Florian wants Huerta next

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Florian wants Huerta next
Next Page »
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/3/08 11:11:30AM
Kenny Florian (9-3 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who defeated Joe Lauzon in the main event of Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 13, could be next in line for a title shot. However, the 31-year-old fighter has his sites set on another fight with one of the division's biggest stars: Roger Huerta (20-1-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC).

ThaAxeMurderer7
4/3/08 11:12:41AM
damn, I forgot to put the link Link
fly24hops
4/3/08 11:14:26AM
WOW i would love to see this fight i think Huerta needs another fight or two before he can beat Ken-flo but i would still like to watch this fight
ohiostate1016
4/3/08 11:20:59AM
Even though I'm a big fan of Huerta, I'd have to take Florian in this fight. He's just too tough for just about anyone in the UFC right now at 155. How about those elbows?
silverbullet
4/3/08 11:34:32AM
KENNY FINISHES FIGHTS
grappler0000
4/3/08 11:36:53AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Even though I'm a big fan of Huerta, I'd have to take Florian in this fight. He's just too tough for just about anyone in the UFC right now at 155. How about those elbows?

I agree that Florian is a good fighter, who continues to improve...but they have been avoiding giving him well rounded wrestlers like Huerta. I know Kenny has improved drastically since TUF, but Diego manhandled him in the finale. Sherk, who never really utilizes his standup too much, was able to lay on him for 5 rounds. Kenny IMO would struggle with Huerta, Griffin, Edgar, Maynard, Guida, and even Tavares...and Penn of coarse would crush him.
BMF
4/3/08 11:40:42AM
Agree
rabbit915
4/3/08 11:43:28AM
I really want to see this fight. It would be an absolute war.

As for the winner, I have to say i would take Florian by whatever Huerta leaves open. Thats the thing about Florian, hes dangerous everywhere. You try to strike with him, so you take him down but he has absolutely sick BJJ and then he works you there with submissions or GnP. Whatever your weakness is Florian will beat you there.

I dont think Huerta is nearly as good of a wrestler as Sherk is and i think Florian might be able to beat Sherk eventually (ecspecially without certain supplements).

grappler0000
4/3/08 11:47:22AM

Posted by rabbit915

I really want to see this fight. It would be an absolute war.

As for the winner, I have to say i would take Florian by whatever Huerta leaves open. Thats the thing about Florian, hes dangerous everywhere. You try to strike with him, so you take him down but he has absolutely sick BJJ and then he works you there with submissions or GnP. Whatever your weakness is Florian will beat you there.

I dont think Huerta is nearly as good of a wrestler as Sherk is and i think Florian might be able to beat Sherk eventually (ecspecially without certain supplements).

Huerta wouldn't have to be a better wrestler than Sherk. He would only have to be better than Florian...which is the case.
Twenty20Dollars
4/3/08 11:53:25AM
I think Huerta takes this fight. Huerta is much bigger and stronger, let's it all hang out. Prolly has better stand up and wrestling and a better chin i suppose than kenny. Maybe kenny could win via submission, but I doubt it I see it as Huerta just dominating the fight, by either dominating the striking, making kenny want to take it to the ground and is denied. Huerta doing ground and pound from the top. Either getting a tko or decision. But i also have to give kenny a chance for a submission win, he's crafty. Really wish he would have lost to Joe.

I think huerta stands a better chance againest sherk or bj, being the bigger guy at 155, like bj and sherk. IMO
Aaronno9
4/3/08 11:55:31AM
Id like to see this fight. I like huerta, dont get me wrong, but i think hes overrated at this point, and i think kenny would tko him. Its a good move for florian becouse its a very winnable fight, against a guy with one of the biggest names in the ufc right now.
CactusBob
4/3/08 12:15:33PM
I keep underestimating Florian's standup. I gave him a disadvantage on the feet in a couple of his previous fights, but he keeps controlling. Did anyone notice that kick he landed on Lauzon? I am not sure if the kick knocked Lauzon over or out briefly, but it was while Lauzon was shooting in, and it was a beast of a kick.
silverbullet
4/3/08 12:52:30PM

