Firas Zahabi: Georges St. Pierre’s Training Camps Not Sustainable

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Firas Zahabi: Georges St. Pierre’s Training Camps Not Sustainable
Bubbles
3/25/13 4:00:36PM
Trainer Firas Zahabi has been with Georges St. Pierre for years.

He knows how hard the UFC welterweight champion works, and in a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show, Zahabi explained why GSP’s preparation can’t be sustained for several more years of competition.

The trainer also discussed the use of the jab in MMA and more.

On whether St. Pierre is less likely than other champs to be fighting when he’s 35: “I think so because his training camps are not sustainable forever. His training camps are very difficult. I’ve done a lot of training camps. I could tell you the energy, time and money and hours spent doing a GSP training camp is ridiculous. It’s borderline insane. There’s a lot of effort going into preparing him for his fights. Can he live this lifestyle for another four or five years? I don’t know. Because it’s not a balanced lifestyle. It’s not a balanced lifestyle for him.

“He’s giving up a lot of free time and leisure time and experiences he could be having in life to maintain his title, to maintain this excellence. It’s a difficult thing to do. He’s going to have to make that choice one fight at a time. Does he want to go through another training camp? Right now at this time, yes, for sure. There’s no doubt in my mind he wants to do another one, but down the line, two or three more training camps, is he still going to want to do it? That’s up to him. Does he still have the fire and the passion? We’ll see.”

more here