Florian's commentary

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Florian's commentary
bjj1605
6/2/12 12:50:46AM
Ok...

So a lot of people on here seem to really like Kenny as a commentator. Honestly I can't stand him.

He's irritated me in the past a bit but tonight was awful.

So many people complain about Frank Mir or even Joe Rogan because they think they are biased commentators. Neither can hold a candle to Mr. Florian.

It seems like he has his favorite in every fight and he refuses to say a good word about the other guy. When he does say something about the other guy its usually in the form of an "insulting compliment". For instance, he'll say "he's got a lot of heart" or "you have to commend him for his chin" (both of which basically mean that the guy is good at getting his ass kicked.)

The worst was Lawrence vs Cofer.

I picked Lawerence and I'm not a fan of Cofer or anything....but by the end of the second round I was willing to sacrifice my points for a win by Cofer, just to shut Kenny up.

Until the KO, the fight was very close on the feet. As the statistics show, Cofer was actually leading in significant strikes. Admittedly, I don't think stats always tell the story. Lawrence had BETTER significant strikes and was ahead (in terms of value, if not amount.)

Still, every time Lawrence landed anything Kenny would talk for about thirty seconds about how amazing he was. Anytime Cofer landed anything Kenny said nothing.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
frizzzlecake
6/2/12 12:58:39AM
For me it goes Bonnar>Ken-Flow>Mir/Couture.. I thought both Mir and Couture sucked.

I like Ken Flow and Jon combination think they will get better too. I didn't notice anything too bad, I mean American Kid was kicking his butt, wasn't like it was close.imo
aussiemma
6/2/12 1:04:12AM

Posted by bjj1605

Ok...

So a lot of people on here seem to really like Kenny as a commentator. Honestly I can't stand him.

So many people complain about Frank Mir or even Joe Rogan because they think they are biased commentators. Neither can hold a candle to Mr. Florian.

It seems like he has his favorite in every fight and he refuses to say a good word about the other guy. When he does say something about the other guy its usually in the form of an "insulting compliment". For instance, he'll say "he's got a lot of heart" or "you have to commend him for his chin" (both of which basically mean that the guy is good at getting his ass kicked.)

I picked Lawerence and I'm not a fan of Cofer or anything....but by the end of the second round I was willing to sacrifice my points for a win by Cofer, just to shut Kenny up.

Until the KO, the fight was very close on the feet. As the statistics show, Cofer was actually leading in significant strikes. Admittedly, I don't think stats always tell the story. Lawrence had BETTER significant strikes and was ahead (in terms of value, if not amount.)

Still, every time Lawrence landed anything Kenny would talk for about thirty seconds about how amazing he was. Anytime Cofer landed anything Kenny said nothing.

i think kenny was good tonight and to be honest i think you may be over-reacting a bit...thought he was fine tonight and i didnt detect any favouritism from him.
Chael_Sonnen
6/2/12 1:09:19AM

Posted by bjj1605

Ok...

Crazy? Perhaps......
bjj1605
6/2/12 1:17:28AM
I did ask didn't I??

I thought the fight was pretty close on the feet.

Cofer was statistically landing more significant strikes.

I remember one incident in particular. Cofer landed a really nice body kick. Kenny didn't even mention it because he was so busy talking about how great of a left hook Lawrence had.
frizzzlecake
6/2/12 1:44:54AM
Yeah, but how many times have we seen say OHHH NICE LEG KICK, when someone counters it with a nice punch? Joe loves his kicks. But I don't weigh into it much.

Twenty20Dollars
6/2/12 2:02:16AM
I barely listen to anyone anymore, I don't listen to it intently.

Prefer Florian, to Rogan's yelling and looking like his head is going to explode.
Pookie
6/2/12 3:07:25AM
You know, one of the tenets of personality theory is that regardless of who you are, there's going to be a specific type of personality that grinds your gears. No exceptions.

One person's Frank Mir, might just be your Kenny Florian. There's really no getting around it since if you replace the guy to appease one type of person, you'll end up pissing off another type of person with the next guy.

With that said, i think Florian's knowledge in the technical areas of combat are of value, and i think he tries to be neutral. So i can't fault him for anything. Shit, Lawrence's strikes were the more damaging blows and he had a better economy of motion. To a technical fighter, i would expect that to be what stands out to him.

I think the right thing to do is to find a guy who can balance out Florian's tendencies, and have that be the guy who does the shows with him. Same thing with every commentator really. One person is only going to catch so much.
KungFuMaster
6/2/12 3:21:05AM

Posted by Pookie

You know, when of the tenets of personality theory is that regardless of who you are, there's going to be a specific type of personality that grinds your gears. No exceptions.

One person's Frank Mir, might just be your Kenny Florian. There's really no getting around it since if you replace the guy to appease one type of person, you'll end up pissing off another type of person with the next guy.

