Forrest deserve title shot if he wins??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Forrest deserve title shot if he wins??
hathcock32
9/11/07 9:48:05PM
If Forrest is able to beat Shogun.....does he deserve a title shot since most likely if Rua wins he will fight Rampage.
hotrodttt
9/11/07 9:53:08PM
Yeah he does , that is why he took the fight becaus he said it was the short cut to get a Title Shot

Rua22
9/11/07 9:54:18PM
yes ,he does
cowcatcher
9/11/07 10:06:52PM
i dont know who else would get it unless they give wandy a shot right away. to me forrest vs rua is the #1 contender match(with rua expected by almost everyone to win)
three_days_of_grey
9/11/07 10:21:20PM
No, although getting past Rua would be an excellent start. I feel he also needs to avenge that loss to Jardine prior to a title shot.
kopower
9/11/07 10:41:27PM
It would be huge for him but I think he should win another tough fight if he does beat shogun. But it does look like wandy and chuck will probably fight soon so I'm thinking forrest would get the shot if he wins.
Rush
9/11/07 10:55:56PM
No

If he beats Shogun, give him Wanderlei. If he beats Wanderlei, then give him a title shot.

Rampage will embarrass Forrest.
Ultimate_fighter
9/11/07 10:56:58PM
God, i hope forrest wins, underdog winning is the best thing to watch... but then he would get killed by rampage!!!
adamal
9/11/07 11:02:36PM
Of course he does. And he only needs to avenge the Jardine loss if Keith beats Chuck. If Chuck wins then Forrest is the number one contender with Chuck number two in need of one more win. If Jardine wins then maybe a rematch to decide the number one contender?
loonytnt
9/11/07 11:34:44PM
i think he does because if shogun wins he will so why should it go one way
ColdCutCombo
9/12/07 1:11:30AM

Posted by Rua22

yes ,he does

wandy wont get a free ride if shogun didnt.

i say bisping vs wandy for his debut or tito vs wandy 2
Naturaldisaster
9/12/07 7:47:04AM
I think if he beat Shogun (probably not gonna happen) he deserves the title shot. I mean if you beat rua, who is the number 1 LHW in the world, then what would you prove if you beat him then stepped down to fight lower competition like Jardine or someone? I don't think he will win but if he does then give him the shot, but if they do give him another fight it will most likely be against liddell if you ask me
Rush
9/12/07 9:12:51AM

Posted by loonytnt

i think he does because if shogun wins he will so why should it go one way

Because Shogun is 8-1 (4-0 in last 4 fights) and Forrest is 5-2 (2-2 in his last 4 fights) since 2005.
JWils
9/12/07 10:22:32AM

Posted by adamal

Of course he does. And he only needs to avenge the Jardine loss if Keith beats Chuck. If Chuck wins then Forrest is the number one contender with Chuck number two in need of one more win. If Jardine wins then maybe a rematch to decide the number one contender?

Shogun is considered the best in the world at 205 so I wouldn't have any problem at all if Forrest gets a shot IF he wins. If Jardine gets past Liddell then I agree they would need to have a rematch to decide who gets Rampage.

That would delay Rampage's next title defense but sometimes that's just how things work out.

Darnok
9/12/07 11:42:23AM
Forrest has only won 50% of his last fights. Thats like saying that CroCop should get a title fight because he lost his last two.

Forrest is just a poster boy and needs to prove he can fight before a title shot.
JWils
9/12/07 11:58:43AM

Posted by Darnok

Forrest has only won 50% of his last fights. Thats like saying that CroCop should get a title fight because he lost his last two.

Forrest is just a poster boy and needs to prove he can fight before a title shot.

Wouldn't beating Shogun be proof that he's more than a "poster boy"?
gartface
9/12/07 1:31:19PM

Posted by JWils

Posted by Darnok

Wouldn't beating Shogun be proof that he's more than a "poster boy"?

Exactly. I think that if he beats Shogun, he's easily established himself as a top contender. I really don't see why he wouldn't get the title shot. It's almost a lock that Liddell and Wandy are fighting in January (if Chuck Wins). I don't see them putting Rampage on the shelf for that long.
DJDark41
9/12/07 2:18:00PM
If he beats Shogun, he can have a freakin gold medal in my book. Beating Shogun isn't exactly easy, so I do think that Forrest will go straight to the top if he wins.
Aether
9/12/07 2:37:03PM
I don't see how he wouldn't. You can't say that if fighter A wins he gets a title shot but if fighter B wins he doesn't. Basically they are fighting each other for a title shot, whoever wins gets it as a reward. It's a two way street, same way that Gonzaga got the shot when he beat CroCop. I'm sure most people expected CroCop to win, but it doesn't mean the title shot goes to someone else because he didn't.
warglory
9/12/07 3:15:44PM
As has already been stated, Shogun is one of the best in the world, so if Forrest (regardless of his record) can get past Rua, then tell me why he doesn't deserve the shot?
Rush
9/12/07 3:51:08PM

Posted by warglory

As has already been stated, Shogun is one of the best in the world, so if Forrest (regardless of his record) can get past Rua, then tell me why he doesn't deserve the shot?

Because even a broken watch is correct twice a day.
nubby
9/12/07 4:02:53PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by warglory

Because even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Horrible analogy. Does that mean anyone could beat him? Forrest may be the underdog but it would be stupid to think that the only way he could win is through dumb luck.
Rush
9/12/07 5:29:16PM

Posted by nubby

Horrible analogy. Does that mean anyone could beat him? Forrest may be the underdog but it would be stupid to think that the only way he could win is through dumb luck.

Obviously you don't read into analogies very well.

I never stated that Forrest would only beat because he was lucky, but just because he did beat him doesn't mean that he is a superior fighter and deserves a title shot.

Consistency is just as important in sports as winning. A last place team can pound the first place team, but if they (the last place team) cannot pull together a string of wins, how on Earth are they going to make it to the playoffs and win a championship?

Forrest has not been able to pull together a consistent string of wins as of late and even with a win over Shogun has not earned the privilege of a title shot IMO. Maybe if Forrest beats Shogun and the winner of Tito/Evans he could get a shot. Like I said, Rampage would destroy Forrest and I think the last thing the UFC wants is another TUF fighter going down like Quarry.
Stickan
9/12/07 5:55:02PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by nubby

Obviously you don't read into analogies very well.

I never stated that Forrest would only beat because he was lucky, but just because he did beat him doesn't mean that he is a superior fighter and deserves a title shot.

Consistency is just as important in sports as winning. A last place team can pound the first place team, but if they (the last place team) cannot pull together a string of wins, how on Earth are they going to make it to the playoffs and win a championship?

Forrest has not been able to pull together a consistent string of wins as of late and even with a win over Shogun has not earned the privilege of a title shot IMO. Maybe if Forrest beats Shogun and the winner of Tito/Evans he could get a shot. Like I said, Rampage would destroy Forrest and I think the last thing the UFC wants is another TUF fighter going down like Quarry.

Quarry was back in 05. Since then "TUF fighters" have done pretty well for themselves wouldn't you think? 5 of them are in our MMAPG rankings and one of them is the current champion.
Shogun is by most people with MMA knowledge considered the best LHW in the world. Beating him should mean something more than just a step up in competition. He would be deserving in my eyes no doubt.
Ordep
9/12/07 6:01:41PM
No
Pitbull09
9/12/07 6:51:24PM
I think he should but they prob will have the Ortiz/Rashad winner fight him too.