Forrest Griffin: An Affirmative Action Case?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Forrest Griffin: An Affirmative Action Case?
Next Page »
BadSanta
4/23/07 9:19:37PM
This guy should have been bounced out of the UFC by now. Do the ongoing "second-chances" represent a form of fan-based affirmative action for this guy?

If he loses his next fight, can't we all agree that he should consider a career in tv/vcr repair?

NOTE TO ADMINS: I'm not fighter-bashing! I respect this guy but sincerely think he's not qualified to be in the Octagon.
pharside
4/23/07 9:27:23PM
what are you talking about he has 1 REAL loss in the ufc.
BadSanta
4/23/07 9:30:37PM

Posted by pharside

what are you talking about he has 1 REAL loss in the ufc.

I'll double check the numbers but the guy really is really just a novelty at this point. Do you really think this guy has what it takes to effectively compete for the belt?
xthe_scottx
4/23/07 9:32:39PM
I don't agree that he should be let go. Right now, he may not be good enough to hold a belt but he is a good fighter with room to improve who always puts on entertaining fight.
teamquestnorth
4/23/07 9:36:17PM
dude look at elvis sinosecs ufc record. he has a horrible record but I still enjoyed his fight on saturday. forrest griffin brings it and hes always down to throw. If they should get rid of anybody its bonnar
BadSanta
4/23/07 9:41:19PM

Posted by greshamfighter

dude look at elvis sinosecs ufc record. he has a horrible record but I still enjoyed his fight on saturday. forrest griffin brings it and hes always down to throw. If they should get rid of anybody its bonnar

Sinosic shouldn't be allowed in the Octagon for his own safety! That was absurd to put that guy in there as a punching bag for the hometown favorite.
pharside
4/23/07 9:43:01PM
He lost 1 rd to Tito and was owning Jardein till he got KTFO with what I'd call a lucky shot.
BadSanta
4/23/07 9:55:37PM

Posted by pharside

He lost 1 rd to Tito and was owning Jardein till he got KTFO with what I'd call a lucky shot.

That's not the fight that I saw (Jardine) and Tito grounded and pounded him in that fight (all the speculation about how Griffin supposedly won that fight was pure hype designed to keep Griffin in the UFC mix.)
mma_fan_matt
4/23/07 9:55:40PM
He may not be the best but he does put on good fights like he says he does. Entertaining fighter, I say keep him. Besides we gotta Ortiz-Griffin II.
Svartorm
4/23/07 10:01:06PM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by greshamfighter

Sinosic shouldn't be allowed in the Octagon for his own safety! That was absurd to put that guy in there as a punching bag for the hometown favorite.

And came extremely close to finishing that fight.

I don't think Griffin will hold a belt in UFC unless its years down the road and he makes some heavy progress. Although his shots are crisp, he just doesn't have the punching power to dump the upper tier of fighters and his ground game is average. I still think hes an exciting fighter, and was disappointed he didn't get to fight Machida, as that would have been a great fight I think.
p_unit23
4/23/07 10:13:00PM
forrest is good, but he isn't the fighter that you would get all excited for, at least not to me. i liked his first fight against stephan bonnar and the tito fight though, even though he lost that one.
Svartorm
4/23/07 10:14:28PM
I do. Hes not a good main event fighter, but hes a solid mid-card fighter. I've never seen a bad fight with him.
rcg916
4/23/07 10:15:38PM

Posted by greshamfighter

My thoughts exactly. Forrest is always game, Bonnar has gone downhill since he fought Griffen the first time.
Gladiator
4/23/07 10:24:10PM
why does a ufc fighter need to be a contender for the belt to remain in the ufc? there are tons of fighters in the ufc that will never even get a title shot their whole career but they are still good fighters and make great fights. his two losses werent even back-to-back. and as far as the fight with jardine what fight exactly did u see? the one where jardine came out dominating forrest on the feet and then annihilated him with superb ground game cuz i think that one was just in your head
Rush
4/23/07 10:31:53PM
Forrest has not developed that much since TUF IMO. However, I think he is good enough (so far) to still be in the UFC. I would label him a gatekeeper at this point and not a contender.
Sam_Rothstein
4/23/07 10:51:41PM
i think forrest griffin is a good fighter and was ranked pretty high in the light heavyweight division at ufc

he had a splite decision against tito ortiz who was the former ufc poster boy

i think he had a very good shot at winning the keith jardine fight he just decided to bang with jardine and jardine clipped him

it could of went the exact opposite way but it didnt and jardine ate up most of griffins attention
rcg916
4/23/07 10:53:24PM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by greshamfighter

