Five Mistakes Coach Brock Lesnar Made On TUF 13 Premiere

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Five Mistakes Coach Brock Lesnar Made On TUF 13 Premiere
FastKnockout
3/31/11 3:15:25PM
grappler0000
3/31/11 3:30:10PM
I get the fact that cagepotato is a humorous site...I actually enjoy them most of the time. I just hope we don't have to read articles like this the whole season. I get it...most people hate Lesnar. I get it. Can we move on now or are we gonna analyze every sh*t, shave, and shower he takes over the next several weeks? If the Brock hate thing was new and fresh, this would probably be funny, but it just kinda falls flat for me.
emfleek
3/31/11 3:33:46PM

Posted by grappler0000

I get the fact that cagepotato is a humorous site...I actually enjoy them most of the time. I just hope we don't have to read articles like this the whole season. I get it...most people hate Lesnar. I get it. Can we move on now or are we gonna analyze every sh*t, shave, and shower he takes over the next several weeks? If the Brock hate thing was new and fresh, this would probably be funny, but it just kinda falls flat for me.

Cage Potato annoys me. I've never been a fan, personally.
FastKnockout
3/31/11 3:55:22PM

Posted by grappler0000

Brock is the UFC's biggest name, constant analyzing on every detail of his life comes with the territory. I do agree with some of there points, though.
grappler0000
3/31/11 4:06:11PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Brock is the UFC's biggest name, constant analyzing on every detail of his life comes with the territory. I do agree with some of there points, though.

I don't mind the analyzing...it's the over-analyzing that gets old.
Rabi
3/31/11 4:23:50PM
I like the fact they talk about Lesnar being a rookie with regards to TUF and making mistakes and then use a reference Ken Shamrock used when he coached on TUF 3, but they get the season wrong and say TUF 2, Franklin and Hughes were the coaches on TUF 2, if your gonna hammer someone then you have to get all the details right before you do it.
Scamrock
4/1/11 3:27:12PM
1. "Dude. Everybody knows if you win Dana White’s opening flip-off, you choose to pick the first fight."

Evidently not. Every season, the winner of the coin toss always chooses to pick the first fighter. So while they may think its the obvious choice to pick the first fight, Brock did the same thing that almost every other coach has done that won the coin toss.

2. "Offering half-assed “personality evaluations” of the fighters."

I could care less. I thought it was a waste of tv time showing this because I honestly doubt anyone is going to say they are there for tv and not to win. Who knows why they showed it. Was it a waste of time for him to ask them that? Who knows. They ask those things in job interviews. If it was a waste, nobody would ever ask. I've heard guys get asked this before on the show if my memory serves me correctly.

3. "Of course, Lesnar probably had no idea who any of these dudes were and in the end may well have given the two best prospects (Bailey and McGillivray) to Team JDS right out the shoot."

So he let JDS have Bailey and McGillivray. Lesnar still got Jury (though he had to leave), Rader, Harvison, Cope, Bentley, and most importantly, IMO, Ferguson (I picked either him or Jury to win it all). Also, Chuck O'neil, who replaced Jury, is a solid prospect. Now maybe they are right and he didn't know anything about any of them beforehand. But personally, I think his team is just as good.

4. "Staying too close to home."

They basically said that in the past when a coach had little/no coaching experience, they brought in all star staffs, then accused Lesnar of "staying too close to home" by using his regular coaching staff. But all of those "all star" staffs were also the regular coaching staffs of the respective TUF coach. So this is in no way different at all.

"It looks like he just brought Erik Paulsen and Marty Morgan over from DeathClutch. That’s not to say those guys aren’t high-level coaches (they are), but doesn’t it kind of also give you the impression that it’s going to be all catch wrestling, all the time over on Team Lesnar?"

Basically what I get from the above quote is that the writer knows little to nothing about Erik Paulson. Black belt in BJJ and TKD and is a full instructor in Muay Thai and JKD. The rest of his staff has been listed as Greg Nelson, Comprido, and Chris Manos. I also originally heard Peter Welch, but I don't know if he was ever brought in or not. But I'd say he has a pretty well rounded staff. But even if they are going by the first episode, I don't know how they are using Erik Paulson as an example of "all catch wrestling".

5. I'm not going to get into point 5. There is only so much instruction to give an inferior grappler who is trapped underneath a wrestler. Yelling for underhooks and for rolling into the guy when he was trying to roll away was really the best advice to give. But the guy wasn't doing it. What can you do?