Who will be the first to beat Anderson Sliva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who will be the first to beat Anderson Sliva?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
mkiv9secsupra
8/24/08 6:36:34AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by gravy13

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Ryo Chonan....perfect style...decent striker, able to take anderson down, and better than anderson on the ground......if Maia spent some time with a decent kickboxing coach then he should beat Anderson

and chonan already beat him in pride. it was with a flyin scissor heel hook. it was friggin insane.

That was a long time ago.....Ryo could not even hang with Silva now, IMO.....Of course. Silva would dismantle him these days.

Ya thats true. And when it happened it was out of no where. Silva was dominating the fight and chonan got lucky

Actually Chonan dominated Silva. Chonan landed lots of overhand rights and takedowns and completely out grappled Silva on the mat
SpiderSilva
8/24/08 2:14:20PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by balack_o-bama

The only man who can beat Spider Silva is.....Spider Silva.

I don't think anyone at MW would beat him. I think he'd beat Hendo again and I truly think he would dismantle Wandy. He would pick him apart.

At Light Heavy.

Forrest - May have a chance but a small one.

Thiago Silva - No.

Machida - Training partners, wont happen.

Liddell - I dont think he'd be landing any bombs on the elusive Spider. But I could be wrong. This would be a tough fight for him.

Rashad - I think Rashad would get mamed.

I don't know how I got brought into this but Anderson Silva would kick my a$$

not sure if your being sarcastic but i think he meant anderson can only beat himself, as in mentally.

really? glad you noticed that it was a joke
cowcatcher
8/24/08 2:30:53PM
filho, the guy needs to show that he has gotten his issues straightened out and have a good showing against sonnen, but he is strong as a bull and if he weathers the initial strikes and gets inside he can get the takedown and wear anderson out on the mat. getting close to the spider without getting caught on the way in or caught in a thai clinch is the key though, and could make the difference for a number of guys like hendo, marquardt, and maia. everyone seems to have hopped off of the filho wagon since his subpar fight with sonnen, but with a strong performance he can reinvent himself as a top tier MW in a lot of peoples eyes again, and with a ufc/wec merger on the horizon im hoping that this match can happen despite the ties these two have.
jiujitsufreak74
8/24/08 4:02:37PM
Dan Henderson...he is the not only the first but the only one who i believe can. Filho is way overrated and he won't be able to stand with Anderson or get an opportunity to take it to the ground. The newly acquired JJ guys imo are not adapted to MMA enough to last long enough on the feet to get it to there world and Rich Franklin just can't seem to beat him. Okami does not match well with Silva and he got really lucky that Silva was DQed. Henderson is the only one who matches up well with Silva and i think he is the only one who can do it. if he fights the way he did in the first round then he can get the win. i don't have that kind of confidence with any other MW.
Pitbull09
8/24/08 4:12:39PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Dan Henderson...he is the not only the first but the only one who i believe can. Filho is way overrated and he won't be able to stand with Anderson or get an opportunity to take it to the ground. The newly acquired JJ guys imo are not adapted to MMA enough to last long enough on the feet to get it to there world and Rich Franklin just can't seem to beat him. Okami does not match well with Silva and he got really lucky that Silva was DQed. Henderson is the only one who matches up well with Silva and i think he is the only one who can do it. if he fights the way he did in the first round then he can get the win. i don't have that kind of confidence with any other MW.

Completely agree. Henderson did well in the first fight but got caught and it went bad from there. He can get Silva down and GnP in the rematch and win. The only reason I want Henderson at MW is so this rematch can happen.

Filho is prob the most overrated fighter in the WW division right now. He is ranked as #3 in the world on here and he is having trouble holding his WEC title. Come on.
balack_o-bama
8/24/08 6:07:42PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by balack_o-bama

I don't think anyone at MW would beat him. I think he'd beat Hendo again and I truly think he would dismantle Wandy. He would pick him apart.

At Light Heavy.

Thiago Silva - No.

Liddell - I dont think he'd be landing any bombs on the elusive Spider. But I could be wrong. This would be a tough fight for him.

not sure if your being sarcastic but i think he meant anderson can only beat himself, as in mentally.

Yes, you are correct. If he stays focused.

However, I like your AV and screen name.
SpiderSilva
8/24/08 7:16:56PM
Thanks bro
MikeyG
8/24/08 7:50:33PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by balack_o-bama

At Light Heavy.

Thiago Silva - No.

really? glad you noticed that it was a joke

Is the constant sarcasm suppose to be funny?
haggiswashere
8/24/08 9:07:32PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by gravy13

Posted by haggiswashere

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Ryo Chonan....perfect style...decent striker, able to take anderson down, and better than anderson on the ground......if Maia spent some time with a decent kickboxing coach then he should beat Anderson

and chonan already beat him in pride. it was with a flyin scissor heel hook. it was friggin insane.

