Why does Fitch Deserve a title shot?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why does Fitch Deserve a title shot?
Tein_Lung
4/26/08 5:24:48AM
Hes on an 8 fight winning streak of people who are not int he top 10 or are barely in it... what real contender has he beat???

If just putting together a streak of wins over people no-one has herd of and people that are not even top 10 material then it seems that getting shot seems easy if you just pick easy opponents
StorminYourman
4/26/08 5:35:27AM
with wins over noteables like sanchez,alves,and carter and a17 and 2 record its hard to he is not the most derserveing
Jackelope
4/26/08 5:38:43AM
He's beaten a couple of decent names including Josh Burkman, Thiago Alves, and Diego Sanchez. That's nothing to scoff at, IMO, and the streak he's put together really speaks volumes in such a mixed up weight class. I definitely don't think Fitch is ready for GSP yet, and I'd like to see him score a win over someone like Hughes or Karo Parisyan, but the general consensus is that he's the #1 contender and I really can't argue that.

The division is stacked, and yet weak, if that makes any sense. There's just so much talent at the very top that it makes the rest of the division (which is ridiculously stacked) look like it isn't great talent.
seanfu
4/26/08 10:39:57AM
He definantly deserves one. He's just a plain bad mofo. But will he beat GSP........ummm.... hell no. He's a good fighter, he's a top 5. And the reason he was chosen is because the UFC has a guy who has great skills and an undefeated streak in the UFC. That's a lot of hype.

Fitch can beat anyone in the division short of GSP IMO. I think he should've had to fight one more top guy though. I think he caun take GSP down though.
stock
4/26/08 10:46:34AM

Posted by Tein_Lung

Hes on an 8 fight winning streak of people who are not int he top 10 or are barely in it... what real contender has he beat???

If just putting together a streak of wins over people no-one has herd of and people that are not even top 10 material then it seems that getting shot seems easy if you just pick easy opponents

Fitch seems like the obvious choice to me.

Who would YOU put against GSP next, and why would you pick that person over Fitch?
DevonFoxy
4/26/08 10:53:48AM
He beat Roan Carneiro as well who by no means is a joke fight. That man won the first round against Fitch imo. So don't forget about him.

The reason Fitch is getting a title shot is hes beaten everyone put in front of him. Is it his fault that they have been not top ten guys? No. So I think he deserve at least at shot at GSP.

Thats being said do I think he will do better then Koscheck did against GSP? No, much worse actually.
SpiderSilva
4/26/08 11:16:31AM
Fitch is the right choice

8 wins how many can say that WOW plus they have given title shots for less wins

he has beat the one I would say is the only other to be next Alves as he took Karos chance of a title shot (Bro) sorry had to put that in there.

plus we all know that Hughes will never beat GSP again and I would say hes #3
GSPvsHughes4 = SilvavsFranklin3 who would want to see something they have seen enough

Gipper
4/26/08 12:42:14PM
he deserves a shot. what else can he do except fight and beat the fighters they put in front of him. he's done that. he's next in line. if alves beats hughes then he will be after fitch.
Rush
4/26/08 1:51:07PM

Posted by Jackelope

The division is stacked, and yet weak, if that makes any sense. There's just so much talent at the very top that it makes the rest of the division (which is ridiculously stacked) look like it isn't great talent.

I know what you mean. I've already made my arguement for my opinion on Fitch not being ready for a title shot.
mrkennedy
4/26/08 4:18:18PM
8 in row is not enough for you
jiujitsufreak74
4/26/08 6:07:28PM
honestly, it is a more a matter of the lack of true contenders. i mean, of all the guys in the running for the title none have put together the right strain of wins to be considered the hands down #1 contender. Fitch has just been beating who the UFC has put in front of him, and personally i would like for him to have more impressive wins; but he hasn't and imo neither has anyone else. so to me, Fitch is most deserving of a title shot by default. Joe Silva didn't really map out the WW division like he should have because as fans we are left wanting. i say the true contender would be the winner of a fight between Hughes/Alves winner and Fitch. but that would mean GSP would wait too long.