Posted by CactusBob

I keep underestimating Florian's standup. I gave him a disadvantage on the feet in a couple of his previous fights, but he keeps controlling. Did anyone notice that kick he landed on Lauzon? I am not sure if the kick knocked Lauzon over or out briefly, but it was while Lauzon was shooting in, and it was a beast of a kick.

i saw that kick and it was a beast. I think that kick knocked all the will out of Lauzon, you could even see it in his eyes. He had that look like "WTF was that??" like he was hit by a car or something. His only hope from then on was to take Kenny down, but Kenny's BJJ was dominant. Joe did have a couple of nice ankle locks, and those are nasty, and i dont know how close he was to finishing.

Kenny will struggle with strong lay and pray artists like Maynard or Sherk. Kenny has everything down except for wrestling.
jae_1833
4/3/08 2:31:07PM
This is a very good match up IMO. You have two guys who have great stand up, are enrgetic, explosive, and intelligent. One has great BJJ and the other is a great wrestler...so they both have very good ground skills as well. They are both quickly approaching a title shot so why not....plus we get to see another LW war!!!
babytater03
4/3/08 2:54:38PM
you know i dont really like either Huerta or Ken Flo, but i'd really like to see this fight. Huerta i would say would have his hands full. But in the end i could see him grinding out a UD or SD.
Jackelope
4/3/08 3:07:28PM
I think Ken might have some problems dealing with Huerta's strength, but I'd really love to see this fight.
Pookie
4/3/08 3:13:57PM
i dont really like either guy, but id have to give it to huerta because i think his sprawl is better than florians takedowns, and his stand-up is much better.
NatedawgThaM
4/3/08 3:42:43PM
Why would he want somebody who's only been tested once and would be a step down the rankings towards a title shot? Why not fight Tyson Griffin or Gray Maynard? Or he's done enough to earn a title shot IMO, he should be getting the winner of Sherk/BJ. Or he should be fighting Joe Daddy who just came off a title shot.

It would be an exciting fight that Kenny would win rather easily IMO but I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to face somebody ranked ahead of him instead of somebody ranked a few spots lower?
Pitbull09
4/3/08 4:09:21PM
Most people saw this coming.

Thats probrually the contender fight since edgar got put out of the picture.
Pitbull09
4/3/08 4:12:03PM

Posted by Pookie

i dont really like either guy, but id have to give it to huerta because i think his sprawl is better than florians takedowns, and his stand-up is much better.

agreed^^^
Pookie
4/3/08 4:14:03PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by Pookie

agreed^^^

anybody that agrees with me deserves a prop
DaMaGeInC
4/3/08 4:15:13PM
wow that would be a great fight i like both these fighters alot, i hope huerta is ready cause its gonna be a battle kenflo is a top of the food chain fighter . Huerta is very dangerous and i think this would be a good test to see if he'd be able to hang with the likes of sherk and BJ, i sure hope this goes down but it prolly wont with the time off huerta has takin to finish his schooling, they'll prolly give him a meatball to get back into the flow of things. if it goes down
Red-Dragon
4/3/08 4:15:47PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ohiostate1016

I agree that Florian is a good fighter, who continues to improve...but they have been avoiding giving him well rounded wrestlers like Huerta. I know Kenny has improved drastically since TUF, but Diego manhandled him in the finale. Sherk, who never really utilizes his standup too much, was able to lay on him for 5 rounds. Kenny IMO would struggle with Huerta, Griffin, Edgar, Maynard, Guida, and even Tavares...and Penn of coarse would crush him.

Jackelope
4/3/08 4:17:50PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Why would he want somebody who's only been tested once and would be a step down the rankings towards a title shot? Why not fight Tyson Griffin or Gray Maynard? Or he's done enough to earn a title shot IMO, he should be getting the winner of Sherk/BJ. Or he should be fighting Joe Daddy who just came off a title shot.