That was a long time ago.....Ryo could not even hang with Silva now, IMO.....Of course. Silva would dismantle him these days.

Ya thats true. And when it happened it was out of no where. Silva was dominating the fight and chonan got lucky

Actually Chonan dominated Silva. Chonan landed lots of overhand rights and takedowns and completely out grappled Silva on the mat

What fight were you watching?! Silva beat him in the standup and on the mat. Watch the fight everyone and tell me chonan dominated. Silva had his back for a good two minutes. Instead of trying to be a know it all try doing some friggin research.
haggiswashere
8/24/08 9:09:56PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Completely agree. Henderson did well in the first fight but got caught and it went bad from there. He can get Silva down and GnP in the rematch and win. The only reason I want Henderson at MW is so this rematch can happen.

Filho is prob the most overrated fighter in the WW division right now. He is ranked as #3 in the world on here and he is having trouble holding his WEC title. Come on.

for real. i agree. Im tired of hearing about Filho
jiujitsufreak74
8/24/08 9:11:06PM

Posted by haggiswashere
What fight were you watching?! Silva beat him in the standup and on the mat. Watch the fight everyone and tell me chonan dominated. Silva had his back for a good two minutes. Instead of trying to be a know it all try doing some friggin research.

imo, Chonan was winning the fight up until that point. it wasn't dominating, but e was winning. it was very close up until the finish but i would give the edge to Chonan.
StriderXero
8/24/08 10:39:32PM
Hendo IMO.....

I dont like people calling Anderson unstoppable. They said the same about Chuck after beating Tito and Randy twice. You all saw what happenned. Even Anderson believes he'll be beat again.
mkiv9secsupra
8/24/08 10:52:30PM

Posted by haggiswashere

The first sign to tell if someone doesnt know what they are talking about is defensiveness and namecalling.....Instead of getting aggressive tell me how Silva dominated Chonan? Back control for two minutes isnt near domination.
SpiderSilva
8/24/08 10:57:44PM
haggiswashere
8/24/08 11:30:59PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by haggiswashere

The first sign to tell if someone doesnt know what they are talking about is defensiveness and namecalling.....Instead of getting aggressive tell me how Silva dominated Chonan? Back control for two minutes isnt near domination.

Like i said he beat him in the standup. He had his back like i said and when chonan got in silva's guard he did next to no damge to silva. when they stood up again siva whooped on him for a while til chonan pulled a desperate submission on him. I'm telling you watch it and you'll see. your turn bud.
gsquat
8/25/08 10:23:10AM
Many believe, including me, that Silva was on his way to winning a decision against Chonan. It was kinda close, but Chonan was, in no way, "dominating" Silva.

As for (middleweight) fighters who could beat Silva.... (now keep in mind this is COULD beat Silva... not would. That means they have the tools.)

Bisping... The only way I see him winning is a grinding 5 round battle. We know he has the endurance, but can he avoid being ko'd and submitted.

Hendo... Obviously he can win rounds against Anderson, but with as much time as he likes to spend on the ground, it only a matter of time before he gets caught again.

If Wandy dropped weight... maybe. But he's easier to prepare for than the other two. You know what he's gonna do in a fight.

Really nobody other than that. I see a lot of people beating him at LHW. Thats why I didn't list them. I guess Okami is the type I could see landing a wild shot that puts him away, but thats about it.

gartface
8/25/08 10:47:39AM
Gegard Mousasi might give him some trouble. Manhoef would have a great punchers chance. If they give Hendo another shot it'd be a completely different fight. Okami could give him some trouble with his strength.

But at this juncture I don't think anyone can beat Anderson at any facet of the game.
gsquat
8/25/08 11:19:03AM

Posted by gartface

Gegard Mousasi might give him some trouble. Manhoef would have a great punchers chance. If they give Hendo another shot it'd be a completely different fight. Okami could give him some trouble with his strength.

But at this juncture I don't think anyone can beat Anderson at any facet of the game.

Yeah. I guess I wasn't really thinking outside the UFC. In that case Cung Le would beat him on the feet, as well as Manhoef. Maia might be able to outclass him on the ground, but getting him there would be a huge undertaking.
jiujitsufreak74
8/25/08 5:51:48PM
Bisping would have no shot. he isn't powerful enough to grind Silva out for 5 rounds and his stand-up is not good enough to even hang around with Silva for that long. his ground game is also not on Anderson's level and Bisping has a disadvantage anywhere the fight goes.

Melvin is a great striker, but he is just too short. i don't think he would be able to get inside on Silva to land his shots while Silva picks him apart like he does to most other fighters. his fight with Rodney Faverus shows signs that he would struggle with Silva on the feet.

