Forrest Griffin’s speedy exit at UFC 101 ‘wasn’t really a big deal’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Forrest Griffin’s speedy exit at UFC 101 ‘wasn’t really a big deal’
SmileR
8/12/09 4:25:24PM
“He wasn’t injured. He’s an emotional guy and he just didn’t feel like sticking around. He’s done that before. After the Jardine fight, they kind of surrounded him a little bit, but he said a couple of things into the mic and left the cage pretty quickly. Just the emotions of…here is a guy who is very confident that he could win this fight and he just never had a chance to get off. He’s an emotional creature, so he left the cage. It wasn’t really a big deal. I think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is. It wasn’t anything left to see anyway. Anderson had beaten him and it wasn’t like it was going to a decision. We already knew what happened, so he decided to go into the back and get his tape off and get changed and everything else. I think he was kind of comforting us more than anything else because we were all down and bothered and you know, that’s that.”

– Xtreme Couture boxing coach Ron Frazier tells FightHype.com that the hoopla surrounding Forrest Griffin’s mad dash for the locker room following his knockout loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 101 was much ado about nothing — and that most of what people wanted to know in his post-fight comments was already covered in the few minutes he spent getting manhandled by “The Spider.” Do fighters have an obligation to their opponents to stay for the official announcement? Or is it okay to split if they’re not in the right frame of mind? Sound off, Maniacs.

Link
Kpro
8/12/09 4:29:43PM
I agree. I still don't see the big deal.
SmileR
8/12/09 4:31:37PM

Posted by Kpro

I agree. I still don't see the big deal.

Me either, just letting you know if you fought Anderson Silva I'd pick you to win by handsomeness in the first round!
RearNakedJoke
8/12/09 6:03:59PM
i still like forrest. it was strange that he ran like he did but no big in my book.
KaibaThedon
8/12/09 6:27:17PM
I never thought it was a big deal. Nobody knows what its like to be in the cage with the Spider, and if he whopped your ass, there is 0% chance you're running out, cuz you're likely in a coma.

Stop the hating, still love Forrest.

Read his book too!
prozacnation1978
8/12/09 6:43:19PM
if some other fighter did it i bet it would be a big deal
UFCmma666
8/12/09 6:51:20PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

if some other fighter did it i bet it would be a big deal

hahaha agreed
Nightmare27
8/12/09 7:58:34PM
There is always talk about how mma fighters are great sportsman and everything else. Forrest just acted like a baby, it was like the kid in little league who throws his helmet and makes a scene when he strikes out. He literally ran out as soon as he could. Thats not saying that I wouldnt have done the same, thats just what it reminded me of. He can dish it out but cant take it.
grappler0000
8/12/09 8:14:16PM
I don't think it's a big deal. If Anderson wasn't offended by it, I don't know why anyone else would be.
EvenFlow
8/12/09 8:20:05PM
Idc, let the grown man cry in privacy
bigbubbano23
8/12/09 8:39:23PM
"He’s an emotional creature" WTF that made me giggle
mentalcase
8/12/09 9:56:26PM
its not a big deal, just dont do it, and dont say **** like no man will break me
jtgribble
8/12/09 11:58:31PM
Forrest is a popular guy, so people are willing to look past it. If Brock Lesnar got manhandled and ran out of the octagon it would be further proof of his "unsportsmanlike behavior" and "wwe antics"
mentalcase
8/13/09 1:06:34AM
i irony of an article on the Internet saying something is not a big deal, the fact that thousands of mma fans are talking about it on numerous forum's and guys making youtube vid of "run forest run" and photo shops pics on major mma websites thats the kind of stuff that make it a big deal
telnights
8/13/09 1:41:22AM
It's not really a big deal but that doesn't mean the media and some fans wont make it in to one. The media and fans have a way of making things lot bigger issue than they truly are.
ncordless
8/13/09 1:48:54AM
Keep it clean everybody. No need for fighter bashing or name calling.

As for the whole exit thing... what a total non-issue. Forrest didn't really do himself any favors by causing a scene with his departure, but it matters about as much as a welterweight wamma belt. Can't blame him for not wanting to watch the fight again on replay and give an interview with Rogan asking him to re-cap through the final moments in slo mo. I also don't blame him for not wanting to get emotional in front of everybody considering how everyone responded to his breakdown after the loss to Jardine.

In the end it looked strange and maybe even a little comical, but it was not a heinous crime against all that is good in MMA.
supatolacyl
8/13/09 3:06:33AM
Give the guy a break, he was obviously completely emberassed, affter getting mauled like that. I mean if a dude just beat you down and was making fun of you the whole fight, letting you hit him in the face with his hands down and still coming at you, how would you feel?? I believe that is all it was, he was getting beat up and his opponant was show boating about, after he was already picking him apart, it was kind of rediculous. I mean when Rashad did that sorta stuff he was the lowest person on earth and the most disrespectable fighter out there, but when Anderson does it, no one even brings it up?? I am a big fan of Silva and love watching his fights and I believe he is the p4p best fighter in da world, but to me in my opinion it was a little tacky, after the beating he was laying down.
billycarnage
8/13/09 12:06:37PM

Posted by Nightmare27

There is always talk about how mma fighters are great sportsman and everything else. Forrest just acted like a baby, it was like the kid in little league who throws his helmet and makes a scene when he strikes out. He literally ran out as soon as he could. Thats not saying that I wouldnt have done the same, thats just what it reminded me of. He can dish it out but cant take it.

That’s a bull-sh*t analogy. MMA is not Little League. It is more like the Super Bowl, and how many Arizona Cardinals showed their emotions after their gut wrenching loss? Some stuck around and shook hands and others made a B-line for the locker room. I say: to each his own. I love Forrest for stepping up, I wish he made a better showing but I respect him still. He will be back.

Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter in History.