Forrest Griffin returns to face Thiago Silva at UFC 101 in August

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Forrest Griffin returns to face Thiago Silva at UFC 101 in August
Next Page »
babalu2720
3/16/09 6:04:10PM
A light heavyweight contest between two fighters looking to rebound from high-profile losses has been added to the as-yet-unannounced UFC 101 card.

Former UFC champion Forrest Griffin (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) will face Brazilian slugger Thiago Silva (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC).

MMAjunkie.com (www,mmajunkie.com) today learned from sources close to the bout that the two fighters have verbally agreed to the contest and that bout agreements are scheduled to be signed over the next several days.

Those sources also indicated that UFC 101 is tentatively scheduled for Aug. 8 in Portland, Ore.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14279/forrest-griffin-returns-to-face-thiago-silva-at-ufc-101.mma
ncordless
3/16/09 6:06:11PM
I like this fight. I was kind of hoping to see a Griffin/Jardine rematch, but this works too.
nickcuc547
3/16/09 6:09:35PM

Posted by ncordless

I like this fight. I was kind of hoping to see a Griffin/Jardine rematch, but this works too.

agree, i wanted to see forrest and jardine fight again too but i can't complain at all about this matchup, i think forrest is a little too big for thiago and takes a decision, should be a war though, definitely quality match making.
Wolfenstein
3/16/09 6:10:20PM
It sounded like it was going to be Jardine, so the Silva matchup is a little bit of a curveball. I actually like this match better. I think this fight will answer the old adage...contender or pretender?
wrona666
3/16/09 6:20:07PM
Poor Forrest.....I see him getting KO'ed in the first unless Forrest trys taking the fight to the ground he might be able to grind out a decision, but I think Thiago's power is going to give Forrest trouble with his suspect chin....
xdanish020
3/16/09 6:21:43PM
Forrest by decision
GSPCanada
3/16/09 6:27:07PM
Jardine and forrest doesnt make much sense to me right now I think thiago n forrest is a great matchup i remember hearing about jardine vs forrest but this is a really interesting fight i like it. This will also give us a good idea where thiago is he comes out destroys everyone but they are all lower competition then gets destoryed by machida but we know machida is really good.

also im hopin bj penn vs florian is on this card if it is then ufc 101 is going to be a great card
Wallass
3/16/09 6:27:09PM
Silva Tko Round Two.
Boo_Radley21
3/16/09 6:27:18PM
Alright Forrest. He's gonna take this fight.
Hendo67
3/16/09 6:28:29PM
Forrest by UD, Silva is terribly overrated...in my opinion.
Bowen50
3/16/09 6:31:02PM

Posted by wrona666

Poor Forrest.....I see him getting KO'ed in the first unless Forrest trys taking the fight to the ground he might be able to grind out a decision, but I think Thiago's power is going to give Forrest trouble with his suspect chin....

i completely disagree. Forrest should fight a smart fight the way he has been doing since his loss to Jardine. keep the distance and choose his shots wisely. also, since when does Forrest have a"suspect chin"?
postman
3/16/09 6:38:17PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by wrona666

i completely disagree. Forrest should fight a smart fight the way he has been doing since his loss to Jardine. keep the distance and choose his shots wisely. also, since when does Forrest have a"suspect chin"?

Agreed This should be Silvas last fight at 205 he is a 185er for sure.
Jackelope
3/16/09 6:43:30PM
Forrest is too big and kicks way too hard low to get bullied around by Thiago Silva. Not only that, if Thiago gets mount, which is where he likes to do a lot of GnP work, he won't be facing someone with a pathetic guard like he has in the past. Forrest's JJ is highly underrated. Mark my words- Forrest takes this convincingly.
coldchillin
3/16/09 7:05:15PM
Thiago gets a chance to redeem himself with this fight... I think he's underrated and looked bad against the best LHW in the world, Lyoto Machida. Machida would beat down Forrest, too.

I could see this fight going either way and I'm interested to see how their ground games match-up against one another.
kaduey
3/16/09 7:17:45PM

Posted by Hendo67

Forrest by UD, Silva is terribly overrated...in my opinion.

