First day, First Tournament!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » First day, First Tournament!!
KeNn
11/21/07 8:59:34PM
Okay boys, today was my first day of BJJ/MMA.
I have 2 years of boxing behind my belt, but I realized today that won't help me in BJJ.

Now my trainer said theres a tournament at the end of January, would it be worth me to train 6-7 days a week for this tournament?

OR is it just too short notice for a guy with no previous Grappling experience?

ALSO I'm 185 very bad shape.
What would be a good weight to drop to before the tournament?

thanks for your time boys, I understand you get alot of these posts.
but I neeeed to know.

Ken

paddy260
11/21/07 9:27:32PM
mid 170s
KeNn
11/21/07 9:31:32PM
yeah but would it be worth training for the tournament even though I'd only have like 2months experience? in the white belt division.

and 170
that would put me in WW?
in 2months could i drop to LW??

postman
11/22/07 1:26:17AM
Yeah they have under a year divisions and if you put in 6-7 day a week you should have a good time. You are going to learn alot as far as how far along you are and what you need to do to be where you want to be
KeNn
11/22/07 7:28:56AM
perfect thanks.

any prefered training before a fight?
or a really good energy diet?
madmarck
11/23/07 8:19:54AM
it couldnt hurt to enter into a toruanment. worst case scenario you get subbed by the first guy. Least you get experience.
Dont be fooled by Whitebelts though.
Some schools dont hand out belts so quickly. I have heard stories of some white belts on the same level as brown belts in their divison
KeNn
11/23/07 5:24:54PM

Posted by madmarck

it couldnt hurt to enter into a toruanment. worst case scenario you get subbed by the first guy. Least you get experience.
Some schools dont hand out belts so quickly. I have heard stories of some white belts on the same level as brown belts in their divison

Yeah I read lots of these threads and such, and thats what I heard. I know my school doesn't give out the white belt for a year. lol !
madmarck
11/23/07 6:15:03PM

Posted by KeNn

Posted by madmarck

Yeah I read lots of these threads and such, and thats what I heard. I know my school doesn't give out the white belt for a year. lol !

Some of that may be a bit exgaggreated though. i did hear it coming from a white belt (real one not a sherdogger) but he had been around quite the while
KeNn
11/23/07 9:19:57PM
lol well this guy named James took me threw a bunch of techniques today, he gave me a quick run through.
is there anything i should be doing to prepare to this tournament?
like when im not training BJJ, whats the best conditioning for an at home excerise?

I skip for at least 15mins a day, and go for a run.
I punch the heavy bag for 15mins or 20mins depends on how i feel.
and I usually do about 75-100 crunches/sit ups.
is there anything I should take out?
or is there something I should add into my at home work out?

and anything else you guys have to add, thanks alot guys!
Ken
Believe-in-judo81
11/26/07 7:46:00AM
Definitely go for it man, train hard and drop to a more comfortable weight and just go have a blast. A long as you go in there with a level head and a good attitude you will do nothing but learn from it. Also, a few pieces of advice:

1. If you get caught in something and it's locked in rock solid tight, tap and go home, at this early of a stage in your grappling there is no point in risking an injury, just studied what you did wrong and come back better next time.

2. Bring plenty of bottled water and some good energy food ( Granola or power bars, banannas, that sort of deal) you will more than likely be sitting around alot and you need to stay well hydrated and keep your energy level up.

3. Come up with a good strecthing regimen, and do it for fifteen minutes 2-3 times a day. (I do mine after I wake up, pre roadwork, and before bed) Also, if you have a yoga studio in the area and can afford it look into yoga classes a few times a week. It sounds a little goofy, but it will help with your flexibilty and breathing control, with are very valuable indeed in a grappling tournament.

Again, best of luck man, and stick with it. As Renzo Gracie said, "fighting is actually one of the best things a man can have in his soul."
KeNn
11/26/07 10:03:10AM
Thanks dude, that was actually really motivating.