Had my first "Oh Sh*t!" moment as a parent

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Had my first "Oh Sh*t!" moment as a parent
kopower
6/2/12 10:53:36PM
So my son is almost 9 months old now. He has been crawling like a baby on crack lately. I mean the kid doesn't sit still, ever. He is also pulling himself up on furniture, stairs, etc. So, on Thursday night, I was giving him his bath in the kitchen sink while listening to the MMA@Work show. Normally, he just splashes around a bit, and sits contently in the tub that sits in the sink. I had my computer on the stove, just a few feet away on the opposite wall. I turned my head to check the screen, and just as I started looking back at the sink, I see my son flip out of the tub. I literally dove on the ground, and caught him with one arm, his head landing in my hand. Freaked me out.

So anybody else out there have any moments like this, with their children, or younger siblings for that matter?
Chael_Sonnen
6/2/12 11:13:44PM
I gave my dog (Mr. Danger Waffles) a bath in the sink and he took off running like Lyota Machida would in a 3 round fight

.....but then he smelled the aroma of Burger King french fries and he relaxed a bit like Andy would.
jae_1833
6/2/12 11:32:21PM
As a Dad of three I have had my fair share of these moments....good catch bro!
KungFuMaster
6/3/12 12:00:48AM
I would recommend doing the bath thing in the actual bath tub. It's just safer that way.

I had two Oh Sh*t moments. The first one - my mother came over to visit and she wanted to spend some time with her granddaughter ( my first born ) who is 7 months. My mother needed to do something very quick and put my daughter on the dining table. Luckily, I happened to pass by and grabbed my daughter while her head was already over the edge of the table. Phew...close call. I got into an argument with my mother about the situation and even 'til this day, my mother still resents me for yelling at her.

Second Oh Sh&t moment: My youngest got very sick. She was only about a year old. I had just came home from work. I barely sat down and my wife screams from the top of her lungs from the bedroom. She tells me to call 911 immediately.

Anyway, what happened was my youngest was so sick - she stopped breathing. She literally turned blue. We later learned our daughter suffered a seizure and the non-breathing episode was part of the seizure. That was the scariest day of my life because I knew nothing about seizures. All I knew was my daughter stopped breathing. Anyway, she is 5 now and doing great.
kopower
6/3/12 12:12:33AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I would recommend doing the bath thing in the actual bath tub. It's just safer that way.

I had two Oh Sh*t moments. The first one - my mother came over to visit and she wanted to spend some time with her granddaughter ( my first born ) who is 7 months. My mother needed to do something very quick and put my daughter on the dining table. Luckily, I happened to pass by and grabbed my daughter while her head was already over the edge of the table. Phew...close call. I got into an argument with my mother about the situation and even 'til this day, my mother still resents me for yelling at her.

Second Oh Sh&t moment: My youngest got very sick. She was only about a year old. I had just came home from work. I barely sat down and my wife screams from the top of her lungs from the bedroom. She tells me to call 911 immediately.

Anyway, what happened was my youngest was so sick - she stopped breathing. She literally turned blue. We later learned our daughter suffered a seizure and the non-breathing episode was part of the seizure. That was the scariest day of my life because I knew nothing about seizures. All I knew was my daughter stopped breathing. Anyway, she is 5 now and doing great.

Scary stuff KFM. I'd be a wreck if my son quite breathing for any amount of time. Glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

I'm sure the fun is just beginning with these moments. I hear babies and young kids are pretty resilient when it comes to falls and injuries.

Gotta spread the love
KungFuMaster
6/3/12 12:30:47AM

Posted by kopower

Posted by KungFuMaster

Scary stuff KFM. I'd be a wreck if my son quite breathing for any amount of time. Glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

I'm sure the fun is just beginning with these moments. I hear babies and young kids are pretty resilient when it comes to falls and injuries.

Gotta spread the love

I have always been a protective father to my kids and I tell you what?....I am dreading the day my daughters grow up and want to date. I think I'll begin my gun collection now.
Rabi
6/3/12 7:04:42AM
Ive had 2 awful moment, one with my daughter and one with my nephew.

1. We had pulled up in a car on the side of the road, I got my daughter out the car, on the road side (a stupid thing to do) and I told he to walk around to the pavement, meaning around past the car, she went for the other pavement across a busy road, luckily the car driver was more switched on them me, if was such a stupid thing for me to do, she was probably around 4 at the time.

