Forbes Magazine's 25 Top-earning athletes, 2007

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Forbes Magazine's 25 Top-earning athletes, 2007
AchillesHeel
1/30/08 11:44:54AM
Forbes Magazine has published it's World's Top-earning Athletes of 2007.

I'd be surprised if any MMA fighters were even in the Top 500 best-paid athletes. I seem to recall Dana White saying that the UFC had "a couple of millionaires" in 2006 or 2007 - Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz would be my guess.

The minimum salary in Major League Baseball, for example, is $390,000 in 2008, and the average salary is almost $3m a year. The average player salary of the Premier League of the English FA topped £1.1m last Summer (approx. $2.2m).

Anyway, the list (all figures in USD):

25. Maria Sharapova, tennis, $23m
24. Allen Iverson, basketball, $23.3m
23. Reggie Bush, American football, $23.8m
22. Kevin Garnett, basketball, $24.3m
21. Jeff Gordon, auto racing, $24.5m
20. Arnold Palmer, golf, $25m
19. Leonard Davis, American football, $25.4m
18. Vijay Singh, golf, $25.8m
17. Yao Ming, basketball, $26.3m
16. Floyd Mayweather, boxing, $26.5m
15. LeBron James, basketball, $27.3m
14. Derek Jeter, baseball, $28.3m
13. Roger Federer, tennis, $29m
12. Alex Rodriguez, baseball, $29.2m
11. Valentino Rossi, motorcycling, $30m
9 (t). Ronaldinho, soccer/football, $31m
9 (t). Michael Jordan, basketball, $31m
8. Shaquille O'Neill, basketball, $31.9
7. Kobe Bryant, basketball, $32.9m
6. David Beckham, soccer/football, $33m
5. Michael Schumacher, auto racing, $36m
4. Kimi Raikkonen, auto racing, $40m
3. Phil Mickelson, golf, $42.2m
2. Oscar de la Hoya, boxing, $43m
1. Tiger Woods, golf, $100 m
juanez13
1/30/08 11:48:11AM
ahh i see you changed it, or i just read it wrong, but yea im surprised mayweather didnt make more, having fought De la Hoya and hatton both in 07, unless im mistaken and he fought hatton in 08,......but yea MMA fighter arent even close, the millioner in MMA would be chuck, tito, and randy (dana had mentioned him be4).....and i doubt any of them man over 5$ Mil a year, which isnt bad at all (i wish i made that much) but compared to other sport is fairly low.............Fedor is making quite a bit, 2$ Mil a fight isnt bad at all......
TNunley
1/30/08 12:16:58PM
While I agree that Chuck, Tito, and Randy have probably earned at least one million, and probably more than one in their careers... I think the only one who made at least a million in one year with "MMA only" money would probably be Chuck and Randy. That is probably the first for Randy though, and probably one of the lowest paying years for Chuck.
Boo_Radley21
1/30/08 12:31:16PM
Randy's loaded his house is crazy lol.
krthll1
1/30/08 12:34:24PM
I don't think Vijay Singh will be on their next year. He may not win a tournament this season. I'm surprised Mayweather makes less than De La Hoya. I would rather have De La Hoya make more anyway. Hes not in it for the money.
Rush
1/30/08 2:43:09PM
These figures are heavily skewed by endorsements. Not only do MMA fighters typically make low end salaries compared to other pro sports, I don't think any of them will get the endorsement money that these other athletes get.

I mean, the Xyience market is a little smaller than Canon, Rebock or Gilette (to name a few)
jiujitsufreak74
1/30/08 2:56:23PM

Posted by krthll1

I'm surprised Mayweather makes less than De La Hoya. I would rather have De La Hoya make more anyway. Hes not in it for the money.

i call shenanigans on this one. there is no way a guy comes out of retirement to fight if money wasn't a driving force. to say he isn't in it for the money yet makes 42 million dollars in one year is kidding yourself imo.
rcg916
1/30/08 3:00:11PM

Posted by krthll1

I don't think Vijay Singh will be on their next year. He may not win a tournament this season. I'm surprised Mayweather makes less than De La Hoya. I would rather have De La Hoya make more anyway. Hes not in it for the money.

DLH makes most of his off his promotion company, Golden Boy Productions.

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i call shenanigans on this one. there is no way a guy comes out of retirement to fight if money wasn't a driving force. to say he isn't in it for the money yet makes 42 million dollars in one year is kidding yourself imo.

When you come out of retirement, Id guess that money would be the ONLY driving force, if you ask me. I agree JJFreak.
Bemin
1/30/08 3:15:30PM
Its crazy that Jordan is still in the top 10, hell of a legacy to still be pulling off that kinda sponsership money in 2007!
madmarck
1/30/08 3:29:30PM
Kobe makes more than Shaq. Feud Settled Kobe Wins.
hippysmacker
1/30/08 4:24:13PM

Posted by TNunley

While I agree that Chuck, Tito, and Randy have probably earned at least one million, and probably more than one in their careers... I think the only one who made at least a million in one year with "MMA only" money would probably be Chuck and Randy. That is probably the first for Randy though, and probably one of the lowest paying years for Chuck.

Actually Randy stated on the radio that he made over a million in 05 and 06, and he only fought once in 06, when he was protesting Sylvias comments that he only came back for a paycheck. He made 2.9 million in 07in only 2 fights . I would wonder if he actually could have made more than Chuck last year, if Chuck didn't have an extra fight. Hopefully someday MMA guys will make money comparative to boxers.
roger
1/30/08 8:20:14PM
tiger woods makes the most money
SpiderSilva
1/31/08 1:39:09AM
I read that they make wat more in indorsements like 150 mil a jear I dont know but Id be happy to be in the top 25
SpiderSilva
1/31/08 1:41:34AM
Leonard Davis the lineman I thought Payton Manning would have made this list being one of the top paid NFLers as well as having the most comercals on TV
Shawn91111
1/31/08 2:44:38AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Leonard Davis the lineman I thought Payton Manning would have made this list being one of the top paid NFLers as well as having the most comercals on TV

Davis has to be eating some of those millions, that guy is friggin' huge.
mrblonde55
2/1/08 12:26:59PM
It has always amazed me that professional athletes make this much money. We have scientists and doctors that cure diseases and save lives that don't make a fraction of what these athletes are making.
Rush
2/1/08 1:48:18PM

Posted by mrblonde55

It has always amazed me that professional athletes make this much money. We have scientists and doctors that cure diseases and save lives that don't make a fraction of what these athletes are making.

I'm a scientist. Tell me about it.

There was a comment once made by an NBA coach and he said that he feels that nobody should make more money a year than the president.

It makes sense, but it wont happen. Certain industries make so much money that unless they gave a substantial portion of their profits away to charity, someone in the industry would have to take home the money.