Fitch: GSP's running scared

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fitch: GSP's running scared
Next Page »
Rush
3/24/08 2:31:41PM
A short article so I pasted it below as well. I thought it was quite funny myself. Enjoy.

Jon Fitch has accused Georges St-Pierre of running scared and he has called on The UFC to finally give him a title shot.

Fitch took his UFC record to 8-0 with a convincing victory over Chris Wilson, and now he wants a crack at the welterweight title.

St-Pierre fights Matt Serra at “UFC 83: Serra vs St-Pierre 2" in a bid to reclaim his belt after Serra stunned him with a first round knock-out at "UFC 69".

Related Links
UFC
Fitch is adamant he should be next in line to face the winner, and while he would not predict a winner, he taunted St-Pierre – claiming he is scared.

“The thing I’ve noticed most about St-Pierre in his recent performances is he has become a wrestler. Since getting knocked out he’s been unwilling to stand and trade with people,” said Fitch.

“He had an easy win against Matt Hughes in their second fight where he knocked him out, but after being knocked out by Serra he took the hard road in the next fight with Hughes and tried to outwrestle a wrestler.

“That shows to me he’s afraid of getting knocked out, so I don’t see him standing and putting away Serra on his feet.

“I see this fight going five rounds and being similar to GSP against BJ Penn.”

Commenting on his own plight, Fitch believes nobody has worked harder for a title shot than he has.

“I’ve paid my dues and I think I should be pretty close to that position. Not many guys go 8-0 in The UFC,” he said.

“I’ve fought a lot of tough guys, whether or not the fans know the names, these guys have all been tough b******s.

“I asked [match-maker] Joe Silva to give me the toughest guys, because I’m here to find out how good I am; at the end of the day it’s about how I sleep at night.

“I don’t care how many people kiss my ass and tell me I’m great…I just think I deserve a title shot.”

iwannabesedated
3/24/08 2:37:48PM
Good Stuff.

It would make my year to see Fitch KTFO GSP.
Nightmare27
3/24/08 2:40:22PM
Thats pretty bold, but he is right about Hughes. He could have stood with him and knocked him out but chose to take it down and grind it out until he got the sub. After going 8-0 anybody should get a title shot.
strongmma
3/24/08 2:43:49PM
uh, GSP ripped Hughes' arm off and almost beat him with it. Fitch is delusional and would get murdered by St. Pierre.
juanez13
3/24/08 2:44:02PM
Yea This was at UFC 82 post fight press conference, i think there is some truth behind what he is saying, he hasnt been willing to trade as much as he had in the past, i think we will see how the KO truly affected him, wether he will stand with serra, or rather not take the risk of being KO'd again and just use his wrestling to control the fight. It not the first time it's happened, where a fighter gets KTFO and they aren't as aggressive as before because the feel that they'll get KO again, That seemed to happen to arlovski, but there are many other whom are affected in a psychological way after being KO'd.
tberg420
3/24/08 2:45:13PM
Fitch didn't look so impressive against Wilson. Of course he's going to call out GSP while GSP is preparing for another fight. What's Fitch going to do if he can't take GSP down? His striking is average at best. Chris Wilson showed that in his last fight. What's wrong with submitting a guy and avoiding being hit? Fitch is a very slow starter in fights and that will need to change against GSP.
three_days_of_grey
3/24/08 2:55:04PM
Well, Jon Fitch has just lost some points with me. Yes, I realize fighters need to hype fights, but he could have, should have taken a higher road than employ Ortiz tactics.

“He had an easy win against Matt Hughes in their second fight where he knocked him out, but after being knocked out by Serra he took the hard road in the next fight with Hughes and tried to outwrestle a wrestler.

Is there such a thing as an easy win against Matt Hughes, the most dominant WW in UFC history? Certainly not. And if memory serves, GSP defeated Hughes with a nasty arm-bar, not by pinning his shoulders to the mat. If I were Fitch, who is a wrestler, I would be very concerned that GSP has outwrestled both Kos and Hughes.. Simply because GSP has been showcasing wrestling skills does not mean he has no other skills.

“I’ve fought a lot of tough guys, whether or not the fans know the names, these guys have all been tough b******s.

Yeah, no shit Sherlock. All fighters are tough bastards, or they wouldnt be fighters, they'd be accountants or something. Maybe he would have a different opinion if he had fought someone in the top 5 and not just one SPLIT decision victory over a top 10 Diego Sanchez.
I say let the next fight for Fitch be against Matt Hughes.

