football/hockey/rugby in mma?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » football/hockey/rugby in mma?
danny81
10/13/07 5:59:42PM
this may sound stupid but can you use any of the things you learned from these sports in mma?
tuvok500
10/13/07 6:54:07PM
the cardio for sure !!

rugby and football are pretty tuff for the body, so the musculation should help you in mma !!

steve bosse is now fighting in TKO, he was a goon in hochey, well, i don't think he will become a champ, but he won is 2 or 3 first fight !!

Mastodon2
10/13/07 7:19:31PM
The Cardio and thats about it. The rules about takedowns and not striking or tackling certain body parts kind of takes any offensive capabilities out of Rugby. A Rugby tackle has nothing on a proper takedown.
danny81
10/14/07 12:35:22AM
ur not aloud to tackle? what about in the earlier ufcs when the only rules were no eye gouging and w.e. do youthink these sports could have helped?
Mastodon2
10/14/07 6:47:19AM
No what I'm saying is, Rugby is set up so you can't be too aggressive or do anything dangerous, so you won't learn any combat skills playing rugby, and the Rugby tackle is nowhere near as effective as a proper takedown anyway.
Mitchell740
10/14/07 8:05:09PM

Posted by danny81

ur not aloud to tackle? what about in the earlier ufcs when the only rules were no eye gouging and w.e. do youthink these sports could have helped?

You can tackle all you want, the problem is that.

1) You are going to take alot more damage in a tackle than in a shot. If you run in with your head down you are probably going to get KOed (Wrestling takedown)
2) With someone who can sprawl, your going to end up with your face in the canavas.
Vendetta
10/20/07 5:34:33PM
Only the cardio and competitive mindset.
Svartorm
10/21/07 5:06:20AM
I seem to recall some pro-rugby guy fighting in Pride and getting the holy shit kicked out of him. I think he fought James Thompson, but I'm not entirely sure.
malekomaddox
10/21/07 9:46:12AM
I dont think success in those sports would translate into success in mma. just look at johnnie morton, he got his ass kicked in under a minute.
danny81
10/21/07 1:37:34PM
i agree mainly but i mean if some big line backer or rugby plyuer came full speed runnng across the thing they could take down most guys and it would hurt like hell
Mitchell740
10/22/07 9:25:31PM

Posted by danny81

i agree mainly but i mean if some big line backer or rugby plyuer came full speed runnng across the thing they could take down most guys and it would hurt like hell

If they are running full speed at you, a jab might KO them, let alove an uppercut, knee, hook or elbow.

That sounds like a good idea in theory, but it's very unlikely to work.