beat him.

heck lutter even looked good for a little while on the ground with silva
thunderstruck
8/10/09 11:45:00PM

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

exactly what crossed my mind as silva was just standing in front of forrest saying come on and forrest did nothing . then he got dropped , out cold by what looked to me to be a jab ?? i dunno , after seeing the wars forrest was in and the shots he took , i was kinda like wtf ...it would make sense to have this fight fixed as a lop sided ko victory by anderson seems to suddenly overshadow his last few somewhat lackluster performances . not to mention most fans thinking fedors best pound for pound and dana always screaming andeerson s the best hands down ....fedor dont sign so what would be better for whites case than to fix a fight to get andersons fan fare and p4p bragging rights up to where they once were . i hate to think the ufc would do such a thing , but at the end of the day , it is a business and we have seen such things in boxing in the past so its not really that inconseivable this could take place , but i sure hope not .
Aaronno9
8/11/09 12:01:41AM
Id like to request a mod delete the comments above about Forrest throwing the fight, just to save me vomiting over my keyboard more than anything. And to think I thought we had a full set of educated posters on this board.

People need to realise, that no gameplan is a good gameplan against Anderson, Unless you've got wrestling skills like Hendo and you can keep him down and negate his BJJ, your probably going to get knocked out. Forrest tried to press Anderson, and tried to make it an exciting fight. Mabeys he should of looked at Andersons fights against Ace and realised that wasnt going to work, but at least he put himself out there.
RNC
8/11/09 12:09:48AM

Posted by thunderstruck

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

exactly what crossed my mind as silva was just standing in front of forrest saying come on and forrest did nothing . then he got dropped , out cold by what looked to me to be a jab ?? i dunno , after seeing the wars forrest was in and the shots he took , i was kinda like wtf ...it would make sense to have this fight fixed as a lop sided ko victory by anderson seems to suddenly overshadow his last few somewhat lackluster performances . not to mention most fans thinking fedors best pound for pound and dana always screaming andeerson s the best hands down ....fedor dont sign so what would be better for whites case than to fix a fight to get andersons fan fare and p4p bragging rights up to where they once were . i hate to think the ufc would do such a thing , but at the end of the day , it is a business and we have seen such things in boxing in the past so its not really that inconseivable this could take place , but i sure hope not .

There are 2 solid reasons this fight would NEVER be fixed.

1. So you say the UFC set it up? The UFC is a billion dollar company. They would never jeopardize such a lucrative business by fixing a high profile fight like Silva vs Griffin. We all saw what happened to Elite XC when they were exposed for fixing fights.

2. So you say Forrest threw it himself? It's highly, and I mean highly, unlikely that Forrest would ever throw a fight, just because of the person he is alone. On top of that, there is no lucrative reason to do so. Being the underdog, betting on Silva would never equal the potential $250K win bonus he could've gotten, the amount of fame and publicity he would've recieved for beating the #1 p4p fighter in the world, or the almost instant title shot a victory would've resulted it. Plus, Forrest flopped on the ground the same way he did against Rashad Evans. I guess he threw that fight too, right?

george112
8/11/09 12:21:59AM

Posted by RNC

Posted by thunderstruck

Posted by george112

Posted by State_Champ

There are 2 solid reasons this fight would NEVER be fixed.

1. So you say the UFC set it up? The UFC is a billion dollar company. They would never jeopardize such a lucrative business by fixing a high profile fight like Silva vs Griffin. We all saw what happened to Elite XC when they were exposed for fixing fights.

2. So you say Forrest threw it himself? It's highly, and I mean highly, unlikely that Forrest would ever throw a fight, just because of the person he is alone. On top of that, there is no lucrative reason to do so. Being the underdog, betting on Silva would never equal the potential $250K win bonus he could've gotten, the amount of fame and publicity he would've recieved for beating the #1 p4p fighter in the world, or the almost instant title shot a victory would've resulted it. Plus, Forrest flopped on the ground the same way he did against Rashad Evans. I guess he threw that fight too, right?

i hope yours and aarons rants are not towards me.

i have not once accused the UFC of fixing fights.i didnt even go as far to say the fight was fixed.all i said was "the thought of a fixed fight actually crossed my mind"

i only said that because forrest got beat so bad. i had no idea people were going to imply i meant the fight was fixed
juggernautakira
8/11/09 1:16:43AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Id like to request a mod delete the comments above about Forrest throwing the fight, just to save me vomiting over my keyboard more than anything. And to think I thought we had a full set of educated posters on this board.

