Forrest Griffin is overrated.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Forrest Griffin is overrated.
Next Page »
kofranklin
9/20/07 8:20:42PM
I think Forest Griffin is completly overrated. A lot of people think he is going to beat the best LHW in the world in Shogun. Give me a break. Forrest will die. Just look at what Jardine did to him.
mkiv9secsupra
9/20/07 9:08:41PM
Did you not see that fight?! Forrest was murdering Jardine... Jardine caught Forrest and put him out.

Forrest is barely even rated!!! How can he be overrated?! Shogun may be one of the most well rounded fighters but he is NOT the best striker and we all know these two are going to strike. Forrest is a great boxer and Shogun is a pretty good Muay Thai fighter. Forrest has the better wrestling but he isnt going to put Shogun on his back. Forrest can very easily earn a victory by staying outside Shogun's range and picking Rua apart with jabs ala Tim Sylvia.....
cmill21
9/20/07 9:34:37PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Did you not see that fight?! Forrest was murdering Jardine... Jardine caught Forrest and put him out.

Forrest is barely even rated!!! How can he be overrated?! Shogun may be one of the most well rounded fighters but he is NOT the best striker and we all know these two are going to strike. Forrest is a great boxer and Shogun is a pretty good Muay Thai fighter. Forrest has the better wrestling but he isnt going to put Shogun on his back. Forrest can very easily earn a victory by staying outside Shogun's range and picking Rua apart with jabs ala Tim Sylvia.....

Shogun's not going to sit back and let that happen lol. He'll rush in and clinch, and for the record he's got a GREAT MT clinch, and GREAT knees. I don't see this fight going long. Hope for an injury forrest, or "Run Forrest, RUNNNN".
TOMMYAYO05
9/20/07 10:06:17PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

That fight was too short to say anybody was killin anybody man......But to the guy who says alot of people think forrest is going to win and he is overrated.Ive never heard anyone say forrest is going to win and ive never heard people overrate forrest.....
cmill21
9/20/07 10:26:51PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

That fight was too short to say anybody was killin anybody man......But to the guy who says alot of people think forrest is going to win and he is overrated.Ive never heard anyone say forrest is going to win and ive never heard people overrate forrest.....

I've been hearing tons of people saying "Forrest will win, look how shitty the pride guys are doing in the UFC." I don't think Rampage has been doing bad but i dunno much about him, although I did hear shogun lost a close decision to him
kopower
9/20/07 10:57:15PM
This fight should be great. Forrest will not get destroyed. He'll probably lose but it should be a war. I think we'll see the best Forrest ever. I'm sure Randy has a nice game plan laid out for him. If he can stick with it he could pull out a victory.
loonytnt
9/20/07 11:20:56PM
i think it will be a great fight for both fighters, we are going have to wait tell sat. tho
kevietre
9/21/07 12:13:19AM
Forrest is mos def. overrater but I still think he will pull off the upset. If he loses then it's expected so he's going into this fight with no pressure while Shogun has the weight of the world on his shoulders if he loses his UFC debut to an unranked fighter.
mrliquid
9/21/07 1:09:09AM
I think forrest will hold his own he is a very tough guy I think he did very good against tito and in the jardine fight they were both swinging and he jus got caught on the chin it happens to many good fighters i'm not going to predict a win for either ima sit back and enjoy the show on this one.
NatedawgThaM
9/21/07 1:59:29AM
As long as he can prevent the Thai clinch being wrapped around his head then he'll be good as long a she can be a smart counter boxer and box his way to a UD...

He's not overrated because he SHOULD have beaten Tito by SD and got CAUGHT by Jardine after he was dominating him...and like everybody know sin MMA...

EVERYBODY GETS CAUGHT!!!

maybe even Shogun?
TOMMYAYO05
9/21/07 2:30:04AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I've been hearing tons of people saying "Forrest will win, look how shitty the pride guys are doing in the UFC." I don't think Rampage has been doing bad but i dunno much about him, although I did hear shogun lost a close decision to him

shogun knockd rampage out!!!!dude alot of people need to look at facts on this site before stating stuff....
awhooo
9/21/07 3:35:08AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Shogun's not going to sit back and let that happen lol. He'll rush in and clinch, and for the record he's got a GREAT MT clinch, and GREAT knees. I don't see this fight going long. Hope for an injury forrest, or "Run Forrest, RUNNNN".

babytater03
9/21/07 7:43:46AM

Posted by kevietre

Forrest is mos def. overrater but I still think he will pull off the upset. If he loses then it's expected so he's going into this fight with no pressure while Shogun has the weight of the world on his shoulders if he loses his UFC debut to an unranked fighter.