Posted by Jackelope

i 100% agree. with all of the talent at 170 you would expect more high profile match ups. i think that wouldn't be a problem if the top WWs faced off like they should. Kos shouldn't have fought Hazlett, Fitch shouldn't have faced Wilson and Diego has to get back in the mix. if every WW was high stakes then we wouldn't have that problem. there are so many match ups that are possible that Joe Silva seems to ignore.
bigbubbano23
4/26/08 7:35:11PM
dude this guy has beaten not won by decison every fighter the ufc threw at him. he's definatly the best choice fir the next title shot.
JimiMak
4/26/08 7:39:57PM
This division is so stacked that it's hard for anyone to put together a big streak against all the other top guys. Fitch is more deserving than guys like Diego or Kos at this point and I don't see a problem w/ him getting the next shot.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/28/08 12:22:39AM
Hmm, lets see here. The UFC has 9 out of the top 10 WW in the world.

GSP is number one. He's beaten Serra, Kos, and Hughes...all fighters who are also in the top 10.

So that leaves five people left. Diego, Alves, Parysian, Davis, and Fitch.

Alves has beaten Parysian, so that means as far as contendership is concerned, he's above him.

Fitch has beaten Diego, and Alves, which puts him above those two...which means he's also above Karo by default.

Davis has not faced anybody in the top 10.

Therfore, Fitch is number one...even without the 8 win streak.
Rush
4/28/08 11:03:33AM

Posted by mrkennedy

8 in row is not enough for you

In short, his competition has not stepped up a whole lot during that 8 fight stay with the UFC. I don't think he has fought and beaten enough people considered to be top 10 (or debatably top 15)

He needs to fight another top 5 guy to convince me that he can hang witht he big boys.

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Fitch has beaten Diego, and Alves, which puts him above those two...which means he's also above Karo by default.

By this kind of logic Denis Hallman should be back int he UFC for a title shot because he beat Hughes twice.
Tein_Lung
4/28/08 2:29:36PM

Posted by JimiMak

This division is so stacked that it's hard for anyone to put together a big streak against all the other top guys. Fitch is more deserving than guys like Diego or Kos at this point and I don't see a problem w/ him getting the next shot.

thats true its hard to build a streak against the top fighters but fitch hasn't faced but one of the top or 2 of the top fighters in his 8 fights... I agree hes the "best" canadate but then what does that say about the shape of the WW div??? a guy who has not beaten a top 5 fighters gets a shot at the number 1. Not to mention what are the repercusions gonna be when GSP makes him look like a total amature?
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/28/08 3:36:38PM
Obviously you didn't read my post.
Jackelope
4/28/08 4:21:13PM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Hmm, lets see here. The UFC has 9 out of the top 10 WW in the world.

GSP is number one. He's beaten Serra, Kos, and Hughes...all fighters who are also in the top 10.

So that leaves five people left. Diego, Alves, Parysian, Davis, and Fitch.

Alves has beaten Parysian, so that means as far as contendership is concerned, he's above him.

Davis has not faced anybody in the top 10.

Therfore, Fitch is number one...even without the 8 win streak.

Not disagreeing with Fitch deserving a title shot here. (as you'll see in my post towards the beginning of this thread)

Unfortunately, this kind of logic, while logical in every sense of the word, doesn't seem to be the logic Joe Silva uses. It makes for an argument, but is certainly not the whole picture.

I think Fitch is getting his title shot more based on the fact that he's got that big win streak going, the fans are starting to really recognize him, and there's no other fighters that haven't faced GSP who would stand much of a chance.

If you ask me, I don't think Fitch is ready. I think he deserves it, but I don't think he's ready. Hopefully he'll surprise me.
jimmypockets
4/30/08 2:37:44AM
As much as it pains me to say it Fitch is next in line for GSP. I cannot say that he deserves it but he should get it. He is on a nice win streak. The downside is his fight style. He fights to get a win and not to beat up his opponent or end the fight. To me he really doesn't have much of a shot unless St. Pierre just chooses not to train for the fight. In a 5 round fight, Fitch's "control your oponent only fight style", is going to be very hard to keep up.
Broknmunky
5/5/08 8:50:32AM
Fitch deserves the shot.
warglory
5/5/08 7:13:22PM
I like how one of these pops up about once a month, yet Fitch continues to win his matches, never complaining that more than half of his matches were put on the undercard despite his dominant performances and wins. Fitch has shown he is a winner by obliterating the opponents put in front of him. He is a great representative for the company and would serve well as a potential champion. Unlike Serra, Fitch has earned his shot leaps and bounds above anyone else.

I also think he has a great chance of winning.