People need to realise, that no gameplan is a good gameplan against Anderson, Unless you've got wrestling skills like Hendo and you can keep him down and negate his BJJ, your probably going to get knocked out. Forrest tried to press Anderson, and tried to make it an exciting fight. Mabeys he should of looked at Andersons fights against Ace and realised that wasnt going to work, but at least he put himself out there.

Id like to request that a mod would IGNORE this request.

It was a bizarre ending. Lets not be Nazis about it, ok? :)
DieSlow
8/11/09 1:45:18AM
I just got done watching the griffin/silva fight. It finished predictably but it didn't sit right with me. I watched it by myself after work and didn't talk to anyone that had seen it.

I googled "forrest griffin fixed" and about 30 relevant threads popped up. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I am a fan of Griffins, but I have to say that fight was very ..... strange ..... to me. That's the only way I can put it.

I'm not saying it was fixed but something was definitely way off. Maybe Forrest had a bad night or I missed something subtle in the fight. It's possible he was in much worse trouble than was apparent when he took that awkward half-assed tumble to the mat.

Sorry, my comment had no direct accusation but the fight did unsettle me. It was also strange that he ran out of the ring since he is usually very thankful to his fans and gracious after his fights.

Hopefully it was just a weird one-time thing, but the strange occurrences make me ask questions about exactly what happened during that fight.
GSPCanada
8/11/09 1:46:17AM

Posted by juggernautakira

Posted by Aaronno9

Id like to request that a mod would IGNORE this request.

It was a bizarre ending. Lets not be Nazis about it, ok? :)

I'll have to agree here, people have thrown fights in boxing, thrown games in basketball and football more so in college than anything so the idea of ANY fight being fixed isnt out of the question. however I will state that i do not think forrest threw the fight its not worth it for some reason something was badly timed and it was easily exposed the ufc would lose EVERYTHING and we'd all be tuning into strikeforce.

as far as the gameplan of forrest, looked like it was one of two things beat up on andersons legs with kicks so his striking isnt so strong and his td defense isnt so good, (which often works against lean fighters or fighters with skinny legs like rampage) or the gameplan may have been to throw the leg kick in hopes of baiting anderson to counter and then counter the counter, im only inclined to believe this because forrest didnt put much behind his kicks, either way the kicks weren't landing and once anderson got the distance down he closed in to a place where forrest wouldnt really be able to throw a strong kick. when the gameplan wasnt working forrest obviously abandoned the gameplan and chose to slug it out, when that proved to be ineffective it looked like forrest didnt necessarily give up but kind of did give up out of frustration knowing he was just going to get hurt.

what did i think of this gameplan? it wasnt a bad gameplan, it just didnt work out and it happens. think coutures gameplan vs gonzaga we all thought it was brilliant, coutures teammate josh hendricks tried the ssame thing on the same guy...he just didnt excecute it so well and got knocked out....was the gameplan bad? no. just some guys struggle to carry out gameplans. even gsp's strategy vs bj worked brilliantly, then florian tried the same thing and we were all sitting there asking whats florian doing?

forrests gameplan wasnt bad it just didnt work out he should have had a backup plan to clinch and a backup backup plan to wrestle but he got hurt early so we will never know if he did have a backup plan
TimW001
8/11/09 2:52:55AM
I found it odd that he wasn't working angles at all. He should have worked to set up his pucnhes more with kicks and fakes. Instead, he went STRAIT at Anderson.
hippysmacker
8/11/09 3:07:30AM
This is the last time I am going to say this, before I just start banning people.
The warning apparently aren't doing anything. Do not accuse someone of fixing a fight without ABSOLUTE proof. Take off the tin hats, turn off the x-files, and stop the conspiracy theories.

Its is in our rules-

13 . Do not engage in wild conspiracy theory's about fixed fights on the forums. Unless an athletic commission convicts someone of it, or BOTH FIGHTERS in a fight openly agree that it happened, it need not be discussed here. There is no advantage to be gained by discrediting the sport you love, which is the reason you are here in the first place

People with previous warnings have already been post banned over it. Also, drop the nazi cracks. A internet message board not allowing you to post unfounded , unproven conspiracy theories, is no the same as the mass murdering of a race of people. This thread is locked - don't make another fixed fight thread.

ADMIN