When is forrest going to defend the belt?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » When is forrest going to defend the belt?
ricoj3323
8/14/08 2:30:58AM
I think forrest should defend in november since there hasnt been a main event announced about a november event but if penn vs. gsp doesnt happen in december then i think forrest should defend in december. I'm still confused on who you should defend against, i think rampage deserves a rematch but i'm sure that wont happen so it should be chuck or lyoto

when do you think forrest will defend his belt and against who
MikeyG
8/14/08 2:34:57AM
He wont defend it unless its Chuck or Rashad.
Pskinner_mma314
8/14/08 2:42:35AM
I think Forrest will fight the winner of Machida/Silva, and then whoever wins between Liddell/Evans(given he is successful defending). When is the big ? mark though. I think Rampage, like any other fallen champ should fight a few fights and win to prove he deserves another shot, just in all fairness, not sayin he doesn't deserve it. That being said, yes trilogies work well in the fight game, BUT the LHW div is so stacked right now you risk losing fighters by making them wait cuz the same to guys are gonna be the focuas of the title for at leats a year and a half, especially if those top contenders have already basically cleaned out most of their division(for ex. Silva/Machida)
ufcboss
8/14/08 3:37:49AM
Unless Rashard wins a VERY BORING fight, The winner of that fight will 100% get that fight.

Forrest would Beat both Machida and Silva imo.
Pskinner_mma314
8/14/08 4:27:51AM

If there has been anything obvious that we have seen from Forrest(since Jardine respectively), its that he has been very good attacking and avoiding the opponents power at the same time, something he will need against someone like Machida who is a counter punder. If that fight happens I could see some amazing footwork in action by both fighters, but i do still think Forrest could actually finish him, more likely with a submission, most with disagree with that but i could definitely see it happening. Against Rashad, Forrest wouldn't have to worry so much about power shots like he did against Rampage, also having roots in wrestling. So I think he could be more agressive with submissions and not have to worry about slams, and more aggressive with strikes not having to worry about power punches, emphasis on punches *note* Sean Salmon. I really do think Forrest could beat Rashad and Machida, even a rematch with Jardine. Liddell or Wandy, I would have to put my bets against my favorite fighter.
fonduktoe
8/14/08 4:56:11AM
alot of people think that if machida gets by thiago he will get a shot
unfortunately the lhw division is pretty thick so i doubt they'll give a shot to someone who is both (seemingly) unbeatable and is widely considered boring by the average mma fan. machida will have to either get some exciting finishes or beat 4 of the top 5 guys in a row before the ufc feels obligated to give him a title shot (if you doubt this than look at the way the ufc has decided in the past).
DiabloFreak56
8/14/08 10:10:45AM

Posted by fonduktoe

unfortunately the lhw division is pretty thick so i doubt they'll give a shot to someone who is both (seemingly) unbeatable and is widely considered boring by the average mma fan. machida will have to either get some exciting finishes or beat 4 of the top 5 guys in a row before the ufc feels obligated to give him a title shot (if you doubt this than look at the way the ufc has decided in the past).

thats kinda ridiculous if you read what you wrote... come on now why in the hell would he have to beat 4 of the top 5 guys.. if he beats thiago IMO he deserves a title shot or atleast a fight with the winner of chuck and rashad. people can call his strategy boring but its not its smart just because he chooses when hes gonna attack doesnt mean its boring.. and when someone does attack him he fights back as seen vs Soko. come on now really 4 out of top 5 guys is a little insane
MikeyG
8/14/08 10:30:14AM

Posted by fonduktoe

Lemon Lime Machida Haterade
wiggum
8/14/08 11:21:13AM
heres the bottom line....winner of chuck vs rashad gets the shot...END OF STORY...chuck is a fan fav and will sell tickets, plus two wins in a row over top 10 fighters after holding the belt for so long, kinda warrants a shot no matter what your opionon is on him or any other fighter....rashad has a pretty strong following to and the matchup between him and forrest would sell huge tix, plus, this unbeaten streak of his and then beating chuck, makes a decent argument for a shot anyways.....the winner of machida/silva will most likely fight the axe murderer and then that will most likely determine whos second in line.....i personally think that machida deserves the shot right now, but the all politics are holding him off....on a side note, i think rampage's next fight is gonna be shogun, so we would have to throw the winner of that in the mix somewhere as well
gsquat
8/14/08 11:28:38AM
I agree that the Winner of Liddell/Evans get the shot as that fight is taking place before Machida/Silva. I too think Machida deserves the shot now. In fact I have him ranked above Forrest at #1. With Liddell/Evans vs Forrest, its hype-able either way. Chuck is always easy to hype, and TUF winner vs TUF winner sells as well. Having said that, either Chuck or Rashad would beat Forrest. Chuck would take advantage of how Forrest leaves his head out, and Rashad would throw him around like he did Bonnar.
pv3Hpv3p
8/14/08 11:36:29AM
I see it the same way as most... Winner of Rashad / Chuck gets the next shot...