AMEN!
EddieBowers
9/21/07 8:37:14AM
Forrest is a good fighter, not a great one... yet. Give him time. Rua is a great fighter, do I think Forrest can pull off the upset.. hell yes I do. I love to watch Forrest fight, even his knock out by K.J. was an exciting fight. I think the loss against Tito was a BS call, but hey I am just a spectator not a judge or a pro. I am still going to pull for Forrest to bring the upset, I am even going to pick him for the win via SD.
Mastodon2
9/21/07 9:26:58AM

Posted by cmill21

Yeah, as far as MMA goes, Wanderlei and Shogun have the best Muay Thai clinch, they can be devastating with it.
phiansouri
9/21/07 9:32:14AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by cmill21

Yeah, as far as MMA goes, Wanderlei and Shogun have the best Muay Thai clinch, they can be devastating with it.

yes on shogun but no on wanderli what about anderson silva. i think he has the best clinch. i know forrest is gonna lose well i think but i do hope he pulls an upset.
cmill21
9/21/07 9:33:06AM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

shogun knockd rampage out!!!!dude alot of people need to look at facts on this site before stating stuff....

Lol just letting you and everyone else know that was sarcasm big time lol.
enemyofmany
9/21/07 10:06:26AM
forrest def isnt overatted.he will lose,but he's fought some tough dudes,unlike alot of other tuf fighters that get sheltered by dana.he's had a tough schedule.you say he's overated cause of who he's fighting?makes no sense
Mastodon2
9/21/07 10:46:22AM

Posted by phiansouri

]yes on shogun but no on wanderli what about anderson silva. i think he has the best clinch. i know forrest is gonna lose well i think but i do hope he pulls an upset.

Yeah I should have added Anderson, but how can you say no to Wanderlei? So he doesn't use it all that often, but I'm sure you've seen him take out Rampage with it twice. Both fights were pretty even until the clinch, then it was all over for Rampage. The second time in particular was brutally hard.

I should still note that when I say these guys are good, I'm only talking about within MMA. The true best clinchers are all in Muay Thai, guys like Dieselnoi Chor Thanasukarn, who won 18 straight fights with knees from the clinch. His clinch was so feared, that he retired after only 50 fights (a relatively small number fights, all of the other revered Nak Muays usually have many more fights) but Dieselnoi had to retire early when no one would actually fight him after seeing what he did to his opponents.
mrsmiley
9/21/07 10:46:56AM
I don't think he's overrated.He's a fan favirote though,and for all the TUF fans and UFC noobs he's probably some sort of Rocky Balboa or something.
SicJits
9/21/07 4:48:42PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I don't think he's overrated.He's a fan favirote though,and for all the TUF fans and UFC noobs he's probably some sort of Rocky Balboa or something.

4000%. He not overrated, just over loved. Anyone that thinks Forrest is going to win has no idea who Shogun is. All that "he's a former pride guy, they dont do well in the cage" crap. Look listen here, name me 1 ufc guy that had no fights before fighting in the ufc?
Everyone comes from somewhere, and besides crocop, which pride fighters are doing so bad in the ufc?
Nog, close call but Herring to dumb to finish
A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ
Hendo---lost to champ in a close fight(chuckie couldn't make it close, just made it faster!)
Shogun---we'll see saturday
Wandy---chuck's next loss imo
Herring---was never a stud in pride..just there
help me out on the other "bombs"
mrsmiley
9/21/07 5:00:32PM

Posted by SicJits

Posted by mrsmiley

4000%. He not overrated, just over loved. Anyone that thinks Forrest is going to win has no idea who Shogun is. All that "he's a former pride guy, they dont do well in the cage" crap. Look listen here, name me 1 ufc guy that had no fights before fighting in the ufc?
Everyone comes from somewhere, and besides crocop, which pride fighters are doing so bad in the ufc?
A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ
Hendo---lost to champ in a close fight(chuckie couldn't make it close, just made it faster!)

Agreed.

