Forgotten legends

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Forgotten legends
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 9:37:04PM
In this thread, we or I will give appreciation to legends who are known by only a few and or selected groups - and who are likely to be forgotten.

I will first start out by giving a shout out to Eric Johnson. He is by no means close to being one of the best guitarists in the world. The bar for being the best guitarists has been set so high by Classical and Flamenco guitarists and in the category of Electric guitarists, you have the egocentric Yngwie Malmsteen who has a clear edge on all electric guitarists when it comes to technique.

Here is best recording I could find of Eric Johnson, who many of the younger generation may not have heard of....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 9:42:23PM
I would like to add Eric Johnson is playing the rhythm and the lead in this song and there is no dubbing.

Only a small population of guitarists around the world can play rhythm and lead whether it be in the studio or live.
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 10:08:08PM
Here is another legend who many of you may have never heard of...

Here is my guitar instructor. Many guitarists do not even know he is the first guitarist to be featured in Guitar Magazine.

Enjoy...

This is Zambra, one of Juan Serrano's most memorable pieces. I urge you to give this song a bit of tolerance and I can almost guarantee you will like it. I would not steer you astray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifLMT6d7h8Q
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 10:30:02PM
Another legend who many of you will never know of or study in school. He has been wrongly treated by the American society. He is a legendary inventor who we owe all or most of our technologies to...

Nikola Tesla was an innovative inventor who outclassed all his peers during his time but because he had little to no diplomacy, he was overshadowed and overlooked by other inventors of the time.

If you do not know of him but would like to, simply look him up and you will be shocked as to why you have never heard of him and or learned about him in school.

The genius lived a miserable life and died in a hotel and was easily forgotten by the American people.

I have not forgotten about you, Nikola Tesla.

http://www.teslasociety.com/biography.htm

As you are reading the biography of Tesla, you can listen to this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aubjDJc07E
KungFuMaster
7/25/11 10:43:44PM
Here is another legend named Billy Mills. He won the Olympic gold for the 10,000 meter race in which no other American was able to do.

Billy Mills
KungFuMaster
7/26/11 12:06:47AM
I guess it will just be I who will be entertaining this thread.

No worries, I have been doing that since I started my playground account.

Kpro
7/26/11 12:24:02AM
I'm
Pookie
7/26/11 12:55:46AM
Let's not forget The Rock. The most electrifying man in sports entertainment..
KungFuMaster
7/26/11 1:44:47AM
It makes me happy to know two of you have bothered to post on this thread.

My inspirations are renewed. I will post more forgotten legends tomorrow if I can think of any.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Malaussie
7/26/11 4:01:47AM
One of my heroes Cliff Young. I'm willing to bet nobody outside of Australia knows this guy. He won an Ultramarathon Sydney to Melbourne (544 miles) at the age of 61!!!!!!! He showed up to the race in overalls and gumboots. He was up against fit 20 year old professional ultramarathon runners. It took him 5 days and 15 hrs and he beat them by not stopping to sleep once! He received $10,000 for winning the race and said he didn't know there was a prize for winning and he didn't need the money so he split it between several of the other competitors and saved nothing for himself. The meaning of the word LEGEND!!!!!!!

Cliff Young
Hendo67
7/26/11 2:29:41PM
William Daniels or "George Feeny"
emfleek
7/26/11 2:35:22PM
KungFuMaster
7/26/11 4:45:15PM
Oleg Taktarov was one of the very first mma fighters who never really received the recognition he deserves even after winning ufc 6 tournament to become champion.

Many of the younger mma fans may not know of him and even some of the veteran mma fans may have forgotten about him.

