FLORIAN PLANS TO FIGHT AGAIN IN 2008 REGARDLESS OF PENN SITUATION

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » FLORIAN PLANS TO FIGHT AGAIN IN 2008 REGARDLESS OF PENN SITUATION
Mchubb316
8/12/08 3:13:25AM
Heading into UFC 87 it seemed like a perfect scenario that the winner of Kenny Florian versus Roger Huerta would be on the fast track to challenge current lightweight champion, B.J. Penn, for his title later this year.

Now it appears Penn is on a collision course with UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre, and Florian, who won a dominant decision over Huerta on Saturday night, may have to let nature take its course before he gets his shot at the title.

Source
Pskinner_mma314
8/12/08 3:20:33AM
all this talk about Penn fightin GSP kinda upsets me. Not because of the fight persay cuz I can't wait for it, but the fact that the Spider is movin up and doesn't get a shot right away, and BJ does. I know the decision was full of controversy but c'mon, lets be fair.

Also I don't see Baby Jay makin a concious effort to fight as many times a year like Anderson, which in the case of him beating GSP he'd would HAVE to fight at least every 3 months.

I think Florian should get his shot before BJ fights GSP, and BJ should fight a contender in the WW division before he gets another crack at GSP.
Mchubb316
8/12/08 3:26:25AM
From the UFC's point of view a matchup between BJ and GSP would draw more people than Florian vs BJ. People have been wanting to see a rematch with GSP since their first fight. I agree that Florian having to wait for a title shot because BJ is moving up sucks. The reason Anderson went to LHW to fight, was a favor to the UFC, to counter Affliction. I don't think he has any intention at going for the LHW belt anytime soon.
nickcuc547
8/12/08 6:44:49AM
it says a lot about kenny's confidence and character that he is willing to put his title shot on the line. he will probably fight (and beat) another tough opponent too.
grappler0000
8/12/08 7:26:58AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

all this talk about Penn fightin GSP kinda upsets me. Not because of the fight persay cuz I can't wait for it, but the fact that the Spider is movin up and doesn't get a shot right away, and BJ does. I know the decision was full of controversy but c'mon, lets be fair.

Anderson has publicly stated that he has no intentions of going for the LHW belt...he feels that belongs to Machida.
Twenty20Dollars
8/12/08 11:20:53AM
title shot? Dana said the winner of huerta/florian wasnt certain to a title shot next. So kenny i guess might as well fight next.

Stevenson?
Clementi?
Edgar?
Wiman?
the_01
8/14/08 7:04:26PM
I think Florian can take the title from Penn, and I think Florian deserves to be the champion. So, a Florian vs. Penn match is a must. GSP vs. Penn will not prove anything, except a great fight, and I think GSP will win. But I think its a bad move for UFC to conduct a GSP vs. Penn fight, at least not now. Both fighters are highlights for the UFC, and they cant afford to lose one of them soon.