Fitch really gave GSP trouble

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fitch really gave GSP trouble
chubbud22
8/10/08 4:15:04AM
All of the GSP haters out there had Fitch Giving him all sorts of problem. He didnt look gun shy to me; GSP dominated in every aspect of the fight and I did not see any holes in his game, so I just want to hear how GSP is going to get beat the next time around.
Jackelope
8/10/08 5:09:07AM
Not that he'll get beat, BUT-

Thiago Alves has the standup skills and power to give GSP problems. However, in this fight I'm sure GSP will go for the takedown and dish out GnP for the W. I see him beating Thiago Alves 10/10 times unless he tries to keep it standing. If he stands up I'd say it's a 50/50 fight. Fitch landed some good shots on GSP and I don't put Fitch's standup on Alves' level.

BJ Penn presents problems for GSP on every level. No matter how you cut it I put a fight with BJ Penn at 50/50.

Satisfied?
Trapt1nw0nder
8/10/08 7:14:03AM

Posted by chubbud22
so I just want to hear how GSP is going to get beat the next time around.

BJ Penn...
casey64
8/10/08 8:27:48AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by chubbud22

BJ Penn...

I do believe BJ can beat GSP, no actually I hope BJ beats GSP.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/10/08 10:00:23AM

Posted by casey64

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by chubbud22

BJ Penn...

I do believe BJ can beat GSP, no actually I hope BJ beats GSP.

Did you see how BIG and In-Shape BJ Penn looked next to GSP?...I have no doubt the new and improved BJ Penn will not only win,but dominate GSP in every aspect besides maybe cardio,but i do see BJ busting GSP's face in with those bricks for hands he has,that it wont even matter...

Ordep
8/10/08 10:56:42AM
I don't hate him, but the intense level of nuthuggery of his fans make me not like him and that could lead to hate, or maybe already did. Specially when they ask for a fight against A. Silva, HA! now that's a joke.
emfleek
8/10/08 11:16:26AM
It's funny how you mention the GSP haters and FAILED to mention how GSP nuthuggers were so confident that GSP was going to destroy Fitch and finish him off "however he wants". Fitch is a warrior and went the distance with arguably the best P4P fighter in the world. You HAVE to respect that. Hopefully some people around here will finally dislodge GSP's ballsac from their nostrils.

I love GSP but I'm with Ordep...his nuthuggers make it hard sometimes.
IriShame
8/10/08 11:31:36AM
All this fight did in my opinion is cement the fact that Jon Fitch is the best fighter in the world at 170 lbs. not named Georges St. Pierre. If GSP didn't exist people would talk about what a great all around talent Fitch was. Unfortunately for him GSP does exist so he's just the second biggest fish in a small pond, GSP Lite in a way. By the way what a ****** chin on Fitch huh? He got rocked countless times and just refused to go out. Gotta give the guy props for that kind of toughness.

Also, Baby J is going to KO GSP.
Jackelope
8/10/08 11:56:06AM

Posted by emfleek

It's funny how you mention the GSP haters and FAILED to mention how GSP nuthuggers were so confident that GSP was going to destroy Fitch and finish him off "however he wants". Fitch is a warrior and went the distance with arguably the best P4P fighter in the world. You HAVE to respect that. Hopefully some people around here will finally dislodged GSP's ballsac from their nostrils.

I love GSP but I'm with Ordep...his nuthuggers make it hard sometimes.

I'm with both of you guys on this one. The nut huggers and sometimes blatant man crushes on GSP make him hard to like. Although I do find him to be one of the most talented, respectful and fun guys to watch fight. It just sucks when you see some of the ridiculous shit people post about him. *cough* Tuvok! *cough*
Ricks350z
8/10/08 12:16:01PM
Fitch? Who is that? Oh, thats the guy that got destroyed last night by Gsp.
In my opinion, i didnt see anything good from Fitch that so many of his fans talk about. How great a fighter he is. I didnt see it. What i did see, is he has a tough chin.
I'm thinking a Fitch - Serra fight would be awesome.