-OUT-
MondayNiteMauser
3/24/08 2:56:58PM
I like Fitch, and he should get a title shot just not right now. The way he is going about this is all wrong though. You don't say that GSP argueably the best welterweight in the world is running scared of you. Fitch needs to just keep his mouth shut and keep winning fights. I hope if Karo wins against Alves that they fight it out for the number 1 contender spot. Karo never got his shot he was suppose to get before he got injured, He has just as much to say for a title shot as fitch does in my opinion and they should fight it out!
Menard_StC
3/24/08 2:58:40PM
Convincing win over Chris Wilson LMAO

wrona666
3/24/08 3:02:27PM
After Fitch's last performance i dont think he should be calling out GSP, but i do believe the 8-0 does deserve a title shot, but i think if Karo beats Alves they should fight for the no. 1 contender spot...
TNunley
3/24/08 3:13:31PM
I would love to see this fight happen. Just so I wouldn't have to hear all of Fitch's nut huggers talk about how he is the best. He has yet to really prove anything aside from the fact that he is better than the average Joe. As far as records go, that is the most ridiculous claim for someone to make when saying they deserve a title shot (Maybe Jason Reinhardt should have fought for the belt). Fight Matt Hughes, Karo, or I'll even go as far as to say Koscheck and win decisively and we can discuss if you are really a top level fighter. You can't beat the lower level fighters and then assume that simply because you have won enough times you deserve to fight for the title until you have fought those far more deserving than you.
fufu
3/24/08 3:20:44PM
Fitch is a tool to make comments like that.
ocho-cinco
3/24/08 3:29:19PM
In my opinion, GSP was right to take down Hughes in the third fight. In there second fight Hughes tried to stand with GSP, and he only tried to take him down once. So after getting dominated and KO'd on his feet, Hughes was obviously going to try much harder to take GSP down in there 3rd fight. So When GSP took Hughes down that takes away his only weapon. If he stands with Hughes again he would be in danger of being taken down for 5 rounds. Not to mention I think wrestling is GSP's best atribute anyway.
McBee
3/24/08 3:44:42PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Thats pretty bold, but he is right about Hughes. He could have stood with him and knocked him out but chose to take it down and grind it out until he got the sub. After going 8-0 anybody should get a title shot.

He did not do it because it was too easy to KO him, he showed more by submitting him by playing to his strengths instead of his weaknesses. you and Fitch are retared and GSP will show it when he KOs Serra and does not give up the belt for the next 4+ years.
Hardcastle
3/24/08 3:53:40PM
apart from his meltdown against serra, which he will avenge in spectacular fashion on april 19, GSP recently mutilated the greatest welterweight of all time and mauled arguably the best wrestler in MMA. fitch on the other hand, is ekeing out decision wins over the likes of chris wilson and a demoralized diego sanchez. he might want to shut the **** up.

either way he's going to get thumped by GSP later in the year. this just makes me think he's a douchebag and will make fitch's horrendous beating at the hands of GSP that much more satisfying.
NatedawgThaM
3/24/08 3:54:15PM
Fitch will beat GSP.

There the same in a lot of ways. Both are big welterweights and use there size to look dominant. And a lot of people say Fitch's biggest wins were against big name guys who weren't matured yet, well you could say the same for GSP. Karo, Mayhem, and Heroin were no where near as good as they are now when they fought GSP.

To me it's going to come down to who's going to adjust with size the best because both win by using there overwhelming size. Which is why I'm going to pick Fitch since he's bigger then GSP and a better wrestler. He'll overpower GSP on the ground since GSP won't be bigger then him and Fitch trains with great strikers at AKA so they will get him ready. I think he will KO GSP and agree 100% with everything is says.

You guys need to give Wilson and Fitch more credit. Wilson is another tough bastard from Team Quest and he's the best striker they got there, says Joe Rogan. So of course Dan and Matt helped Wilson give Fitch trouble getting him down. There Olympic level wrestlers so of course having them on his side, Wilson gave him trouble. Fitch beat Wilson everywhere the fight went in rounds 2 and 3. So yes it was convincing. Give Fitch credit for taking him seriously. He didn't care he didn't know who he was, he still got the job down. While GSP refused to taker Serra seriously and paid the ultimate price, humiliation.
tuvok500
3/24/08 3:57:03PM

Posted by Hardcastle

apart from his meltdown against serra, which he will avenge in spectacular fashion on april 19, GSP recently mutilated the greatest welterweight of all time and mauled arguably the best wrestler in MMA. fitch on the other hand, is ekeing out decision wins over the likes of chris wilson and a demoralized diego sanchez. he might want to shut the **** up.

either way he's going to get thumped by GSP later in the year. this just makes me think he's a douchebag and will make fitch's horrendous beating at the hands of GSP that much more satisfying.

coldchillin
3/24/08 3:57:28PM
Fitch hasn't shown me enough to believe he has the skill-set available to beat St. Pierre. It's funny how he's acting like GSP has already beat Serra... Serra on his win streak has shown me he is able to come up with great strategies for his fights and I think he's going to give GSP a way better fight than anybody is expecting him, too. I still think St. Pierre is going to win the title but he isn't going to walk through Serra like everybody is expecting him too... I think Serra puts up more of a fight than Hughes did and then Fitch is going to.
gartface
3/24/08 4:01:15PM
Double KO would be my dream.
tberg420
3/24/08 4:12:20PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Fitch will beat GSP.

