firefighter arrested for fighting (but not fires)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » firefighter arrested for fighting (but not fires)
voodoo-jitsu
4/11/12 12:35:17PM
Los Angeles firefighter Raphael Davis was arrested for suspicion of insurance fraud after investigators noticed he competed in seven MMA bouts while out on workman's compensation. L.A. Weekly reported that he could see up to five years in jail if he is convicted.

link
Wallass
4/11/12 3:35:33PM
Damn! In this "Big Brother" day and age you can't avoid anything.
KungFuMaster
4/16/12 4:22:42PM
I don't think there is anything in the books that say you cannot hold down two jobs - which is what I think this guy is doing.
cowcatcher
4/16/12 10:59:19PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

I don't think there is anything in the books that say you cannot hold down two jobs - which is what I think this guy is doing.

When you are getting workers comp for one and the other job is cagefighting I think it goes beyond holding down two jobs.
Adrenaline
4/17/12 7:44:42AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by KungFuMaster

When you are getting workers comp for one and the other job is cagefighting I think it goes beyond holding down two jobs.

Workers compensation insurance is for people who are injured (on the job) and said injury prevents them from continuing to work. I think its fairly obvious that if you are stepping into a cage for a little hand to hand combat that you are not really injured and should probably A)stop making benefit claims and B) get your happy ass back to work or C) quit your job and stop ripping off your employer.

KungFuMaster
4/17/12 6:58:04PM
I agree he is cheating the system.

In order for him to be awarded worker's comp, a doctor has to approve the disability.

What I'm getting at is - nothing says he cannot hold another job. Who is to say you cannot be a fighter if you are injured?

Do I think he is a scum? Yes.

Did he act within his rights? That is tough to answer and it all depends on what was said on the contracts when he agreed to be a firefighter. Some employers, although it is not stated word for word, require their employees to be only responsible for them and only them. If this firefighter signed something which states he could not be liable to another employer, then there is definitely a case here. However, if this firefighter disclosed information regarding mma fighting upon being hired as a firefighter, then there may not be a case here.
ncordless
4/17/12 8:31:58PM
Sounds fishy, but it really depends on what the work injury was.

If he was out because he was experiencing PTSD or some other type of anxiety disorder caused by his work as a firefighter, I don't see why that would keep him out of an MMA competition. Say for instance that the guy watched someone die in a fire and has PTSD. That might prevent him from being a firefighter, but it wouldn't pertain to being an mma fighter necessarily. If it is a purely physical disability, then I can't think of a condition that would restrict him from firefighting but not from MMA.
Adrenaline
4/18/12 7:39:13AM

Posted by ncordless

If he was out because he was experiencing PTSD or some other type of anxiety disorder caused by his work as a firefighter, I don't see why that would keep him out of an MMA competition. Say for instance that the guy watched someone die in a fire and has PTSD. That might prevent him from being a firefighter, but it wouldn't pertain to being an mma fighter necessarily. If it is a purely physical disability, then I can't think of a condition that would restrict him from firefighting but not from MMA.

Very interesting take on it, that thought hadn't occurred to me. I doubt its the case but still a different perspective.
prophecy033
4/19/12 12:20:29AM

Posted by ncordless

i was just about to say the same thing. if hes claiming workman's comp because of a bad back but then goes out and fights then its pretty obvious hes full of shit. since he got arrested i feel it is probably something along those lines