Five Questions in the Wake of UFC 81

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Five Questions in the Wake of UFC 81
grappler0000
2/5/08 7:04:12AM
The UFC's media campaign has repeatedly stressed that the spectacle of MMA -- those bygone days when fighters showed up in wife beaters and singlets, listing Tae Bo as a discipline -- is ancient history.

Yet that weird buzz in one's central nervous system, the one you used to get when watching athletes of unknown origin and ability, was present during Saturday's UFC 81 card. Observing Brock Lesnar (Pictures), a human being of formidable proportions, rain hammer fists down on Frank Mir (Pictures) helped recapture some of the early knot-in-stomach jitters of the cruder, single-digit events. (Lesnar's knife tattoo, so ignobly displayed on his mammoth chest, might as well have been a giant question mark.)

We got at least one answer: Lesnar, while seemingly the most athletic 265-pound man ever to step into a cage, has a ways to go before promoters need to resize the heavyweight strap.

Link
CiaoBaby
2/5/08 1:20:58PM
Good read...
jdp1975
2/5/08 2:01:21PM
so what is going to happen to lesnar? will he get the three lose rule and be out the door or will they keep him around and feed him some "cans" to keep him looking good.
scoozna
2/5/08 2:53:10PM
I hadn't thought about all the potential fan conversions from WWE to MMA that the article hints at. There's probably a lot of good and bad there.

I think they'll match Brock with a decent stand-up guy next. If he mauls them, then he has a future full of hype again.
jae_1833
2/5/08 4:45:44PM
Brock was whoopin' that A$$!!! I think he will have a real future in the UFC if he continues to fight that way, although I am a Mir fan I have to say that he got kind of lucky there....Brock has got my full attention now, and he was a cool guy in defeat as well. Quite a debut!!
gabe531
2/5/08 4:54:27PM
still believe that if the ref didnt jump in on a blow to the back of the head we wouldnt be discussing this. he would have beaten mir in about 40 seconds. but he got caught and lost. i believe he has a great future in mma. hopefully we get to see him vs top tier strikers (HH,hardonk,cro cop) and test his chin. if it tests good then watch out (as long as he learns sub def)
The-Don
6/29/08 3:56:56PM

Posted by gabe531

still believe that if the ref didnt jump in on a blow to the back of the head we wouldnt be discussing this. he would have beaten mir in about 40 seconds. but he got caught and lost. i believe he has a great future in mma. hopefully we get to see him vs top tier strikers (HH,hardonk,cro cop) and test his chin. if it tests good then watch out (as long as he learns sub def)

well were about to see him against Herring.. which should be a good fightI am glad they are gving brock good competition win or lose I think he is learning hard and fastIn 2-3 years he maybe staning in the center of th ring with a belt around his waist... one to be truly proud of