With that said, i think Florian's knowledge in the technical areas of combat are of value, and i think he tries to be neutral. So i can't fault him for anything. Shit, Lawrence's strikes were the more damaging blows and had a better economy of motion. To a technical fighter, i would expect that to be what stands out to him.

I think the right thing to do is to find a guy who can balance out Florian's tendencies, and have that be the guy who does the shows with him. Same thing with every commentator really. One person is only going to catch so much.

I agree and that is why Rogan and Goldberg are a match made in heaven. When Rogan overly praises a fighter, Goldberg tries to counter it by praising the other fighter - and all is right with the world again. Yin-Yang

So in a sense, Anik is partially to blame for Florian's mischief, if any.
aussiemma
6/2/12 4:18:59AM
i like rogan's commentary more just because he is much more animated and i think it makes the fight that much more exciting, or maybe im just so used to listening to him and goldie rather than anik and kenflo.
Kpro
6/2/12 5:17:04AM
I only noticed it in the Lawrence/Cofer fight, probably because I turned the volume way down after that fight, but he was definitely swinging from Lawrence's jockstrap as if Cofer hadn't even landed a jab yet through 10 minutes. Anytime it's not Rogan, I don't care to hear the commentary for UFC events.
Budgellism
6/2/12 9:44:42AM
I don't like Aink/Florian as a team. Its just not working imo.
prozacnation1978
6/2/12 10:14:31AM
I like bonnar's commentary to kenflo
spang714
6/2/12 11:24:34AM
I personally like Kenny as a commentator...I think Mir is pretty good...I've heard Frank Trigg on HDnet and he's pretty good...but Bonnar to me seems a little awkward...a reasonable man would give examples to back this up...but its just one noob's opinion...
Bubbles
6/2/12 11:45:57AM
leave Kenny to sit beside Glazer. I cant stand his commentary, he sounds so damn whiney when he talks. Anik has gotten much better since his debut but Florian is still the same. I'd rather listen to Shamrock or Militich than Florian
MMAcca
6/2/12 11:49:55AM
Not a fan of Kenflo on commentary.

I cannot wait for Jon Anik to replace Goldberg though.

Joe Rogan and Jon Anik will fantastic imo.
sparky
6/2/12 11:51:22AM
Best Commentator = Jimmy Smith
Twenty20Dollars
6/2/12 12:31:22PM
I'm Brock Lesnar is an option to commentate or Dana White

If you guys don't like Florian.
bjj1605
6/2/12 3:30:36PM

Posted by Pookie

You know, one of the tenets of personality theory is that regardless of who you are, there's going to be a specific type of personality that grinds your gears. No exceptions.

With that said, i think Florian's knowledge in the technical areas of combat are of value, and i think he tries to be neutral. So i can't fault him for anything. Shit, Lawrence's strikes were the more damaging blows and he had a better economy of motion. To a technical fighter, i would expect that to be what stands out to him.

Thats the thing tho.... I like him as a fighter. I like his interviews and he didn't bother me much on the show. For some reason its just his commentary.

I'm glad to see there are people who agree with me about this though.

Personally I'll always like Rogan the best. I think he's hilarious.

Even when Rogan acts like an idiot/jerk he still doesn't bother me. He's been commentating as long as I've been a hard core fan. For me, he's just part of the UFC package. I'm used to him.
bjj1605
6/2/12 3:31:51PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Yeah, but how many times have we seen say OHHH NICE LEG KICK, when someone counters it with a nice punch? Joe loves his kicks. But I don't weigh into it much.

Wasn't a leg kick and it didn't get countered.

Lawrence had landed a left hook a about thirty seconds prior. Cofer landed a flush body kick and got away unscathed.

Kenny was still talking about the punch from half a minute ago.
bjj1605
6/2/12 3:35:01PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I'm Brock Lesnar is an option to commentate or Dana White

If you guys don't like Florian.

As long as it isn't Tito....

Video
pmoney
6/2/12 6:21:08PM
I prefer the Spanish announcers on Fox Deportes. I don't understand much, but I love their enthusiasm!

Edit: I am not kidding either, if you haven't heard them, I suggest you give them a shot
prophecy033
6/2/12 6:24:26PM

Posted by pmoney

I prefer the Spanish announcers on Fox Deportes. I don't understand much, but I love their enthusiasm!

Kpro
6/2/12 6:44:11PM

Posted by pmoney

Cain's opponents entrances are the only thing that isn't exciting on the Spanish broadcasts.
Aether
6/2/12 7:02:15PM
I definitely remember thinking "wtf?" during the Lawrence/Cofer fight. There was one part where Cofer was pummelling him with combinations, and he was talking about how great Lawrence was doing. When Cofer landed like a dozen punches, he begrudgingly acknowledged it.