Gregard is a great talent and he is on his way to being a top MW. he is very well rounded and he has the skills to beat most fighters. i would like to see how he fares in the Semis/Finals of the MW GP before i can say he would have a legitimate chance to beat Anderson.

i already touched on why i don;t think the JJ guys could beat Anderson (Jacare, Maia, Palhares)

so if you really look at it, Hendo is the only one who i would say has more than just a punchers chance against Silva
ncordless
8/25/08 6:03:26PM
Luiz Azeredo
jgtribbett
8/25/08 7:02:18PM
i would say, maybe okami.. cause i'm starting to believe that japanese only fight hard enough to put on a show and have more tricks up their sleeves haha (jk) but okami maybe..but more likly someone we wouldnt expect. that is my guess
jawbreaker517
8/25/08 7:41:39PM
I think no one at MW, and like to see him fight Hendo at LHW considering Hendo said that he feels more durable at 205.
Rush
8/25/08 8:11:29PM
I didn't read the posts in this thread so forgive me if it has been said, but (without mentioning names) the guy I think that will be the one to beat Silva will have a strong clinch and heavy hands from the clinch. Anderson needs to be thrown off his game and his clinch is his bread and butter. In MMA, I have found that you beat fighters by beating them at their strengths.

For example. I think Chuck did so well against wrestlers because he was a great wrestler, not because he was a great striker.
cj_striker
8/25/08 10:44:13PM
As was stated numerous times and for good reason, Hendo has the best chance at MW. I personally believe in the rematch (if we are blessed with it) Hendo will take it. I think Almeida and Maia would have a great chance IF they focused on their standup game enough to where they could last long enough to take the fight to the ground, but that's a big IF. Anderson is an incredible fighter and I have lots of respect for him, but the people on this thread that are saying he is unbeatable and he could take anyone at LHW, you guys are just insane. As postman said and I have also said in other threads, it seems like Anderson is starting to slightly pull a Rampage or GSP before he lost to Serra (fighters who start believing all the hype about theirself and lose focus). But I feel the true test to this will be Anderson's next fight against Cote. Explanation: Everyone agrees that Anderson is a better all around fighter than Cote, and with that being said the only way Cote has a chance to win that fight at all is by connecting with a well timed shot on the button (it probably won't happen, but I have seen more insane things happen inside the cage than that). So the point is that if Anderson wants to really leave no chance of Cote winning this fight, he would take the fight to the ground and sub him pretty quickly ( i know people will say, oh well Almeida couldn't sub Cote, but Anderson is a different animal in the fact that he would gnp the crap out of Cote to open up a quick sub. So if I see Anderson come out in bang with Cote, I definitely see the Spider being beaten sooner than people think, just for the simple fact of Anderson beating himself with bad decision making.
loller90278
8/26/08 4:02:13AM
MW: Henderson, Jacare, Filho
LHW: Machida, Shogun, Lil Nog
gartface
8/26/08 9:03:22AM

Posted by loller90278

MW: Henderson, Jacare, Filho
LHW: Machida, Shogun, Lil Nog

I agree with all but Jacare...the guy is still a baby in MMA. He'd get destroyed in the first minute or so on the feet.
cowcatcher
8/26/08 10:25:55AM
im shocked that so many people are still down on filho, but ive come to expect this from internet mma fans, you have one bad showing and everyone is off your bandwagon, come back and win a big fight convincingly and your nuts get crowded again. a year or so ago this guy was the hottest mw on the planet but a ton of people hadnt seen him fight, now that hes had 2 fights that people have seen hes suddenly overrated. listen, the guy isnt flashy or incredibly exciting to some, and if he doesnt get that armbar its going to a decision more often than not, but he finds a way to win a la nate diaz(for those of you that know TUF and little else). hes 16-0 for a reason, and he has a shot against silva, but like everyone else its a slim one.
Tein_Lung
8/26/08 1:57:54PM
honeslty i don't see anyone other then then Rich actually having all teh tools needed to but Silva knows exactly how to beat Rich
mkiv9secsupra
8/26/08 2:06:26PM
After i thought about it....Ninja Rua has the tools to beat Anderson. Hes got a great chin and can take Silva down without getting punished too bad and can control and bully Silva on the ground. The only problem is his cardio might not be up to the task of a 5 rounder, but if it was id pick Murilo to beat Silva via UD
emfleek
8/26/08 2:21:30PM
******** BREAKING NEWS **********

I'm proud to announce that I, emfleek, will be dropping down 9 weight classes to fight, and ultimately destroy, Anderson Silva. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my sponsors, Little Debbie, Nabisco, Frank's Red Hot, White Castle and Geno's Cheesesteak. Mmm cheesesteak.

******** Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...********
Pages: 1 [2] 3