I have my first breaking news

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » I have my first breaking news
johny_rotten
9/17/07 7:47:43PM
I train with CNYMMA. They have confirmed their fighter Tamden McCory who is 1-0 in the UFC will be fighting at UFC 78 against Pride vet Akihiro Ghono(sp?)
sakurabaforever
9/17/07 7:53:39PM
Really? That's awesome. Gono is great to watch, can't wait to see him in the UFC and start wrecking people.
babalu2720
9/17/07 7:54:53PM
Wow i never heard that Gono even signed with the UFC...doesn't Gono fight at 185 and Tamden fight at 170....I hop it is true because this would be a good fight. If this turn out to be tru you will definetly get props from me
Copenhagen
9/17/07 7:55:56PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I train with CNYMMA. They have confirmed their fighter Tamden McCory who is 1-0 in the UFC will be fighting at UFC 78 against Pride vet Akihiro Ghono(sp?)

*Tamden McCrory*

Good news, I've been waiting to see him fight in the UFC again. I like his "I look like a geek, but I can still fight" persona.
buryyourdead
9/17/07 9:11:19PM
Gono was fun to watch. Especially when he fought Shogun.
johny_rotten
9/17/07 9:52:40PM

Posted by babalu2720

Wow i never heard that Gono even signed with the UFC...doesn't Gono fight at 185 and Tamden fight at 170....I hop it is true because this would be a good fight. If this turn out to be tru you will definetly get props from me

Yes it is at 170. Apparently Joe Silva brought up two names both Pride vets. He wouldn't tell me last week who they were before the fight was offererd, but he said both have fought 2 UFC champs, and a crap load of fights. The only other guy around his weight I could think of was Sakurai. His manager told me today it was Gono. Tamden is teaching class on Wednesday, so maybe I will have more info.
loonytnt
9/17/07 11:37:57PM
congrets on your first breakin news its good news i cant wait to see this fight
gspgnp
9/18/07 8:59:05AM
man if this turns out to be true, I'm definitly giving you props man
CornishMMA
9/18/07 9:50:54AM

Tamden had been rumored for 78 for a while now but not against Gono! wow cant wait to see entrances the yanks in the crowd totally not take to it

I was hoping Tamden would fight Lauzon in the battle of the geeks
CornishMMA
9/18/07 9:54:00AM
Just got this from WWW.MMAJUNKIE.COM

Tamdan “Barn Cat” McCrory (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC), a 20-year-old mixed-martial-arts prodigy, will likely return to the octagon to face PRIDE veteran Akihiro Gono (27-12-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 78.

The event takes place in the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. on Nov. 17.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the fight from McCrory’s manager, Ryan Ciotoli, who said the bout is all but finalized.

“He’ll (be at) UFC 78 if he accepts the fight, which I assume he will considering he has fought top guys his whole career,” Ciotoli.

The 6-foot-4, 170-pound McCory, a Cage Fury Fighting Championships vet who began competing professionally in June of last year, entered the UFC and was pitted against Pete Spratt, an opponent nearly twice his age. McCrory, though, used a second-round triangle choke to defeat “The Ultimate Fighter 4” cast member on the UFC Fight Night 10 undercard.

Prior to joining the UFC, McCrory had racked up six of his seven victories via knockout — four of them in the first round.

”(The UFC’s been) trying to get me on that card, being that I’m from the area and have a strong fan base in New Jersey,” McCory told us last month. The fighter lives in Cortland, N.Y.

Gono, a 13-year MMA veteran, had a long career fighting for Shooto, Pancrase and PRIDE.

Gono last competed at PRIDE Shockwave 2006 in December 2006 for a split-decision victory over Yuki Kondo.

The Japanese fighter, who’s known for elaborate ring entrances, has wins over notable Ivan Salaverry and Crosley Gracie, and losses to former UFC champ Matt Hughes, Mauricio Ru and recent PRIDE champ Dan Henderson.

So well done johnyrotten much props coming your way
johny_rotten
9/18/07 5:42:27PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Tamden had been rumored for 78 for a while now but not against Gono! wow cant wait to see entrances the yanks in the crowd totally not take to it

I was hoping Tamden would fight Lauzon in the battle of the geeks

Joe and Tamden actually have a relationship as friends. I don't know if it would prevent a fight, but Joe and his brother have come to Tamden's home gym to train, and Tamden spent a week in MA at their gym before he went up against Spratt.
Stickan
9/18/07 5:47:41PM
Wow great news. I can't weight to see Gono fighting the UFC. He's no world beater but he's exciting for sure!
adamal
9/19/07 11:20:28AM
Awesome I hadn't even heard Gono was in UFC either. But that rules can't wait to see him.