BJ and GSP......wow. I love both of these guys. Sherk isnt that good, so bj's win wasnt that impressive. i will be impressed if he can beat GSP. I dont think it will happen.

jomatty
8/10/08 12:34:17PM
people worry way too much about "nuthugging" and such. the guy is one of the best fighters in the world so of course he is going to have some fanatical fans. who cares and why shouldnt they be passiionate about such a great fighter? also what is it that they say that he hasnt backed up?
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/10/08 1:06:13PM
GSP > Whatever was said in this thread & BJ Penn
iwannabesedated
8/10/08 2:21:06PM

Posted by Ricks350z

In my opinion, i didnt see anything good from Fitch that so many of his fans talk about. How great a fighter he is. I didnt see it. What i did see, is he has a tough chin.

BJ and GSP......wow. I love both of these guys. Sherk isnt that good, so bj's win wasnt that impressive. i will be impressed if he can beat GSP. I dont think it will happen.

Post like this.Make me wish i was blind.
MarkN
8/10/08 2:41:33PM
Ok first off, GSP can be beat but as you can see its going to be very difficult to beat him.

and second off, wow what a warrior Jon Fitch is mad props to this guy for stepping up the guy could of taken the easier way out and quit in round 1 but stuck it out and went through 25 minutes of hell.
DevonFoxy
8/10/08 3:39:50PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by Ricks350z

I prefer to wish that the poster was better educated but thats pretty darn funny right there.

BJ Penn should pretty much end this discussion. The best takedown defense in the biz and better stand up than GSP with a better chin = BJ Penn beating GSP imo.
DevonFoxy
8/10/08 4:07:45PM
Watch This

And tell me you don't respect the war this guy went through I love the last question he answers that man is a class act and has a bright Future and a bright contract coming his way

I'll say it again
WAR FITCH!!!!!!!!!
ThaAxeMurderer7
8/10/08 7:24:22PM

Posted by Ricks350z

jawbreaker517
8/10/08 9:41:52PM

Posted by Jackelope

Not that he'll get beat, BUT-

Thiago Alves has the standup skills and power to give GSP problems. However, in this fight I'm sure GSP will go for the takedown and dish out GnP for the W. I see him beating Thiago Alves 10/10 times unless he tries to keep it standing. If he stands up I'd say it's a 50/50 fight. Fitch landed some good shots on GSP and I don't put Fitch's standup on Alves' level.

BJ Penn presents problems for GSP on every level. No matter how you cut it I put a fight with BJ Penn at 50/50.

Satisfied?

No way. Alves stand-up is damn good, but GSP's timing is rediculous. GSP is remarkably good.
Pskinner_mma314
8/10/08 11:58:15PM
I don't wanna sound like an ass, but in every fight no matter who it is, its always 50/50, thats the beauty of the sport. Odds are you can usually pick the winner, but truthfully you NEVER know whats gonna happen.

Secondly, the last fighter to make it to a decision with GSP was Koscheck, and he barely made in 3 rounds. Fitch got blown up like 5 times and still managed to make it 5, though the winner was obvious. Obviously he needs a few more fights b4 he can make it back to a title shot, but the 2 guys who r fightin for it in November (Sanchez v Alves), Fitch already decisively beat both of them.

I listen to alot of people say GSP is the "Complete fighter", and I agree to an extent. He is a complete fighter in the WW division of the UFC, we have never seen him fight at any other weight class, I'm not sayin that he would get beat just cuz he moved down or up, but alot of UFC fighters have fought in 2 different weight classes and for one reason or another, they switched it up.

So anyway, phenomanal performance by GSP, great heart from Fitch, I'd like to see fitch fight a guy similar to GSP so he can learn a bit more and then see a rematch. Talk about a WAR!!!!!!!!
Jackelope
8/11/08 12:12:13AM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

I don't wanna sound like an ass, but in every fight no matter who it is, its always 50/50, thats the beauty of the sport. Odds are you can usually pick the winner, but truthfully you NEVER know whats gonna happen.

Secondly, the last fighter to make it to a decision with GSP was Koscheck, and he barely made in 3 rounds. Fitch got blown up like 5 times and still managed to make it 5, though the winner was obvious. Obviously he needs a few more fights b4 he can make it back to a title shot, but the 2 guys who r fightin for it in November (Sanchez v Alves), Fitch already decisively beat both of them.

I listen to alot of people say GSP is the "Complete fighter", and I agree to an extent. He is a complete fighter in the WW division of the UFC, we have never seen him fight at any other weight class, I'm not sayin that he would get beat just cuz he moved down or up, but alot of UFC fighters have fought in 2 different weight classes and for one reason or another, they switched it up.