2. I had my nephew on my shoulders, and I was messing around like i do and he fell off my shoulders backwards and landed on his head on the concrete. The fall was nasty and I took him straight inside, he was starting to feel drousey which i believe to be a sign of concussion. We took him to hospital and they did an X-Ray and he had cracked his skull (only a little crack) they kept in hospital for a few days and he is fine now (again he was about 4 when this happened) I did feel really guilty though.
Bubbles
6/3/12 10:51:29AM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I'm glad to hear she is doing fine btw the first thing your daughters boyfriend should see from you is this

Bubbles
6/3/12 10:54:28AM

Posted by kopower

So my son is almost 9 months old now. He has been crawling like a baby on crack lately. I mean the kid doesn't sit still, ever. He is also pulling himself up on furniture, stairs, etc. So, on Thursday night, I was giving him his bath in the kitchen sink while listening to the MMA@Work show. Normally, he just splashes around a bit, and sits contently in the tub that sits in the sink. I had my computer on the stove, just a few feet away on the opposite wall. I turned my head to check the screen, and just as I started looking back at the sink, I see my son flip out of the tub. I literally dove on the ground, and caught him with one arm, his head landing in my hand. Freaked me out.

those are some great reflexes. Sucks its not on video...you would be Super Dad I have to ask the question though....why the kitchen sink of all places? lol

kopower
6/3/12 11:48:33AM
It's a little tub that fits into the kitchen sink. So we don't have to get wet with him, and bend over like in the bathroom tub. Makes it much easier.
Shawn91111
6/4/12 8:04:38AM
Why do you still wash him in the sink?
Shawn91111
6/4/12 8:15:18AM
Only real Oh shit moment with my 4 yr old son happened when he was 2. He ran into my bedroom and tripped, did a header into the rail of the bed frame. I'm in the bathroom brushing my teeth, my wife is screaming. I come out and his entire left side of his face is blood. I'm like 'oh shit'. I don't freak out in pressure situations. So he is crying obviously, his face is pretty white. How he didnt pass out is beyond me. I saw the cut right above his eye and said lets go to the ER he needs stitches.

He stopped crying when we got to the ER, they put a gel Novocaine on his cut then did the shot of Novocaine. My wife cant stand blood or anything so she left to go outside with her dad. Even if I was going to pass out I was not leaving my son. Luckily I am fine with blood and guts etc. Anyhow they strapped him to a back brace and I held his head and talked to him.

They did 5 hook stitches on the inside and 10 to cover, so 15 total. Here is a pic from that night.

kopower
6/4/12 8:40:53AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Why do you still wash him in the sink?

He's still small enough to fit in the tub. It's just easier. I'm sure we'll switch to the bathtub in the next month or two.

That's a nasty cut on your little guy. Glad he ended up being ok.
Playground_Samurai
6/4/12 10:59:56AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I gave my dog (Mr. Danger Waffles) a bath in the sink and he took off running like Lyota Machida would in a 3 round fight

.....but then he smelled the aroma of Burger King french fries and he relaxed a bit like Andy would.

LMFAO. You're fucking hilarious
prozacnation1978
6/4/12 11:38:03PM
Glad I dont have kids or a dog yet.
Once the kids come. No more live fights for me
I would probably freak out if i was u
spang714
6/4/12 11:50:34PM
I was doing some work in the attic, and I was using one of those huge maglite flashlights (probably weighed 3 or so lbs)....I propped it up on its end while i moved a box....as i turned around i hit the flashlight and it fell down, rolled off the edge and fell down to the garage floor...missing my 3 yr old daughters head by inches...that was a close one...
bjj1605
6/7/12 11:41:45PM
This is a great thread!!

None of my friends have kids so I never get to hear or share stories with them.

Here's my top two "OH SHIT" moments.

1st-- My daughter (Olivia) was only about two weeks old. Her mom was carrying her down the stairs and fell. I was across the room, close enough to see everything but far enough away so as to be helpless. My girlfriend pulled Olivia into her chest to protect her and took the worst of the fall herself.

Amazingly, neither of them was seriously hurt. Lauren (my girlfriend) had banged up her back a little bit, but nothing serious. Olivia was completely fine and even laughing afterwards.

2nd-- Earlier today actually. My daughter is 3 and 1/2 now. She came in to my room (where the X-Box is) and asked if she could watch me play a video game (Skyrim). I responded "I don't think your mommy would like that very much, it's not a good game for kids."

She said, "Don't worry daddy, I just won't tell mommy."

I paused for a second, a bit horrified, and then explained to her that it was not right to keep secrets from her parents. And that If she wants to do something that she can't tell one of us about, she probably shouldn't be doing it to begin with.

She thought about it for a second and said, "I know. I'll just do it and then say 'sorry' afterwards."

At that moment I realized the we had moved into a new "phase."