There the same in a lot of ways. Both are big welterweights and use there size to look dominant. And a lot of people say Fitch's biggest wins were against big name guys who weren't matured yet, well you could say the same for GSP. Karo, Mayhem, and Heroin were no where near as good as they are now when they fought GSP.

To me it's going to come down to who's going to adjust with size the best because both win by using there overwhelming size. Which is why I'm going to pick Fitch since he's bigger then GSP and a better wrestler. He'll overpower GSP on the ground since GSP won't be bigger then him and Fitch trains with great strikers at AKA so they will get him ready. I think he will KO GSP and agree 100% with everything is says.

You guys need to give Wilson and Fitch more credit. Wilson is another tough bastard from Team Quest and he's the best striker they got there, says Joe Rogan. So of course Dan and Matt helped Wilson give Fitch trouble getting him down. There Olympic level wrestlers so of course having them on his side, Wilson gave him trouble. Fitch beat Wilson everywhere the fight went in rounds 2 and 3. So yes it was convincing. Give Fitch credit for taking him seriously. He didn't care he didn't know who he was, he still got the job down. While GSP refused to taker Serra seriously and paid the ultimate price, humiliation.

You gave Wilson so much respect that you picked Fitch to submit him in the 2nd Round. You shouldn't have to give fighters credit for taking other fighters seriously. It's their job to do that. Fitch was less than convincing in that fight. He didn't dominate Wilson and was caught in a deep triangle choke at the end of the fight. Much like he was against Diego. Just because Fitch trains with great strikers doesn't mean that he can evolve into one. He won't out muscle GSP and I actually think that Matt Serra is a tougher fight for GSP because Serra has great BJJ along with some striking power.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/24/08 4:24:59PM
Styles
3/24/08 4:40:24PM
I think Fitch and Karo should be fighting each other right now. I truely believe that Fitch will beat GSP (after GSP beats Serra ofcourse). I doubt Karo has enough to take out either GSP or Fitch.
McBee
3/24/08 4:42:31PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Fitch will beat GSP.

somebody save this post so we can show this guy how clueless he is. Karo was already as good as he was going to get when he fought GSP and it is more about his wins against Koscheck, BJ(more or less), Trigg and Hughes(even his loss) that impress me and show his mettle. Compared a bunch of ok wins for Fitch. I know you love being a naysayer but sometimes it just makes you look retarded.
RMFG_187
3/24/08 5:09:29PM
Fitch will get KTFO Round 1
tberg420
3/24/08 5:09:36PM
Apparently some people don't know that GSP has already defeated Karo. Be nice to Natedawg as he usually picks the underdogs to win fights.
McBee
3/24/08 5:11:55PM

Posted by tberg420

Apparently some people don't know that GSP has already defeated Karo. Be nice to Natedawg as he usually picks the underdogs to win fights.

just picking them to be thought of as smart 1 out of 4 or 5 times is retarded and annoying
xxdeadpoolxx
3/24/08 5:12:54PM
Get in line pal. Hi last win was against a guy whos first fight in the ufc he has had many wins but should get in line with Karo (whos beaten way better guys imo and long been overdue for the shot since missing his missed title shot with hughes)
Pookie
3/24/08 5:20:19PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by tberg420

just picking them to be thought of as smart 1 out of 4 or 5 times is retarded and annoying

Pebbles of truth can be found in every pond...
McBee
3/24/08 5:28:08PM

Pebbles of truth can be found in every pond...

They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

I know it does not make any sense to the conversation but neither did you
masodd
3/24/08 5:47:25PM

Posted by strongmma

uh, GSP ripped Hughes' arm off and almost beat him with it. Fitch is delusional and would get murdered by St. Pierre.

Ok man your crazy if u think GSP would destroy fitch because fitch is one tough, good fighter. It would be a really close fight IMO but i think whoever wins at UFC 83, fitch is gonna take the belt from them so it don't matter. I don't think GSP will beat Serra when they fight, he's gonna be really tentative and that will be his down fall
Pages: [1] 2 3