It would be an exciting fight that Kenny would win rather easily IMO but I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to face somebody ranked ahead of him instead of somebody ranked a few spots lower?

Kenny likes to fight with passion, so I'm getting the feeling he just wants to punk Huerta out. Huerta's still the golden boy that a lot of people resent, and I think Kenflo wants to put a nail in his coffin.

I had the same feeling about Huerta until the Huerta-Guida fight. I really gained some respect for Huerta in that fight
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/3/08 4:27:00PM
Maybe Kenny doesn't believe he's ready for a title shot yet. What I'm really thinking is that maybe there is a little bitterness towards Huerta though. Don't get me wrong, I like both Kenny and Roger, but there are many fans who really can't stand Kenny and really like Roger. They both have been on quite a tear lately and maybe Kenny feels that he should get the same respect Roger gets.

I really think if a title shot is offered to Kenny, he should take it. You never know what could happen if he fights Roger. He could be taken completely out of the title picture.
Manak
4/3/08 5:27:15PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by CactusBob

i saw that kick and it was a beast. I think that kick knocked all the will out of Lauzon, you could even see it in his eyes. He had that look like "WTF was that??" like he was hit by a car or something. His only hope from then on was to take Kenny down, but Kenny's BJJ was dominant. Joe did have a couple of nice ankle locks, and those are nasty, and i dont know how close he was to finishing.

Kenny will struggle with strong lay and pray artists like Maynard or Sherk. Kenny has everything down except for wrestling.

yea that kick was brutal, kenny got some good kicks, florian would beat huerta. i think by sub in rd 2. huerts is overrated to me, he was gettin owned by clay till he caught him. kenny has beatin alot of good guys (sherk was just to much for him but no one else comes close to sherk in the div for strength and wrestlin) the prb with this div r the 2 top guy (penn & sherk) r strides ahead. Huerta is better with his hands but kenny kicks also kenny some how finds away to get the fight to the ground.
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 5:44:30PM
from how well joe looked against ken, i would have no problem picking huerta by knockout late in the 2nd by superior standup
Mchubb316
4/3/08 6:14:51PM
I've never been a big Florian fan but, the more he fights the better he looks. Huerta vs Florian would be a good one to watch.
quezocrema0032
4/3/08 6:20:19PM
i cant belive how many people acctually belive huerta canactually win here huerta is the most overrated figther in the ufc the combined records of guys he fought in the ufc is 4-14 ... and only cuz guida brings that up and he got extremly lucky beating guida in a fight guida was winning easily ... lauzon the guy florian beat last night would run right through huerta along with maynard edgar tyson griffin thaigo taverez nate diaz din thomas josh neer joe stevenson and of course penn and sherk would all beat huerta the guy has no take down D he didnt stop 1 guida Take down in the 1st 2 rounds and doug evans took him down at an alarming rate ... yes he has better stand up the ken flo but not gona do much when ur on ur back eating kennys elbows ... it wouldnt even be close and thats y florian wants this fight cuz alot of dumb fans think huerta is alot better then he is and ken can steal that thunder same reason y people wanna fight kimbo
Styles
4/3/08 6:24:08PM
People are so quick to write Huerta off... is it really that hard to see how he fights? He paces himself fairly decent. Once he feels that he is losing control of the fight, that is when he turns it up and usually finishes the fight. IMO, Huerta controls this fight with his striking then taking Florian down and uses his GnP skills to break Florian down.

On the other note, someone mentioned that Diego manhandled Florian. You have to understand how much Florian was out of his element there. Wasn't that at 185lb wieght class? Also, Sherk is just a monster with his strength and wrestling ability. It is really hard to judge who would be the stronger of the 2 in this fight and IMO Huerta has the better stand-up and ground-game. Take a look at Alberto Crane who has a awesome JJ game, Garcia who has pretty good stand-up, Guida who is explosive and has alot of energy and Huerta beat them all. I dont think that either of these fighters can get past Franca, Penn, or Sherk though. It sucks to say that because I am a Huerta fan and would like to see him win the title.
Pages: [1] 2