Florian, Lauzon, Irvin and Diaz earn UFN13 "fight night" bonuses

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Florian, Lauzon, Irvin and Diaz earn UFN13 "fight night" bonuses
SmileR
4/3/08 7:24:46PM
Kenny Florian, Joe Lauzon, James Irvin and Nate Diaz all earned "fight night" bonuses at Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 13 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that the fighters received $20,000 bonuses for their performances.

UFC Fight Night 13 took place at the Broomfield Event Center near Denver. The 12-fight event featured a headline bout between Florian and Lauzon, and the main card aired on Spike TV.

Florian defeated Lauzon with a second-round TKO in an entertaining lightweight bout that had title implications. After a close first round, Florian dominated the second after securing the mount position. Both fighters were awarded bonuses for "Fight of the Night."

Irvin, who defeated Houston Alexander and tied the record for the quickest knockout in UFC history, picked of "Knockout of the Night" honors. Irvin set up the eight-second TKO with a Superman punch -- his first punch of the fight -- that floored his opponent. Alexander protested the stoppage with referee Steve Mazzagatti, but it did little good.

Diaz, meanwhile, picked up a "Submission of the Night" bonus for a remarkable, come-from-behind victory over Kurt Pellegrino. After being battered and bloodied in the first round, Diaz secured a fight-ending triangle choke in the second. "The Ultimate Fighter 6" winner, confident in the submission hold, actually flexed for the cameras and celebrated the victory before his opponent tapped out

Link
ThaAxeMurderer7
4/3/08 7:51:52PM
I personally found the Diaz vs. Pellegrino fight to be the best of the night. It's all good though.
silverbullet
4/3/08 7:53:34PM
I'd be careful touching gloves before the fight around Steve Mazzagatti, he might call a TKO on you
Lay_N_Pray
4/3/08 7:59:39PM
No love for Anthony Johnson?

I thought Irvin's KO was cool, but Johnson was Silva-esque in his percision and striking efficiency.
ChokeUout
4/3/08 8:03:46PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I thought Irvin's KO was cool, but Johnson was Silva-esque in his percision and striking efficiency.

This guy right here just took the words out of my mouth
silverbullet
4/3/08 8:26:43PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Yea but he KO'ed Tommy Speer
RMFG_187
4/3/08 8:59:21PM
I picked A Johnson to win via Round 1 KO his last fight, and the same with this fight. his Boxing is among the best in that class, although his chin hasn't been tested yet. and that button nose looks like a big ol' target
wolfman
4/3/08 9:31:37PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Yeah, I think Johnson should have received the fight bonus as well. However, I think that the bonus was giving to Irvin because he tied Don Frye's record with an 8 second KO.
Twenty20Dollars
4/3/08 9:41:56PM
johnson should have won ko of the night because we all knew tommy speer was really out, and that fight was a premature stop ala houston and irvin.
silverbullet
4/3/08 11:07:26PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

johnson should have won ko of the night because we all knew tommy speer was really out, and that fight was a premature stop ala houston and irvin.

I thought the Speer - Johnson fight was stopped a bit prematurely. I could still see some life in Speer's eyes when the ref called it.
wolfman
4/3/08 11:31:36PM

Posted by silverbullet

I thought the Speer - Johnson fight was stopped a bit prematurely. I could still see some life in Speer's eyes when the ref called it.

WhiteWidow
4/3/08 11:37:57PM

Posted by silverbullet

I'd be careful touching gloves before the fight around Steve Mazzagatti, he might call a TKO on you

hey look im playing you the smallest violin
cloppio
4/4/08 1:37:34AM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

I personally found the Diaz vs. Pellegrino fight to be the best of the night. It's all good though.

roman
4/4/08 8:01:43AM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Me too that was an amzing fight and Diaz showed he is as tough and more techical then his big bro.

Overall great fights though, better then the last PPV.
wolfman
4/4/08 11:39:04AM

Give it up people, Houston was out....It was not a premature stoppage.
Rush
4/4/08 11:43:14AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by silverbullet

Right with you brother. Speer didn't even stand up for a while after the fight was over. He was toast.
wolfman
4/4/08 11:55:47AM
I think he was being sarcastic though, or trolling as usual.
GrandMaster313
4/4/08 4:37:41PM
johnson's striking is pretty good from what ive seen so far. i wonder though if he can finish people on the ground as well ?
Red-Dragon
4/4/08 5:33:26PM

Posted by silverbullet

Yeah, but the problem was that the eye that still had life in it was rolling around on the opposite side of the cage.
bls1919
4/4/08 10:43:50PM
These are all good calls, although an argument could be made for Diaz vs Pelegrino for FOTN. This was a great fight and the kid from STOCKTON hahahahahaa pulled it out from behind.
Playground_Samurai
4/5/08 3:15:27AM
Diaz's sub was cool with all the finger flipping and flexing and what not, but damn.....How the hell did Maximus not get sub of the night with this?

I know the obvious answer is that Nate subbed a excellent grappler with a BJJ black belt, but regardless of the opponent Aurelio's sub was just beautiful.