Here's to you, Oleg Taktarov.

warglory
7/26/11 6:45:13PM
John Rabe - Head of Siemens (Nanking division), loyal member of the Nazi party, but also responsible for helping to set up the international safe zone during the rape of Nanking, saving over 200,000 lives. After returning to Germany, he was interrogated by the Gestapo, and while released, was also detained and interrogated by the British. Later on, Rabe was denounced for being a member of the Nazi party and his work permit was revoked which resulted in him and his family becoming destitute. In his last years, the people of Nanking bonded together to send him money, and to also make sure he received monthly food rations for him and his family. He died in 1950, with his exploits during the war never really coming to fruition until years later upon inspection of his diaries. He did some amazing things, and was stricken out of the history records because of his loyalty to Nazi Germany.
mrsmiley
7/26/11 7:26:45PM
Jaco Pastorious. The man who defined what modern electric bass is.
pmoney
7/26/11 8:16:57PM
Les Claypool - Bassist and frontman for Primus. You may know of Primus, as they did the original theme for South Park, and have been featured on the show in different ways.

In my opinion, he is easily up there with Jaco as one of the most influential bassists ever. His music is so weird, and very technically complex. He even auditioned for Metallica after their legendary bassist died... I am glad he didn't get in, because we wouldn't have Primus!

Cliff Burton - Metallica's legendary bassist. He was a musical genius as well, in my opinion. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) was one of the first songs/solos I ever learned to play on the bass. Of course I got a bass wah and Boss Bass Overdrive to get the same crunchy tone. He was just a crazy, bass playing hippy bastard.

Dolph Lundgren - Some of you may remember my post about him a while back, but this is for those of you that missed it. See, Dolph Lundgren's career as an action star could have very easily been overlooked by the JCVD's, Steven Seagal's, Chuck Norris', and Sylvester Stallone's of the eighties. In fact, I would say it was, save for Rocky IV. However, there is so much more to this man than a dude who kicked ass on film.

Dolph Lundgren's Wikipedia page
If you want the jist of it... He did his two years in Swedish Military. Has a masters in chemical engineering, and was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship to MIT. He is a 3rd Dan in Kyokushin Karate, put Stallone in a coma while filming Rocky IV, and actually fought Oleg Taktarov (search for it in the videos section of the playground).
mrsmiley
7/26/11 9:28:08PM

Posted by pmoney

Les Claypool - Bassist and frontman for Primus. You may know of Primus, as they did the original theme for South Park, and have been featured on the show in different ways.

In my opinion, he is easily up there with Jaco as one of the most influential bassists ever. His music is so weird, and very technically complex. He even auditioned for Metallica after their legendary bassist died... I am glad he didn't get in, because we wouldn't have Primus!

Cliff Burton - Metallica's legendary bassist. He was a musical genius as well, in my opinion. Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) was one of the first songs/solos I ever learned to play on the bass. Of course I got a bass wah and Boss Bass Overdrive to get the same crunchy tone. He was just a crazy, bass playing hippy bastard.

Dolph Lundgren - Some of you may remember my post about him a while back, but this is for those of you that missed it. See, Dolph Lundgren's career as an action star could have very easily been overlooked by the JCVD's, Steven Seagal's, Chuck Norris', and Sylvester Stallone's of the eighties. In fact, I would say it was, save for Rocky IV. However, there is so much more to this man than a dude who kicked ass on film.

Dolph Lundgren's Wikipedia page
If you want the jist of it... He did his two years in Swedish Military. Has a masters in chemical engineering, and was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship to MIT. He is a 3rd Dan in Kyokushin Karate, put Stallone in a coma while filming Rocky IV, and actually fought Oleg Taktarov (search for it in the videos section of the playground).

On personal taste, I never was a huge fan of Claypool but have an immense amount of respect for him. The guy has his own candyland of sounds and the world of music is the better for it.

Speaking of music,a group that fits into this catergory is The Dixie Dreggs and the Steve Morse band. Dave Larue's slap bass for Stressfess is down right insane!
KungFuMaster
7/27/11 12:38:25AM
Great contributions, you guys. I owe you props as soon as I spread the love some more.
prophecy033
7/28/11 5:16:47PM
Art Jimmerson aka one glove
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1