How much force for a punch to send 400 lbs bag flying into the air ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » How much force for a punch to send 400 lbs bag flying into the air ?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Lolok
3/25/12 1:17:56PM
WBO cruiserweight boxer, Enzo Maccarinelli who weigh around 170 pounds, have a punch measured around 7716 pounds. Just Google it.
Poor_Franklin
3/25/12 1:57:55PM

Posted by Lolok

WBO cruiserweight boxer, Enzo Maccarinelli who weigh around 170 pounds, have a punch measured around 7716 pounds. Just Google it.

WOW! if they can punch that hard, there's no telling how hard they can kick!
Lolok
3/25/12 2:03:54PM
Do you think that his kick's gonna be stronger than his punch?
warglory
3/25/12 3:47:50PM

Posted by Lolok

Posted by warglory

Posted by Lolok

Are you all serious about this topic? Hahaha. But I'm still thinking that a boxer can throw a more powerful punch than kick. A kick generate force from the legs and hips, whereas a punch actually generate force from arms, hips, leg and body weight. The most powerful boxer punch, if I recalled can be more powerful than strongest kick. If you think this is nonsense, then just stick to your beliefs only.

See, now you're just being difficult, and maybe you are trolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQINqPI7S0

1000 lbs of force. Houston Alexander, when he tested his punching force, only generated 800 lbs of force. And what's more impressive, the muay thai fighter in the test kick weighs around 150 lbs I believe, while Houston Alexander is a light heavyweight. If you can give us some evidence that a puncher and a kicker in the same weight class, can back up your opinion, I'd like to see it.

Btw, Tyson's punch is registered at 1800 psi. Do you know how to cenvert psi into pound of force?

Back up your opinion with some comparisons.
Lolok
3/25/12 7:46:07PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Lolok

Posted by warglory

Posted by Lolok

Are you all serious about this topic? Hahaha. But I'm still thinking that a boxer can throw a more powerful punch than kick. A kick generate force from the legs and hips, whereas a punch actually generate force from arms, hips, leg and body weight. The most powerful boxer punch, if I recalled can be more powerful than strongest kick. If you think this is nonsense, then just stick to your beliefs only.

See, now you're just being difficult, and maybe you are trolling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maQINqPI7S0

1000 lbs of force. Houston Alexander, when he tested his punching force, only generated 800 lbs of force. And what's more impressive, the muay thai fighter in the test kick weighs around 150 lbs I believe, while Houston Alexander is a light heavyweight. If you can give us some evidence that a puncher and a kicker in the same weight class, can back up your opinion, I'd like to see it.

Btw, Tyson's punch is registered at 1800 psi. Do you know how to cenvert psi into pound of force?

Back up your opinion with some comparisons.

WBO cruiserweight boxer, Enzo Maccarinelli who weigh around 170 pounds, have a punch measured around 7716 pounds. Just Google it. 170 lbs and 150 lbs are not very far. If he weigh at 150 lbs, I think he still punch harder than Menor's kick. But then I realised, actually it's depends on individual. Now you can keep saying a kick is infinitely stronger than a punch, and well that's just your opinion.
Pookie
3/25/12 7:51:20PM
You need to divide that number by the square surface area of the fist.

Considering that i have small hands, and the surface area or my fist is about 8 sq. inches. I don't think its a stretch to say that boxer hits with probably less than 1000psi. Especially if he's a 170 lbs boxer.
Pookie
3/25/12 7:54:34PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by Lolok

What's the physics behind that kick is harder than punch?

mass X acceleration= Force.

Aether
3/25/12 9:51:53PM
lol... This guy is either a troll or something else that I'm not allowed to say without getting a warning.

First off, the talk about "person X can punch with Y amount of force" is invalid. If you want to make a comparison between the _potential_ force of two strikes, you need to assume certain variables are constant, or optimal (ie, the guy knows how to punch and kick with perfect or at least equivalent levels of technique, and the same person is throwing both strikes, because different body mass and technique will alter the output).