So anyway, phenomanal performance by GSP, great heart from Fitch, I'd like to see fitch fight a guy similar to GSP so he can learn a bit more and then see a rematch. Talk about a WAR!!!!!!!!

How can you rationalize every fight being 50/50? You mean one guy is going to win or the other is going to win? Hence since there's only two possible outcomes you only get 50%? (One guy wins, the other has to lose?)

If you're speaking from that point of view then yeah, every thing on this earth is 50%. It's either going to rain or it's not going to rain. Etc.

From any other standpoint, though.. every fight is not 50%. If that were the case everyone on here and every fighter out there would have a 50% record.

SociopathX
8/11/08 2:33:40AM
The fact that Fitch lasted 5 rounds with the beating he took from GSP says a whole hell of alot on how much of a warrior Fitch is.

I am willing to bet that just about any other welterweight could not have gone through that much punishment and lasted.

I was shocked GSP didn't knock him out he had him rocked a good 3 to 4 times and Fitch hung on.

I think BJ Penn is rushing into moving up to WW and fighting GSP. I Think the fight will be a bad ass one.
stock
8/11/08 9:24:07AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

How can you rationalize every fight being 50/50? You mean one guy is going to win or the other is going to win? Hence since there's only two possible outcomes you only get 50%? (One guy wins, the other has to lose?)

If you're speaking from that point of view then yeah, every thing on this earth is 50%. It's either going to rain or it's not going to rain. Etc.

From any other standpoint, though.. every fight is not 50%. If that were the case everyone on here and every fighter out there would have a 50% record.

Yeah, if you really believed that every fight was 50/50, you would drop money on the underdog of every fight and be a millionaire.
copcopps
8/11/08 9:37:58AM
I love Fitch I was rooting for him all the way.

People know my beef with BJ Penn, never liked the guy regardless on how great he is. GSP>BJ
jocka
8/11/08 12:05:46PM
I knew Fitch was not winning that fight but god damn he got rocked in every rd some more than once and still he wanted more, that guy is a beast i found a lot of new respect on UFc87 Fitch and Lesnar but thats another story.

As far as BJ Penn comming in the ring at the end on the match was funny kind of stealing GSP time but once again GSP showns every one how much of a respectfull guy he is, I personnaly don't think that BJ deservs to fight for the title right aways he should get at least a fight against a top contender like Fitch per exemple but thats just my opinion.
gsquat
8/11/08 12:36:37PM
Fitch hung in there, but only because he has a hard head. I've never seen GSP hit anyone that hard before. That was a completely one-sided fight.

I agree with most that BJ is the man to beat GSP. I thought he won their first fight. With the BJ Penn we've seen lately, I excpect a more convincing performance. This fight would definitely go to a decision. Neither fighter will let themselves be finished by the other. It'll be a war like the last fight.
mmadb
8/11/08 1:56:38PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Posted by Ricks350z

I prefer to wish that the poster was better educated but thats pretty darn funny right there.

BJ Penn should pretty much end this discussion. The best takedown defense in the biz and better stand up than GSP with a better chin = BJ Penn beating GSP imo.

Would you have made this exact same comment before their last fight? I'm willing to guess yes you would have so I'm not sure how you can be so sure BJ has this.

GSP is my favourite fighter but I'm also a big fan of B.J. when he's not talking BS and although BJ's takedown defense is stellar I can't see a scenario where GSP doesn't get him on his back. I hate to say it but I could easily see it being very similar to their first fight which wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be.
fullerene
8/11/08 2:58:15PM
I'm a GSP fan, not a hater, but Fitch ddi present a lot of problems for GSP. He was the bigger fighter, he was a guy who wouldn't quit, he's well-rounded and he was a guy who seemed to be hungrier for this fight going into it.

GSP was impressive in my mind because Fitch did come to fight and fought hard for 5 rounds. GSP was just mentally and physically prepared and when that's the case there are few, if any, fighters who can beat him.
Hillbilly
8/11/08 5:28:08PM
I was really impressed with the fact that throughout the fight Fitch still kept fighting back. Instead of just going into survival mode after getting rocked like most fighters do he kept swinging and trying to do damage.
Rush
8/11/08 5:55:50PM
GSP said it himself "I was impressed by Jon Fitch"

Need we say more?