Was I the only one that saw the knee that flattened Bisping momentarily?
Never seen a punching bag do that! He had a chance, albeit not a big one...
Rush
4/23/07 11:07:27PM
Actually I think the reason Elvis didn't secure the sub was that he was tired from the first round (or too much sweat) because it looked close to being in there.
johny_rotten
4/23/07 11:08:15PM
Forrest deserves to be in the UFC, and you are crazy for this thread. He has never been in a boring fight, and has a winning record in the UFC. I don't understand the stigma of the belt race. As we have seen in the UFC in 2007 anyone can win on any given day. I just want to see competitive, and exciting fights. Forrest brings both of those to the table every time.
Mayo
4/23/07 11:19:24PM
It is affirmative action in the sense that Dana said he's owes Forrest big time for making TUF successful and consequently making the UFC more popular. I think the first season of TUF was an experiment on thin ice and the Forrest/Bonnar fight sealed the deal in proving that the TUF concept could be successful - for that Dana is very grateful to Forrest.
JunCTion
4/24/07 12:12:55AM
i like griffen but winbs or losses, danas not gonna get rid of his 1st tv star anytime soon. which is bull cause hes gotten rid of other guys pretty quick (diaz)
he kicks him out of the ufc, then he pounds gomi, then the fritos buy pride.

griffen, sanchez, daddy, serra- they could all lose 3 fights in a row and he wont dump them cause the mainstream fans like the tv stars.
Sopena66669
4/24/07 12:12:57AM
In my opinion i would say keep Forrest he has alot of heart and always looks to put on one hell of a show for us... Untill he gets a few more loses on his record i think that there is no reason to get rid of him
JBatch
4/24/07 12:24:25AM
As Rogan or Goldie said about Joe SIlva "He likes it more if a fighter goes out and fights but loses than bore the crowd and win" (something like that)

Forrest will always go balls to the wall and the UFC will not dump him due to that. He is not the greatest fighter but has a ton of heart. Forrest is owed a lot for bringing MMA mainstream and for that alone they should keep him around.
PITBULL2
4/24/07 12:33:05AM
Forrest is a stud. He has a ton of heart for this sport and I love his personality. He can also take some serious shots and still keep throwing down. It's guys like Frank Mir who deserve to never fight in the UFC again, and don't even try to put Forrest in that category.
hook_tothe_body
4/24/07 2:05:40AM

Posted by Rush

Forrest has not developed that much since TUF IMO. However, I think he is good enough (so far) to still be in the UFC. I would label him a gatekeeper at this point and not a contender.

Exactly.

More of a gatekeeper than a contender right now, but who knows about the future. I mean, before Serra won TUF and proved that he belonged as a contender for the belt, and before he beat GSP, did anyone really consider him a belt contender?
rameydl8
4/24/07 7:49:05AM
hen not the worst fighter in the ufc and he alwyas has enertaining fights.so i dont think he should go anywhere
Buddharox
4/24/07 8:06:40AM

Posted by Mayo

It is affirmative action in the sense that Dana said he's owes Forrest big time for making TUF successful and consequently making the UFC more popular. I think the first season of TUF was an experiment on thin ice and the Forrest/Bonnar fight sealed the deal in proving that the TUF concept could be successful - for that Dana is very grateful to Forrest.

Yea, Dana said it'd have to be something really really bad for him to get rid of either Griffin or Bonner.
Manfred
4/24/07 8:16:03AM
Did you see on UFC 70? He said since he lost 2 out of his last 3, he needs to win or he's out.

UFC spent a lot of money promoting him, they aren't going to let that go to waste because of one big loss. The Tito fight was very close
Naturaldisaster
4/24/07 8:44:28AM
Anyone who thinks forrest isn't a good fighter is stupid. forrest comes out there and puts everything he has in each fight. Forrest earned my respect in griffin/bonnar I. He was awesome against sinosic. No matter what anyone says forrest won at 59 against ortiz (yeah forrest got taken down in round 3 but he still threw more elbows and landed more punches on the ground than tito), he was amazing at 62. And yeah he had a bad night at 66. He is the future of UFC, He will be LHW champion some day.
skiba97
4/24/07 10:09:07AM
Why would they even consider letting him go? hes top ten ufc lhw easy, the fans love him and hes only lost 2 fights, one of which was pretty close but youl find most people, including myself thing he should of won that fight. Yeh he got caught of jardine, big deal, do you think cro cop should be booted for getting caught? Where you starting threads about AA getting dropped when he lost 2 in a row? If forrest shows nothing in his next to fights and gets beat easily both times, then start this disscusion. I cant see that happening though.
Pages: [1] 2