As far as the reason that a kick has a higher _potential_ output of force than a punch, F=MA obviously is the basic reasoning behind how force is measured, but the main reason that a kick has more potential to generate force has to do with the arc of movement more than what part of your body mass is applied to the strike, although yeah, the fact that legs are heavier than arms makes a difference.

Imagine a small rock attached to the end of a string. If you twirl the string so that the rock moves in a circle, there's a gradient of force as you move up the string. The middle of the string is tracing a circle with a certain circumference, and the rock at the end of the string is tracing a much larger circle in the same amount of time, move down to your fingers where you're holding the string and your hand is barely moving at all to create the movement of the string.

Since each part of the string is moving a different distance over the same period, they must move at different speeds, the farther up the string you go (or the longer the object travelling along a given arc of motion) the faster it will necessarily be moving, and the more force it will generate.

Basically you can hit harder with a kick because your legs are longer, and as a result, a kick travels over a longer distance, a lot faster, along an equivalent arc, as a punch would. The same reasoning explains why looping punches and hooks tend to carry more weight than a straight punch.
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 12:42:59AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about - but the most powerful strike, which has been recently recorded, is the death punch. It was demonstrated by a guy who studied Ninjitsu or something like that...

The force generated from that particular death punch was said to be equivalent of a car-crash with a velocity of 40 mph.

Death punch
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 12:50:08AM
Here is the full length video - it starts about the 4 minute mark.

death punch
Adrenaline
3/26/12 12:54:48AM
War Glory first brought up Sports Science so props to him but here is another great example for Lolok if he still has his doubts. Its the episode with Shogun who I think is a great example to use because he is proficient with kicks and punches. They test the amount of force that one of his punches generates and then immediately test how much force one of his kicks generate. Then, even better they discuss why kicks are more potent than punches. This single clip pretty much affirms what we have all been saying. I know this show is not always consistent but it did a good job of summing up the topic.

I won't spoil the video but his punch is about half.....
Lolok
3/26/12 1:16:51AM
Actually it depends on individuals. Some can kick harder than they can punch, some can punch harder than they can kick.
Pookie
3/26/12 1:30:54AM

Posted by Lolok

But then again, the single strongest strike I know is a punch. Actually it depends on individuals. Some can kick harder than they can punch, some can punch harder than they can kick.

But then again, someone could tickle harder than they could poke.
Lolok
3/26/12 1:32:47AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Lolok

But then again, the single strongest strike I know is a punch. Actually it depends on individuals. Some can kick harder than they can punch, some can punch harder than they can kick.

Yes, of course.
Adrenaline
3/26/12 2:08:53AM

Posted by Lolok

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Lolok

Yes, of course.

But then again, someone could rub harder than they could stroke.
Lolok
3/26/12 2:11:31AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by Lolok

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Lolok

Yes, of course.

lol, I know it's you.
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 2:19:19AM
Theoretically, if one can harness the same technique as shown in the death punch - into a kick, the kick would obviously generate more power. BUT - because we humans have more mastery over our arms than our legs, it is that much more difficult to translate the death punch technique into the legs.

The guy who mastered the death punch- spent 15 years studying and practicing it to get it to where it is now. I would imagine it would take an awful lot more time to translate the technique into the legs - simply because humans tend to develop fine motor skills within their arms since birth and will continue to master it throughout their lives. The legs, on the other hand, are mostly used for walking and running which I believe are gross motor skills.

The point I'm trying to make is - it takes mastery level of fine motor skills to correctly execute the technique of the death punch which I believe would be Chuck Norrisly difficult for the naturally unrefined legs.
Pookie
3/26/12 2:23:54AM
The dim mak is more location than anything. If you kneed someone in the solar plexus it would register harder than the Dim mak.
Pookie
3/26/12 2:27:19AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by Pookie

If it rhymes then it must be true.
Lolok
3/26/12 2:28:45AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Theoretically, if one can harness the same technique as shown in the death punch - into a kick, the kick would obviously generate more power. BUT - because we humans have more mastery over our arms than our legs, it is that much more difficult to translate the death punch technique into the legs.

