First day of sparring

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » First day of sparring
fedorwins1
8/24/07 12:28:38PM
Last night I sparred for the first time and it was really fun. I got started out with the best kid in there though! It was hard for me to hold back on punches and I had to say to myself to calm down a few times because I was starting to go to hard. I think the kid I was sparring with has an upcoming kickboxing fight and he only used american kickboxing rules which was hard for me because I use alot of leg kicks, the first thing I threw was a leg kick and then my instructor told me not to do that, so then right after that I hit him with a flush head kick and my instructor says you can't do that either lol.

The next two matches were San Shou and what they call takedowns are not takedowns to me, the guy shot in on me and I sprawled perfectly and it was considered a takedown for him? I had a PERFECT Ernesto Hoost combo, I had a three punch combo and then a perfect leg kick and then another three punch combo. The one kid kept using spinning side kicks and I only got hit by them like twice, but man that took the wind out of me and I was on defense for alittle trying to get my wind back. I have to learn to use control though because I got a Thai clinch and I can tell I hurt him with some knees to the stomach....my bad......

Can't wait to go back and spar again it was really fun.
loonytnt
8/24/07 2:01:26PM
congretz, yeah i love sparring
Mastodon2
8/24/07 3:50:25PM
Yeah you really need to take it easy on the knees in the clinch. Never drive them in, only tap them. The knee, while having quite a large striking surface, is a really powerful strike, espescially from within the clinch. My master has us do a knee drill where we shield our stomachs with our Thai pads, then our parter clinches us, then delivers 20 alternating straight knees (Khow Trong) to the abdomen. Even with the Thai pads, you can feel the knees crushing into you. They are incredible powerful, if you consider the power of them being brought up, and the backwards leaning shoulder movement. Add the down pull from the clinch and you've got some lethal weapons.

Not as useful in MMA since wrestlers dont fight in the Thai clinch, they just try and rush in and hug, or push you against the fence. Also not that useful in K-1 since they dont allow clinching for anything more than a few seconds. They are so powerful, that like elbows, they are pretty much restricted exlusively to Muay Thai bouts. Obviously elbows are allowed in MMA, but thats a whole different ball game.

As for sparring, taking it easy depends on who you are training with. I can imagine it being more difficult to regulate against someone who is a complete pain in the arse, but if they are cool and you are just getting frustrated and hitting them out of anger then you need to chill out and assess whether you have the maturity and self control to spar.

The one thing my Master always tells us before we spar is that we have to train like Thai's if we want to consider ourselves practicioners of their art. He notes that in Thailand, the fighters go easy on each other in sparring. Since its a poor country, some of the money they make fighting at weekends goes to their gym to help feed them. If they spar too hard and injure eachother, or compromise eachother's ability to fight then they might go hungry if they cant make enough income to eat. When I look at it like that, the people I spar with are members of my team, and I want them all strong and healthy, so that if we (Jaruenmong Muay Thai) enter a competition, we will all be on top form. We do have one or two guys who can't really train properly because of injuries, not received in sparring, but an injured guy is just another guy I can't pair up with for drills or to spar. I know a lot of combat gyms don't instil that team mentality, and at the end of the day in Muay Thai, or any other combat sport, you really are on your own once you are in the ring and that bell goes. That said, there is just no need to hurt people in sparring.

Whats the deal with no leg kicks? I know he is only a kick boxer, but its not like the leg kicks change anything too much. And no head kicks? I advocate going easy in sparring, but with shin guards on (good ones, not the $10 super thin ones) you can kick someone in the head pretty hard and not injure them, because good shin pads disperse the impact.

I use Fairtex Shinguards, they are quite big and bulky, and also expensive (as all Fairtex gear is) and getting kicked with them still hurts (My brother has the same ones, only in a different colour, and other guys on our team bought them after having a look at ours) but they do take away focused impacts so you dont get those nasty deep bruises that Muay Thai can give you. They are very comfortable, but like any shin pads they will slow you down a little, but if you can get powerful and quick with them on when you take them off it your kicks will be even more lethal.

fedorwins1
8/24/07 5:41:59PM
Oh believe me I'm not some one who brings their ego in the gym. I just had alot of adrenaline because that was the first time sparring and I just needed to tell myself to calm down alittle. With the headkick thing IDK what's up with it, we have ALOT of protection(since we're under 18 it's mandatory to wear a caged headgear, yeah I know it's ghey and it's not realistic but we have to wear it) and we have good shinguards also. Since we have alittle bit more protection it's ok to go alittle bit harder and our teacher will actually say it's ok if you both want to go hard.
Mastodon2
8/24/07 6:45:23PM
Tbh I know more people who have been concussed or KO'd in head guards than without them. Some assholes apparently think a headgaurd is open license to go full power.

Either way, if you gotta wear em, you gotta em. I've never actually worn one, I know some of the guys I train with use headgear + body protectors just to ensure that they take absolutely no dings before a fight though.
fedorwins1
8/24/07 6:54:55PM
Yeah with these headguards you could take a sledgehammer to the head and not be the slightest bit phased by it lol.