my first fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » my first fight
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 4:19:58PM
Hey guys I'm training for my first fight in April and it was supposed to be against someone at 154. He backed out and now I'm without an opponent at that wieght but I have the option of fighting at 165 against someone. My wieght right now is 164-167 and I would be struggling to maintain that wieght for the fight.

richieb19
2/17/07 4:21:44PM
Is it a pro or ammy fight?
bayonetxwork
2/17/07 4:51:45PM
you'd definitely be light for that class if your walking weight is under the weigh-in weight. just do what you feel most comfortable doing. IMO, I wouldn't force myself to get into a different weight class that i didn't want to, just for the sake of fighting. Is this Am or Pro though? If its pro its more serious in the matter that your probably locked in on some sort of contract which could be voided.
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/17/07 9:14:01PM
donair
crimethinc
2/18/07 4:03:28AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

i get paid 100 dollars for my troubles lol....

Then it's a pro fight. Any type of compensation for the fight makes it a pro bout. I'm surprised you've never had an amateur fight before this. You may want to check with the sanctioning body beforehand because if you are a sanctioned pro then it's pro bouts from here on in. You should really have a few amateur bouts first.
Svartorm
2/18/07 4:37:39AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Hey guys I'm training for my first fight in April and it was supposed to be against someone at 154. He backed out and now I'm without an opponent at that wieght but I have the option of fighting at 165 against someone. My wieght right now is 164-167 and I would be struggling to maintain that wieght for the fight.

Plus the guy Im fighting walks around at 180. Im a little nervous saying yes because I feel like small in that wieght class and would give up alot of reach/size advantages.

Im signed on to fight and if I lose Im going out swinging but Im still really nervous about it.

Has anyone here had to make this kind of choice? and if so how did you handle it?

any other helpful feedback would be great !

thx!

I fight open weight and I'm well into the heavy weight division, so I can't be too much help.

I'd say if you're confident in your abilities, then bulk up as much as you can without losing speed and go for it. Otherwise just wait until you get an opponent at your own weight.
FutureLWchamp
2/19/07 1:39:45PM
i dont have too much experience but i would agree that if u r confident then gain if u wont lose speed
deadcore
2/19/07 1:44:58PM
well, you would at least you would gain some ring experience. you will find out where you stand. go for it man!
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/19/07 3:31:54PM
In my local area, BC Canada, There isnt really any amatur MMA. The only amatur is in house club events that arent much tougher than a hard sparring session w/ takedowns. Its "pro" but "pro" like the WNBA
FutureLWchamp
2/19/07 6:36:37PM
do it 4 sure then man
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/19/07 9:26:19PM
I took the fight. Is there any ammy organizations in the US?
Stickan
2/22/07 6:55:15PM
Good luck in the fight. Think about Royce Gracie, BJ Penn..... and maybe even Sudo vs Butterbean

I'm sure you'll do fine. Props for being ballsy.
Buddharox
2/23/07 5:14:56AM
May the Lord be with you, Jeff.

Is it in Van?
MrGreeny
2/23/07 7:49:47PM

Posted by Buddharox

May the Lord be with you, Jeff.

Is it in Van?

This sounds like he is going to be decapitated
I think the better sentence here is "Good luck, Jeff" So, Good luck, Jeff :)
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/24/07 3:48:47PM
Naw its not in Van

thx all!

Training hard and I'll try and post a sparring vid soon!