Who should get the first shot at Mir-Lesner?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who should get the first shot at Mir-Lesner?
POLL: Who should get the first shot at Mir-Lesner?
Gabriel Gonzaga-Shane Carwin (winner) 77% (48)
Cain Velasquez-Dennis Stojnioc (winner) 3% (2)
Junior dos Santos-Stefan Struve (winner) 0% (0)
Other 19% (12)
mentalcase
2/5/09 6:32:42AM
copcopps
2/5/09 7:02:03AM
I think Carwin and Gonzaga are the only two legit competition for the two.
cowcatcher
2/5/09 7:03:38AM
well its got to be the gonzaga carwin winner IMO. im not sure that carwin has beaten the kind of fighters you want your number 1 contender to have on his resume, but like brock hes kind of a special case because hes just so physically dominant. after those 2 its probably going to end up being the winner of a couture nog match i would guess.
whardin19
2/5/09 7:43:39AM
Hard question here. I see it being a two man race. Those two men being the winner of the Carwin/Gonzaga matchup and Kongo. Kongo has destroyed people lately. Kongo deserves the next shot if he beats Hardonk. If that is his next opponent. If not you got to give it to the Carwin/Gonzaga winner.
tmas
2/5/09 8:46:32AM

Posted by whardin19

Hard question here. I see it being a two man race. Those two men being the winner of the Carwin/Gonzaga matchup and Kongo. Kongo has destroyed people lately. Kongo deserves the next shot if he beats Hardonk. If that is his next opponent. If not you got to give it to the Carwin/Gonzaga winner.

yep yep right on thats exactly what i was gonna say. I see

Carwin/Kongo for #1 contender in the near future.
casey64
2/5/09 9:03:26AM
Winner of Gonzaga and Carwin
wiggum
2/5/09 10:04:10AM

Posted by cowcatcher

well its got to be the gonzaga carwin winner IMO. im not sure that carwin has beaten the kind of fighters you want your number 1 contender to have on his resume, but like brock hes kind of a special case because hes just so physically dominant. after those 2 its probably going to end up being the winner of a couture nog match i would guess.

totally agree....i think that the ufc brass has already gone on record saying winner gets title shot.....carwin is huge and would be a really good matchup with brock, carwin weighed in his last fight a rock solid 260 so he wont be giving up much weight as most, plus his hands are bigger than brocks (just thought id throught that in there again).... i think another thing we have to consider with carwin is that (tho not top caliber) he has finished all his opponents in one round..mir-carwin would be about the same matchup as mir-lesnar in my book......gonzaga i think is on a pretty good tear against cans and seems to be re-focused so he's my pick for the next title shot and holder no matter who wins the lesnar-mir fight......if and when (and i hope it does) the couture nog match will be number two, if that match doesnt happen, then kongo....i dont feel kongo has earned a shot beating cans since the herring loss, but its kinda one of those "whose the next most legit guy?" situation......also in the mix could be potential signings such as overeem, but if they do sign him, hes debut wont be for awhile due to the dream contract
Twenty20Dollars
2/5/09 10:21:30AM
If Gonzaga beats Carwin, gonzaga gets the shot. If Gonzaga loses to Carwin and Kongo beats Hardonk. Kongo gets the shot. Carwin beats gonzaga and kongo loses, carwin gets a shot.
Mayhem13
2/5/09 11:44:01AM
^^

I agree with twenty!!

but have to spread the love
postman
2/5/09 12:47:19PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

If Gonzaga beats Carwin, gonzaga gets the shot. If Gonzaga loses to Carwin and Kongo beats Hardonk. Kongo gets the shot. Carwin beats gonzaga and kongo loses, carwin gets a shot.

Pretty much agree here and if Junior wins his next fight he should get a Carwin GG Kongo type guy he wins that he would be in the mix IMO.
postman
2/5/09 12:49:58PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Pretty much agree here and if Junior wins his next fight he should get a Carwin GG Kongo type guy he wins that he would be in the mix IMO. Also depending on who wins the Randy Nog match and the Brock Mir match the landscape changes. I don't see a quick rematch of either Nog Mir or Brock Randy but Rany Mir or Brock Nog could be there agian depending on the out comes.

I ahve no Idea what i did on this 1/2 double post
PABLOMAFIOSO
2/5/09 1:08:41PM
Kongo should be next IMO "Give him the teetle"
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Hendo67
2/5/09 2:14:20PM
Kongo vs winner of Gonzaga/Carwin, imo
1daveufc
2/5/09 2:35:12PM
Kongo even if it is just to shut him up.
MattHughesRules
2/5/09 3:41:04PM
Based on the crappy depth in this division currently it has to be Gonzaga when he beats Carwin. However, I would rather see a fight between Couture and Nog then any possible title fights on the horizon. However i am interested in Mir vs. Brock 2. Cheering hard for Mir though!
prozacnation1978
2/5/09 9:41:18PM
i say gonzaga wins he gets first shot if he loses i say if kongo wins he gets it
State_Champ
2/5/09 9:44:56PM
WHOEVER GETS THE NEXT SHOT IS GONNA LOSE TO LESNAR ANYWAYS!!!
so does it even matter?
bls1919
2/6/09 6:33:41PM
I picked the winner of Gonzaga/Carwin. But I think the winner of that fight needs one more victory over either Randy or NOG. Maybe even a fight with Cain Velesquez. Then onto the new undisputed champ. Totaly forgot about kongo. he should fight the winner of GG/Carwin for # 1
breakdown5
2/6/09 8:13:15PM
Like everyone else, I voted for the winner of Gonzaga/Carwin should get the next crack. The UFC's HW division is not too stacked and I think they would benefit from putting off the next shot so these two could get another fight in. That would probably be the best scenario IMO.

But if Carwin wins, I'm not so sure they would give him the shot without another fight.
StorminYourman
2/7/09 12:27:01AM
Fedor

UFC should do what they can to get him

also Overeem and Kharatonov would be good pick ups along with Barnett
DangerousDjohn
2/7/09 10:08:16AM
This is the order list IMO assuming each fighter got a W...by wat of whom is most deserving

1. Gonzaga-I think Carwin will beat him, but Gonzaga deserves another shot.
2. Kongo-Hes been boarderline for a while...whats it gonna hurt.
3. Carwin-He can throw bombs and tap you out...what more can you ask?
4. Velasquez-He could fight for it now, and make a good fight out of it, but they dont wanna rush him.
5. Hardonk/Dos Santos-You gotta vet and a young gun.
jocksmall
2/7/09 1:10:14PM
fedor is the only hw champ regardless of org
NinjaCyborg
2/20/09 2:28:23AM

Posted by jocksmall

Are you referring to the WAMMA belt? Honestly, until the UFC recognizes WAMMA I don't believe it will be taken seriously.

But I would really like to see Fedor fight Lesnar. I'm all about watching dream matchups.
cmill21
2/20/09 3:26:10AM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Posted by jocksmall

Are you referring to the WAMMA belt? Honestly, until the UFC recognizes WAMMA I don't believe it will be taken seriously.

But I would really like to see Fedor fight Lesnar. I'm all about watching dream matchups.

As long as Fedor holds the belt it doesn't matter.