Flyweights are coming, but UFC on Versus 6's Demetrious Johnson not ready to drop

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Flyweights are coming, but UFC on Versus 6's Demetrious Johnson not ready to drop
jjeans
10/2/11 6:40:26AM
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The flyweights are coming. Demetrious Johnson, though, isn't quite ready to join the pack.

Johnson failed in his attempt to take UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz's title in the main event of Saturday's UFC on Versus 6 event at Washington, D.C.'s Verizon Center.

But if you think the loss is going to prompt the UFC's shortest fighter to drop a weight class, think again.

Johnson (9-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) matched the usual speed and swift footwork of Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC). But with the champ's takedowns and controlling top game, Johnson just couldn't muster any sustained attacks, and he won a single round on just one judge's card.

LINK
prozacnation1978
10/2/11 5:21:53PM
Ufc is already having a hard time selling featherweight and bantam. Right now they can't even headline a pay per view. One reason why the title fight was on tv last night. I think flyweights shouldn't happen for at least another year
Cooler
10/2/11 5:36:11PM
imo Flyweights cant sell tickets when the Bantamweight champion hardly can.
ghandikush
10/2/11 9:43:06PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Ufc is already having a hard time selling featherweight and bantam. Right now they can't even headline a pay per view. One reason why the title fight was on tv last night. I think flyweights shouldn't happen for at least another year

Thats probably because people need time to be aware of the divisions. Did you know who the hell mightymouse was? I knew he beat Yammamoto but thats all. They dont have any stars.
Aether
10/2/11 11:00:52PM
not sure why he wouldn't want to claim a belt at 125, it seems pretty clear that he can't deal with cruz's strength.