Florian Vs Maynard for title shot??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Florian Vs Maynard for title shot??
MiniMan
8/17/10 10:06:05AM
Ok, I found this pic on TAPOUT.COM and it was news to me! I thought I would post it....

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ace_of_god
8/17/10 10:11:03AM
Well makes sense, Maynard was said to be next in line and was passed over by Edgar... then Penn. Plus since losing to Penn Florian subbed Guida out of the top ten lightweights in the UFC and then subbed Gomi, not to mention wins over pretty much any contender left in the division. I say give the winner the shot
prozacnation1978
8/17/10 12:18:12PM
Top 4. Is florian, maynard, sototoropolous, and dunham
I would rather see george vs evan for next title shot
AchillesHeel
8/17/10 12:26:57PM
I'm not aware that Dana White has made it official, but I agree that Maynard-Florian seems like a no-brainer for the next title shot. If Florian wins, he'll have three wins over increasingly tough competition since his last title fight, and an argument could be made that Maynard deserved a title shot after he defeated Roger Huerta last year.

The only downside to this fight, for me, is that it will delay a title shot for a deserving contender.
DosBox
8/17/10 12:44:47PM
I think it works like this:

If Kenny Florian defeats Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar Defeats BJ Penn:
Kenny gets an immediate shot against Edgar for the belt.

Florian defeats Maynard, Penn defeats Edgar:
Florian doesnt get an immediate shot at title - would probably have to fight Dunham, Sotiropolous, or another top contender. Or he possibly still might get jumped by Sotiropolous, or possibly Gomi (even though he wouldnt be deserving at the time).

Gray Maynard defeats Florian -- Edgar beats BJ, or BJ beats Edgar:
Maynard fights either of them for the title.

AchillesHeel
8/17/10 1:00:07PM

Posted by DosBox

Florian defeats Maynard, Penn defeats Edgar:
Florian doesnt get an immediate shot at title

That would suck.
Chael_Sonnen
8/17/10 4:12:41PM
When Gray beats Kenny, he deserves the next title shot.
ChrisSabal
8/17/10 10:57:20PM
I thought they announced this a while ago that this fight was for a title shot?? I think Maynard should be number 1 in line. But oh well.
komodo20
8/17/10 11:24:39PM
What did the ufc forget about George Sotiropoulos??
ace_of_god
8/18/10 8:23:46AM

Posted by komodo20

He's done well but I think he should beat a contender first, Stevenson is not a contender I 155 any more (was when Florian beat him, major decline) Sotiropoulos needs a win over a guy like Maynard, Florian, Sherk, Dunham. I would give Dunham the nod over Sotiropolous if he were to beat Sherk just for the fact that he has fought and beat a higher quality of talent in the Lightwieght division.
AchillesHeel
8/18/10 9:34:35AM

Posted by ace_of_god

Posted by komodo20

He's done well but I think he should beat a contender first, Stevenson is not a contender I 155 any more (was when Florian beat him, major decline) Sotiropoulos needs a win over a guy like Maynard, Florian, Sherk, Dunham. I would give Dunham the nod over Sotiropolous if he were to beat Sherk just for the fact that he has fought and beat a higher quality of talent in the Lightwieght division.

I agree. I think Sotiropoulos is clearly behind Florian and Maynard right now.
gartface
8/19/10 12:29:48PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ace_of_god

Posted by komodo20

Gray should have had a title shot before Frank Edgar, for obvious reasons.

I like this set up though.
ace_of_god
8/19/10 2:19:36PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ace_of_god

Posted by komodo20

Gray should have had a title shot before Frank Edgar, for obvious reasons.

I like this set up though.

the biggest thing there was I don't even think Gray even wanted the title after the daiz fight, he seemed very non-committal about the whole thing. If I was setting up fights I would have given Edgar, Penn for that exact reason.
JimiMak
8/19/10 7:44:59PM
I can't wait. I'm gonna be there. This is gonna be a fantastic card. I hope BJ and Florian both win even tho I'd rather see Maynard get the shot than see the rematch. But whatever.