Floyd Mayweather Sr. Can Train BJ Penn To Box And Freddie Roach Can Wash His Car

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Floyd Mayweather Sr. Can Train BJ Penn To Box And Freddie Roach Can Wash His Car
DCRage
1/7/11 10:01:39AM
So says Papa Pretty Boy when it comes to preparing Penn for Jon Fitch at UFC 127. "BJ Penn is a cool dude man. I'll be honest, at first, it didn't seem like he could fight that good. I mean, I don't know about his ground game and all of that stuff, but he's got some pop and in just the three days I've been working with him, he has improved man. In his words, man, he told me, 'I ain't never seen some of this stuff you're showing me man.' And that's only after three days. BJ is learning fast man. He's a good guy...If BJ throws his shots the way I got him throwing his shots, he will win. See, those guys throwing shots different than the way we do it, so I'm teaching BJ how to keep it standing and be effective. Let me tell you something man, if he uses it, then it will work. I bet he ain't going back to [Freddie Roach] either. He worked with Freddie 'The Joke Coach' Roach, and he telling me he has never see the stuff I'm showing him. So what does that tell you? Man, the only thing Freddie Roach can do better than me is wash my car."

Article
icantthinkofanything
1/7/11 10:38:47AM
Bj I hope you demolish Fitch.
Unless Condit finishes Lytle in devastating fassion,
If Bj looks great fighting,and he beats Fitch, he should get the winner of GSP and Jake imo.

gartface
1/7/11 10:45:04AM

Love the sound of this. I would think even before training with Floyd Sr, he'd have a huge advantage standing.
BigIP
1/7/11 11:10:52AM
Watching Frankie stuff Gray's takedown attempts gives me hope BJ will be able to do the same thing to the much bigger Fitch.
gartface
1/7/11 11:13:22AM

Posted by BigIP

Watching Frankie stuff Gray's takedown attempts gives me hope BJ will be able to do the same thing to the much bigger Fitch.

BJ would have to rely on Fitch punching himself out and gassing. Unfortunately I think Fitch will be able to land takedowns.
BigIP
1/7/11 11:33:04AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by BigIP

BJ would have to rely on Fitch punching himself out and gassing. Unfortunately I think Fitch will be able to land takedowns.

Good point. I want to go back and watch the Diego/Fitch fight. Diego did a very good job on the ground with Fitch and if he had the standup to hurt Fitch (like BJ has) he might have won that fight.
pmoney
1/7/11 12:45:31PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Bj I hope you demolish Fitch.
Unless Condit finishes Lytle in devastating fassion,
If Bj looks great fighting,and he beats Fitch, he should get the winner of GSP and Jake imo.

I was thinking if Condit beats Lytle and Kampmann beats Sanchez, Condit and Kampmann could rematch for #1 contender status, or possibly a title shot. Although I would be bummed if they fought again as I like them both and would love to see them both get a crack at the belt!

And while I agree that the winner of Fitch-Penn will probably get the title shot, (assuming GSP beats Shields) GSP has beat BJ twice and Fitch once before. And considering Fitch has a current 5 fight win streak and is 13-1 in the UFC, I feel he deserves a title shot more than BJ if he wins. I would like to see BJ win one more fight after this at 170 before a title shot.
FastKnockout
1/7/11 12:55:34PM
Fitch by unanimous decision, that's all I'm going to say.
MisterFreeze
1/7/11 1:56:23PM
Was BJ training with Floyd Mayweather before his fight with Matt Hughes?

Do you guys remember GSP vs Fitch? GSP hit Fitch with everything he had and Fitch would not die, so i'm guessing BJ will be unable to finish him either. Fitch has heart and is incredibly resilient. It's going to decision.
Sir_Karl
1/7/11 2:35:58PM
While I think his comments are on the disrespectful and rude side I do know where Mayweather is coming from with those comments. BJ has excellent and above average boxing skills from an MMA standpoint...but not from a boxing standpoint.
I feel that most MMA fighters need better boxing instruction and they also need to spend more of their training time in the "boxing realm". It irritates me to see fighters at the top of the sport with poor footwork and poor punching technique etc.