%100

I've said this in the past and I think Forrest will prove it again enroute to a dominating decsion or a late submision.
LakieMan
3/16/09 7:38:23PM
Forrest by UD
RMFG_187
3/16/09 8:09:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Forrest is too big and kicks way too hard low to get bullied around by Thiago Silva. Not only that, if Thiago gets mount, which is where he likes to do a lot of GnP work, he won't be facing someone with a pathetic guard like he has in the past. Forrest's JJ is highly underrated. Mark my words- Forrest takes this convincingly.

+ Forrest wont let him get inside, Round 2 TKO but pure domination for all 2 rounds
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/16/09 8:56:30PM

Posted by wrona666

Thiago has the suspect chin if anyone does . Av Bet????????
cowcatcher
3/16/09 9:21:54PM
im not even going to comment on the forrest having a suspect chin comment......

forrest should be big enough and good enough wherever this fight goes to win, silva has the proverbial punchers chance, and any time a fighter comes off an injury you have to wonder how he is going to look. fortunately it was a hand injury and not a blown knee or a back injury though so i expect forrest to look just fine and move back up the ladder.
higdon10
3/16/09 9:41:23PM
I think that Forrest will pick apart an overrated Thiago Silva.
Jackelope
3/16/09 9:49:05PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by Jackelope

+ Forrest wont let him get inside, Round 2 TKO but pure domination for all 2 rounds

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to with the powerful low kicks. Basically Thiago seems to come straight at his opponent with bullying tactics. Kind of like a very refined and way more skilled version of Houston Alexander. I don't think Forrest is going to let Thiago bully him at all, and I think he'll accomplish that with some good combinations coupled with a lot of beating on the legs
Pookie
3/16/09 9:51:36PM
Forrest is going to beat him in the boxing department also.

Forrest uses his reach effectively, and thiago doesnt have the speed/explosiveness to catch him on the feet with something meaningful.

If forrest loses this fight id be very surprised.
bls1919
3/16/09 9:53:48PM
Nice! Very intriguing fight. Is Silva who we thought he was. Or does Forrest get back on track to the title? Should be a great fight. Forrest UD right now. But Silva has an edge in the striking and if he can keep Forrest from taking him down he could very definatly KO Forrest.
NatedawgThaM
3/16/09 10:01:56PM
I'm big on Thiago but he ain't ready for this type of fight yet. if he don't end it in the 1st he's in trouble. I definitely see Forrest winning and stopping him impressively. You guys are forgetting Forrest is too smart. He'll do what he did to barely squeeze it out against Rampage but even worse since Thiago is no Rampage. Thiago has a pretty suspect chin too and he's still one of my favs!

I think Forrest stays on the outside and boxes and wears Thiago out and KO's em brutally in the 2nd like Machida or maybe end of the 1st just like Machida!
prozacnation1978
3/16/09 10:10:28PM
great fight i see either guy winning this
great co main event
wrona666
3/16/09 10:41:17PM
when did forrest get KO power??? I cant believe everyone is counting Thiago out of this fight......
Twenty20Dollars
3/16/09 11:20:09PM
Im counting out Thiago in this fight because of his last fight, where I overhyped Silva and he got KTFO.

Forrest will end Thiago's contender hype, by the leg kicks and just outworking Silva, pushing the pace. I can see Forrest landing a big knee or maybe a head kick or dropping silva with a good solid punch and getting a tko.
WheelchairBandit
3/16/09 11:39:19PM
Silva wins most of his fights by getting mount and getting a stoppage by GnP.It's going to be very hard for Silva to pass Forrest's guard.

Silva's standup is very sloppy-he's just a straight up brawler,kind of like what Forrest used to be.

I see Forrest slowly picking Silva apart on the feet and getting the occasional takedown,and winning by either a 3rd round submission or a very dominant decision.

WB.
Pookie
3/16/09 11:46:40PM
Thiago Silva is just way out of his league fighting anybody in the top ten at the moment.
Grimus
3/17/09 2:34:44AM
i was also hoping to see jardine/forrest too . i see forrest surviving silvas first round then taking the uniamous dec. go forrest!!!! silvas somewhat overratted think
Pages: [1] 2