Their's a myth that all Pride fighters are doing bad in UFC.That's complete garbage.They keep feeding the public this stuff to make their product look better and it's just complete lies.
I think all these fight fans that are claiming absolute victory for forrest have no idea how dangerous Shogun can be.Sure,Forrest has a shot,i'll give any competitor that fighters chance.But I don't think some of these people have ever seen Shogun fight,and if they did they might think a little different.
cmill21
9/21/07 6:53:54PM

Posted by SicJits

Posted by mrsmiley

A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ

I agree, Mirko's done bad, but no intelligent person should beleive he's fighting 1/2 the same as he did in Pride. There are two former Pride middle of the pack guys holding titles, I think Nog will grab the HW title. Shogun's also fought in cages before...so.
mkiv9secsupra
9/21/07 8:44:03PM
This nuthugging of Shogun really needs to stop. Hes very well rounded but his only great attribute is his clinch. Boxing and wrestling go to Forrest while kicks and BJJ go to Shogun. We know both guys have a good chin and good cardio. Forrest has a reach advantage while Shogun has the experience edge of fighting more top fighters. A simple strategy on Forrests part will be all he needs to win. Shogun is going to come in a do what he always does so Forrest will be able to study him very well. I hope Shogun wins so we can see the rematch with Rampage but i think Forrest will win.
enemyofmany
9/21/07 9:59:06PM
a.silva obviously isnt in the toughtest weightclass,everything above 185's gonna be considered better.so your saying the classes under 185,or the guy's in them,are better caliber fighters than that class?i hope not.either way, that doesnt give you the right to underestimate/or downplay his skill.id take silva over forrest.wich would never happen,but forrest will lose tommorrow.we shall see.
mkiv9secsupra
9/21/07 10:07:49PM

Posted by enemyofmany
id take silva over forrest.

because Silva is one of the best and most technical strikers in MMA.....Shogun is NOT
enemyofmany
9/21/07 10:10:19PM
though i do give forrest a chance.
cmill21
9/21/07 10:39:44PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by SicJits
A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ

A. Silva - Champ in weakest division around
Rampage - Hasnt fought Couture at LHW
Hendo - Shouldnt have even gotten a title shot since he isnt top tier at LHW
Shogun - Pretty damn good but he would lose to Rampage(in a rematch) and wandy and liddell imo
Wandy - Well lets just say he lost to Tito Ortiz
Herring - Sucks

I love Pride but saying they are better than UFC guys is unfounded....

OMG stfu about randy. He lost his last two fights at LHW, and lost twice to the guy rampage beat the hell out of twice. Everyone talks about Mirko, Fedor and all the other nuthugging, the Randy nuthugging is getting to be even bigger.
mkiv9secsupra
9/21/07 10:45:42PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by SicJits
A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ

Shogun - Pretty damn good but he would lose to Rampage(in a rematch) and wandy and liddell imo
Herring - Sucks

OMG stfu about randy. He lost his last two fights at LHW, and lost twice to the guy rampage beat the hell out of twice. Everyone talks about Mirko, Fedor and all the other nuthugging, the Randy nuthugging is getting to be even bigger.

if you can find one post where im praising randy then you are god.....its just Randy has the style to take out Rampage. Coutures losses were to Liddell! thats like saying Nog and Hunt suck because they lost to Fedor twice....And yet again MMA MATH DOES NOT WORK...
cmill21
9/21/07 10:55:06PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by SicJits
A. Silva--champ
Rampage---champ

Herring - Sucks

if you can find one post where im praising randy then you are god.....its just Randy has the style to take out Rampage. Coutures losses were to Liddell! thats like saying Nog and Hunt suck because they lost to Fedor twice....And yet again MMA MATH DOES NOT WORK...

It's not mma math, it's logic. Rampage's style is alot better to be able to beat randy then chucks was. Look at what rampage did to hendo(same style as randy). Sure he's a little smaller but Rampage IMO is still a bigger LHW then Randy. I also disagree with chuck being the LHW fedor, he's lost to randy, rampage twice, and a MW. I guess I don't see a comparison there. I'm not bashing anyone here I'm just reaaally tired about hearing how incredible randy is, this truly is a what have you done for me lately fan base. I like Randy he's a respectable guy, I like forrest also a respectable guy, but Shogun's a very very good fighter, many man people have him at #1 in the LHW div for a reason. Forrest's "big" advantage of the cage is nullified because Shogun's fought in the cage before.
Pages: [1] 2