The guy who mastered the death punch- spent 15 years studying and practicing it to get it to where it is now. I would imagine it would take an awful lot more time to translate the technique into the legs - simply because humans tend to develop fine motor skills within their arms since birth and will continue to master it throughout their lives. The legs, on the other hand, are mostly used for walking and running which I believe are gross motor skills.

The point I'm trying to make is - it takes mastery level of fine motor skills to correctly execute the technique of the death punch which I believe would be Chuck Norrisly difficult for the naturally unrefined legs.

So what do you think about Bruce Lee feat of kicking 300lbs bag flying and thumping the ceiling, is it even possible?
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 2:29:38AM

Posted by Pookie

The dim mak is more location than anything. If you kneed someone in the solar plexus it would register harder than the Dim mak.

I think the Death punch and the Dim Mak are two different strikes. I'm not sure though because I don't know much about the Dim Mak.
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 2:34:44AM

Posted by Lolok

Posted by KungFuMaster

So what do you think about Bruce Lee feat of kicking 300lbs bag flying and thumping the ceiling, is it even possible?

Is it possible? Definitely

It would have to be more of a push rather than a snapping kick. The leaping push side kick by Bruce can definitely do it.
Lolok
3/26/12 2:42:51AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Lolok

Posted by KungFuMaster

It would have to be more of a push rather than a snapping kick. The leaping push side kick by Bruce can definitely do it.

What kind of punch that can do the same feat? Do you know any?
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 2:43:30AM
KungFuMaster
3/26/12 2:50:06AM

Posted by Lolok

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Lolok

Posted by KungFuMaster

What kind of punch that can do the same feat? Do you know any?

If it's going to be a punch, it would have to be more of a push. It would be nearly impossible for a snapping human punch to move a 300 lb object the way a push will.
Aether
3/26/12 3:26:31AM
trollololol
Lolok
3/26/12 3:32:15AM

Posted by Aether

trollololol

TROLLOLOLOL

Lolok
4/14/12 10:44:35PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by Lolok

What's the physics behind that kick is harder than punch?

I wouldn't quote me on this because it's been a long time since I've researched stuff like this, but speaking from a the perspective of muscles involved in the motion of a punch and a kick, the punch is normally going to be weaker than a kick due to the power of the muscles involved. The power a person has in their legs is far greater than the power a person has in their arms, even though a proficient puncher is using more than just the muscles in their arms, but still, I doubt the muscles used can generate the power people have in their legs. The hamstring and the thigh muscles and the other muscles in the legs are EXTREMELY powerful. Everyone uses and constantly work those muscles in some capacity everyday. An example of relative strength, back when i was lifting weights in high school, I would bench around 175 lbs as my rep weight, but on the leg press (i believe that's the name of the thing), I would lift around 600-700 lbs or so as my regular rep weight. It's a difference in the amount of force that the muscles involved in kicking can generate compared to the amount of force the muscles involved in punching can generate. Again though, I wouldn't quote me on this, as I'm sure there are people here on the playground that are more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

The hamstring and the thigh muscles and the other muscles in the legs are EXTREMELY powerful. Everyone uses and constantly work those muscles in some capacity everyday. An example of relative strength, back when i was lifting weights in high school, I would bench around 175 lbs as my rep weight, but on the leg press (i believe that's the name of the thing), I would lift around 600-700 lbs or so as my regular rep weight. It's a difference in the amount of force that the muscles involved in kicking can generate compared to the amount of force the muscles involved in punching can generate.

It's all about the leg press sled machine mate. The leg press stabilizes the lifter and moves weights in a direction that is not vertical, so it is possible for many people to leg press very heavy weights. Not necessarily because of leg muscles.
Aether
4/14/12 11:30:42PM
get out of here, troll.
Lolok
4/15/12 2:03:24AM

Posted by Aether

get out of here, troll.

Pages: 1 [2] 3