First Jujitsu class today

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » First Jujitsu class today
brooklynbadass
9/19/07 11:00:13AM
Hello all. I went and checked out a local Brazallian Jujitsu gym on Monday, did some introductury lessons and decided to sign for 6 months of training. I have my first official class tonight (beginners bjj class). Any one have any pointers or words of wisdom? What should I do/not do and what to expect? This will be first time trying any martial arts.

Thanks!
EddieBowers
9/19/07 11:22:04AM
Do not do like a lot of guys do when they come to my class and act like they are in the UFC.... start trying to pick people up and slam them. Get ready for a great workout. But most of all just have fun. Good luck.
ghosted3
9/19/07 11:58:24AM
Listen well, and pay close attention. Most instructors go through the move they are teaching about 3 times, and dont be afraid to ask questions about anything. Its better to ask than to get yourself or possible someone else hurt. Lastly, have a good time and welcome to BJJ.
loonytnt
9/19/07 12:03:54PM
do the class, work hard dont not to hard because you need to work your body into it,and if you can see if someone can tape you doing the moves so you can look back, its great to see how much you grow in 6months too, good luck and have fun
Omega
9/19/07 12:16:02PM
Hey loony, I'm coming to Idaho in late Oct. Where do you train I'll try to visit.
enemyofmany
9/19/07 1:00:21PM
i say keep at it,dont miss any practices,and dont be afraid too compete in some grappling tourney's with the same belt rank,even if its white belt or a novice tourney.you can learn alot quick by competing.
Rush
9/19/07 1:23:08PM
Leave your ego at the door and don't be reluctant to tap (a lot). It's just practice and just because you tap a lot doesn't mean you are horrible.
brooklynbadass
9/19/07 2:33:49PM
Thanks guys! i'll post how everything goes tomorrow!
jakeovgy
9/19/07 3:18:43PM

Posted by Rush

Leave your ego at the door and don't be reluctant to tap (a lot). It's just practice and just because you tap a lot doesn't mean you are horrible.

great advice, some new kids came to my class - about 17 and im 16 and was grappling, he wouldnt tap i had him in an armbar twice and a RNC but he wudnt tap and moaned at me at the end sayin i shouldnt be so hard on newcomers, i was not putting anything on and he was forcing pain on himself tryin to wriggle out, its just stupid, so yeh i agree once theyve got it tap dnt wanna busted arm
Svartorm
9/19/07 5:07:21PM
Great advice about the tapping. You're probably going to tap out a good 10,000 times in the next six months, so theres no sense causing yourself pain for absolutely no reason.

Just enjoy the workout and get all you can out of it.
Stickan
9/19/07 5:38:32PM
Other than the great advice above. Relax, don't be nervous and don't panic. You don't wanna spasm all over the place, that's how people (including yourself) get hurt and how your gastank diminishes in seconds.

If you get put in a bad spot, don't panic and try to rip your way out of it. Still resist, but relax and find solutions.

And finally, be observant when you got a guy in a submission. Don't yank or crank anything. Take it slow and expect to feel or hear the tap or a verbal submission.

And more technical tips. Be creative. Try stuff out and don't be afraid of failing strange subs or being put in strange positions. Experience is everything.
That is something I didn't do my first months. I tried to play safe all the time and didn't learn as much then as I should've. Try stuff out!
loonytnt
9/20/07 12:58:06AM

Posted by Omega

Hey loony, I'm coming to Idaho in late Oct. Where do you train I'll try to visit.

i got a school in salmon idaho
brooklynbadass
9/20/07 12:19:44PM
class was great! they showed us a couple of different ways to pass guard. Boy my thighs and butt area are realllly sore, can't wait for the next one!
ghosted3
9/20/07 12:59:17PM
glad to hear you like it!
loonytnt
9/21/07 12:17:23AM

Posted by brooklynbadass

class was great! they showed us a couple of different ways to pass guard. Boy my thighs and butt area are realllly sore, can't wait for the next one!

nice to see you liked it i love ju jitsu it is so fun, i think i like it more then stand up