footwork

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » footwork
ko-kbo130
6/28/07 11:40:55AM
ive been boxing for a few months now but im having a problem with my footwork when i throw a long combo. does anyone have any advice to help me with this?
Mastodon2
6/28/07 11:58:09AM
Can't really help unless you tell us what the problem is!

I assume your problem is that when you are throwing long combos you are just planting your feet, instead of moving constantly, to which I would ask why its such a problem - personally I like to keep on the move and use short combos, counters and strong single strikes to wear my opponents down, and then dont thrown a long combo until they are done, and Its just to finish them off, at this point I dont think crisp footwork is all that important since I wouldnt do this unless they really were on the way out, and I knew they couldnt counter me. Even then I tend to stay bouncy on the balls of my feet, rather than just plant on the spot.

ko-kbo130
6/28/07 12:43:39PM
well the problem is my feet move to much. i normally jus throw short combos but even when hitting a bag or something my feet feel like they are slipping out from under me.
fedorwins1
6/28/07 12:48:29PM
Maybe your floor is slippery?. It will come with practice, you will gain better balance.
ko-kbo130
6/28/07 1:04:22PM
well its not slipper because its carpet. do you guys know any drills i c an do to help it?
Mastodon2
6/28/07 6:48:20PM
Is your base wide enough? You need to have a nice wide base and stay springy on the balls of your feet, if you are planting to lay on a long combo, widen your legs a little bit, tuck your chin in and lean forward a little bit, you only have to shift your centre of balance very slightly.
Rush
6/28/07 7:26:29PM
Shouldn't this be a question you ask your boxing instructor?
fedorwins1
6/28/07 7:46:20PM

Posted by Rush

Shouldn't this be a question you ask your boxing instructor?

I know I think this alot also, why would you ask people over the internet and not your instructor? I have to because I don't have a gym to go to, but that's all gonna change!
ko-kbo130
6/28/07 8:58:47PM
well i was just thinking about it today so i figured id come on here and ask. i dnt train with him again until tuesday. im deffinatly gunna ask him than but i was thinking about it this morning and i was bored so i figured what the hell let me see what other people think.
Rush
6/28/07 9:41:03PM
I see. I was just wondering.
bayonetxwork
6/28/07 10:09:44PM
I'm not a big fan of long combos, I'd rather just go in, shoot about 3 or 4, back out, change angles, try again, etc. But my guess would be your technique is just off, you still need to maintain fundamentals when using long combos, my guess is your slacking off there and all the punches are causing you to shift your weight around. If you don't have a gym, my recommendation is get a wall mirror so you can see yourself, either that or use a video camera so you can try and see what you're doing wrong. Hope it helps.
johny_rotten
6/30/07 3:27:27PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

I'm not a big fan of long combos, I'd rather just go in, shoot about 3 or 4, back out, change angles, try again, etc. But my guess would be your technique is just off, you still need to maintain fundamentals when using long combos, my guess is your slacking off there and all the punches are causing you to shift your weight around. If you don't have a gym, my recommendation is get a wall mirror so you can see yourself, either that or use a video camera so you can try and see what you're doing wrong. Hope it helps.

The mirror and camera advice are the best you are going to get. I trained at a lot of gyms, and every one always comes back to this.

To add to this you need to shadow box then shadow box, and then shadow box some more. Go slow so you can see where you are losing your footwork, and make the correction at a slow pace. Slowly pick up the pace as you get more comfortable.