Depending on how things turn out... I could see Machida/T.Silva being the next #1 contender, but if Wand wins his next fight against a good opponent he'll have to be in the mix as well... It gets a little confusing if you add Shogun and Rampage to the mix, they should probably just fight eachother... And if Vera beats Jardine decisively then he might be moving up in the rankings (would probably take Jardine's spot at #10 on my list anyways)... To sum things up, the light heavyweight picture is very
Twenty20Dollars
8/14/08 12:00:03PM
Its either going to be chuck if he beats rashad or the winner of machida/thiago(if chuck doesnt win)

and i dont think forrest will defend his title untill jan or feb 09.

im not sure what they are going to do in november but in october they have ufc 89 on oct 18th and then ufc 90 on oct 25th but i dont think they will push ufc 90 to november.
casey64
8/14/08 12:00:07PM

Posted by ufcboss

Unless Rashard wins a VERY BORING fight, The winner of that fight will 100% get that fight.

He cant beat Silva.IMO
postman
8/14/08 12:11:20PM

Posted by casey64

Posted by ufcboss

He cant beat Silva.IMO

He def can't beat Machida
dannyfrank
8/14/08 12:12:43PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Posted by fonduktoe

thats kinda ridiculous if you read what you wrote... come on now why in the hell would he have to beat 4 of the top 5 guys.. if he beats thiago IMO he deserves a title shot or atleast a fight with the winner of chuck and rashad. people can call his strategy boring but its not its smart just because he chooses when hes gonna attack doesnt mean its boring.. and when someone does attack him he fights back as seen vs Soko. come on now really 4 out of top 5 guys is a little insane

in all honesty, the AVERAGE mma fan does consider machida to be a boring fighter.
Boo_Radley21
8/14/08 12:16:05PM
I can't see how Machida deserves a title shot. He beat Tito in a really boring fight... Tito is barely a top 10 LHW anymore, and I really can't see how beating him justifies a title shot. Maybe if he finished him or it was a dominating performance but it wasn't. The rest of his competition has been sub par IMO, with the exception of Soko, who I don't think is a top 10 either.
stock
8/14/08 1:14:08PM
IMO, I think the winner of Chuck/Rashad should get the next title shot.

Machida is great, but I don't understand the Silva fight.... seems like a step back for him and a big step up for Thiago.
gsquat
8/14/08 1:22:42PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I can't see how Machida deserves a title shot. He beat Tito in a really boring fight... Tito is barely a top 10 LHW anymore, and I really can't see how beating him justifies a title shot. Maybe if he finished him or it was a dominating performance but it wasn't. The rest of his competition has been sub par IMO, with the exception of Soko, who I don't think is a top 10 either.

Rich and BJ arent sub-par.
MikeyG
8/14/08 2:38:49PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

BJ, Rich, Bonnar, Tito, Soko and soon to be Thiago Silva yeah thats sub par comp. right there.......

He completely outclassed Tito in a fight which he had no chance of winning and would have finished Tito at the end of the 1st and up until the triangle that people wont give Machida much credit for getting out of was Tito's only hope of winning.
bullettdodger
8/14/08 9:41:31PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by fonduktoe

Lemon Lime Machida Haterade

Lemon Lime Machida Haterade indeed.
bls1919
8/14/08 10:34:35PM
It all boils down to how much damage Chuck takes in the fight with Rashad. IMO he will win. Hopfully none worse the wear and then fight Forrest soon after.
ziegler3334
8/14/08 11:15:55PM

Posted by MikeyG

BJ, Rich, Bonnar, Tito, Soko and soon to be Thiago Silva yeah thats sub par comp. right there.......

He completely outclassed Tito in a fight which he had no chance of winning and would have finished Tito at the end of the 1st and up until the triangle that people wont give Machida much credit for getting out of was Tito's only hope of winning. [/QUOTE

I agree. machida is a very polished fighter and as he showed against tito, he is very difficult to submit.
prozacnation1978
8/15/08 11:41:28AM
if rashad beats chuck and machida beats thiago i see them giving the shot to machida
but oveerall if gsp does not fight in dec and i really don't think he should he just beat 4 of the top 10 in the world in the past year he deserves some time off to rest
i think forrest would fight chuck if he wins in sept they will fight in dec card or super bowl card or

it would be shogun vs rampage
mir vs big nog
and either a franklin vs hendo fight or wandy vs franklin at 205 if he does beat hamill
LionHeartWarchild
8/16/08 1:26:15AM
Who knows but I'm sorry to say this, Griffin's LHW reign will be short. I just can't see him fending off too many opponents if any of the top names...