First day of grappling

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » First day of grappling
fedorwins1
7/3/07 9:25:19PM
Well today was the first day of grappling for me and it was great! The place is tiny and there was only about 15 people, but everyone was really cool and if you asked them a question they would give you a detailed answer.

The class was and hour and a half long, but it didn't seem that long. First off we started doing drills like triangles, armbars, kimuras, guillotines and americanas. Next, we moved onto escapes, like stacking them up with they go for a trianle and different types of armbar escapes. We did this for about an hour.

Finally, we did free rolling for a half hour! It was five minute rounds with 45 second rests inbetween. It was kind of weird that everyone was asking me if I've done wrestling before and I've never wrestled a day in my life. The only problem is that I got MAJOR mat burn on my knees and the top of my feet also. I'm going to Sports Authority tomorrow to get a knee pad and some wrestling shoes. Oh yeah, this was one of the hardest work outs I've ever done! Very good for cardio.

All in all, it was an awesome experience and on Thursday I'm doing MMA class
InkedUp
7/3/07 9:56:05PM
yeah, grappling classes are always fun. And about the only thing I have found for mat burn besides pads is wait til the mats are half way slick from other people breaking them in. The dont seem to tear you up that much once they have been used for a while.
cincyassasin
7/3/07 11:46:10PM
SUCK IT UP
loller90278
7/4/07 2:09:02AM
i used to bleed from my feet when grappling for too long and my knees too
FeelTheJoy
7/4/07 7:08:10AM
yea my friends joined team quest a while ago. they said it was fun and that the workout is great and that the trainers are really good. im gona join soon and its perfect because its only 5 miles away. and its gona be awesome cuz its the one in temecula that dan owns. i walked in there a while ago and saw gabe from the ultimate fighter. i wanted to say why did you give up like.you were so close.
jakeovgy
7/4/07 7:14:49AM
grappling is soo tiring, i did about 30 mins of grappling, no breaks and nearly died lol
fedorwins1
7/4/07 2:17:07PM

Posted by cincyassasin

SUCK IT UP

This isn't like little brush burns, it's a huge scab on both of my knees and I have it on the top of my feet also. Plus my knees aren't so great to begin with, so a knee pad will help with that also.
akumairon
7/5/07 12:30:35AM
30 mins no stop is tough but it shouldn't be that bad unless your new and try to resit everything and muscle your way out of everything or muscle your way into posistion or if you have an easy opponet
fedorwins1
7/5/07 1:59:28PM

Posted by akumairon

30 mins no stop is tough but it shouldn't be that bad unless your new and try to resit everything and muscle your way out of everything or muscle your way into posistion or if you have an easy opponet

Uhh did you read the title, I said it's my first day of grappling.
bayonetxwork
7/5/07 2:40:07PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by akumairon

Uhh did you read the title, I said it's my first day of grappling.

Don't worry about it, I can't even understand a fragment of what he just said
akumairon
7/5/07 9:44:15PM
wow i don't even remember what i wrote i think i was drunk but anyways you will get used to it
Edit:That and i wasn't talking to you i was talking to the guy who did the 30 minutes of non stop grappling
fedorwins1
7/6/07 1:07:23PM

Posted by akumairon

wow i don't even remember what i wrote i think i was drunk but anyways you will get used to it
Edit:That and i wasn't talking to you i was talking to the guy who did the 30 minutes of non stop grappling

Oh ok sorry my bad. Anyway last night was MMA and we did single and double leg takedowns, punch combinations and then a takedown, a few leg locks, a grappling dummy circut (punches, elbows, sprawling, knees), and I learned a whizer which was really easy.
akumairon
7/6/07 3:21:32PM
nice, nice remember keep your head close to there body when going for the double leg or single leg so you don't get guillotined