Firas Zahabi: 'I'd Want Georges St. Pierre to Move Down to 155'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Firas Zahabi: 'I'd Want Georges St. Pierre to Move Down to 155'
FastKnockout
10/25/11 12:56:23PM
Tri-Star trainer Firas Zahabi was a guest on Beatdown radio with T.J. De Santis and Jon Luther of Sherdog yesterday, and had some very interesting things regarding his star pupil Georges St. Pierre changing weight classes. They started off asking Firas about what would be required for GSP to move to middleweight, and he threw them for a loop with his answer. He said that he actually recommends that St. Pierre should move down to 155, not up to 185 (starts around the 88 minute mark):

"Well to be honest with you, I have recommended to Georges, you know...the only reason I don't recommend it now is because Frankie Edgar is the champion, but I'd want him to move down to 155 if Frankie was not the champion. Obviously we're part of the Renzo Gracie team and we'd never fight Frankie Edgar, because obviously we're all Renzo Gracie fighters. But if it wasn't the case, you know, I'd rather him go down to 155 because Georges is not a very big welterweight. People might think he is, he's actually not very big. And him making 170 is extremely easy for him.

LINK
KungFuMaster
10/25/11 1:13:01PM
GSP would have to lose an arm and a leg to make 155. He is one of the biggest 170 pounders in his division. If anything, he should move up.
FastKnockout
10/25/11 1:16:14PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

GSP would have to lose an arm and a leg to make 155. He is one of the biggest 170 pounders in his division. If anything, he should move up.

Not according to Zahabi.

"Georges' body type, he's actually ectomorph, he's very lean. He doesn't put on a lot of muscle unless we make do a lot of lifting, and I do make him do a lot of lifting. That's one of the reasons why I wanted him to start doing Olympic lifting, and just a high volume of weightlifting is what will keep him muscular. Because Georges doesn't really put on fat and muscle very easily, and I really think he could lose a little bit of muscle. He doesn't have much fat on him, and a lot of water and a lot of electrolytes. Just doing the weight cut from like 175, he would make it down to 155 quite easily."

He also mentioned that St. Pierre was weighing in camp, which is a lot lower than expected:

"Right now for this camp, he's been around 183 or 184, and that's before workouts. That's because we've been doing more gymnastics and less weightlifting."
Manak
10/25/11 1:17:14PM
GSP is just the prefect body for 170 though, he is too small for 185 n too big for 155 but at 170 he has size, height, reach, along with speed n strength. He wont be the same at other weight classes.

but if he had too then 185 would be safe and healthier in his body then 155
finnish_line
10/25/11 1:27:12PM
I thought GSP didn't want to do 20+ pound weight cuts because its not good for your kidneys.
Chael_Sonnen
10/25/11 1:30:53PM
Hey, if it makes him less boring, I say go for it
prophecy033
10/25/11 1:34:57PM
I never thought about GSP at Lightweight. It would seem that it would be a drastic cut but I actually like that idea more then a move to Middleweight. Sure he might lose some speed but he will still be fast. He would have the strength advantage against most opponents. Just look at Rumble Johnson cutting down from close to 200 lbs and tell me GSP couldn't cut down to 155
Travesty145
10/25/11 2:18:32PM
nobody at 170 can beat gsp. imagine how much worse itd be at 155
postman
10/25/11 2:24:26PM

Posted by Travesty145

nobody at 170 can beat gsp.

So why leave? Its not his job to lose its his job to win and thats it. He is as close to unbeatable at 170 as you can be I think everyone wanting him to move up or down is crazy talk.

Edit:
I would like to see him fight Anderson I will admit
KungFuMaster
10/25/11 2:46:25PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by KungFuMaster

Not according to Zahabi.

"Georges' body type, he's actually ectomorph, he's very lean. He doesn't put on a lot of muscle unless we make do a lot of lifting, and I do make him do a lot of lifting. That's one of the reasons why I wanted him to start doing Olympic lifting, and just a high volume of weightlifting is what will keep him muscular. Because Georges doesn't really put on fat and muscle very easily, and I really think he could lose a little bit of muscle. He doesn't have much fat on him, and a lot of water and a lot of electrolytes. Just doing the weight cut from like 175, he would make it down to 155 quite easily."

He also mentioned that St. Pierre was weighing in camp, which is a lot lower than expected:

"Right now for this camp, he's been around 183 or 184, and that's before workouts. That's because we've been doing more gymnastics and less weightlifting."

That is my whole point. GSP is lean and has very little body fat which would make the move to 155 that much more difficult. If he was an average guy who weighs 183 lbls and has 4 - 10 percent body fat, then yes - the move to 155 could be a possibility.

GSP has a similar build like Aldo. They are both genetically strong and have lean muscular physiques without having to lift weights. Ask Aldo if he should consider moving down to 135. He won't because his natural body type will not allow it and so is GSP's. These two have very little body fat to spare.

The only reason GSP is still at 170 is because of hard work and dedication to diet and training. Otherwise, he would be at 185 already.
Pookie
10/25/11 4:49:52PM

Georges has been getting better at cutting weight. He’s walking around at 194 (pounds). There was a time when he used to walk around at 180 to make 170. He cuts weight so easily we added more muscle. Now he’s on a protein and vegetable diet. Right now his exercise is significantly cut, but he’s going to shed water. It’s only temporary weight loss. It’s not real weight loss. You’re not dropping fat. (The final weight-cut) lasts about six days . . . By Friday he’ll have six or seven pounds left and we’ll put him in the sauna. I don’t recommend this to anybody, even professional athletes. This is somebody who’s very seasoned. As soon as the weigh-in is done (Friday afternoon) we’ll give him a recovery drink. We’ll even give him Prime (a workout supplement by Gatorade, which sponsors St-Pierre) because he needs the carbohydrates that much more . . . he’ll enter the ring at 192 or 193 pounds."

- Firas Zahabi
Dberntson
10/25/11 5:41:03PM
Fighters usually cut weight when they cant win the title or just win to keep their job. Just ask Penn, Florian or Tyson Griffin. GSP does not have either of those problems at 170. There is no reason for him to cut that much weight. Rumble does it, but he is not consistent. I dont think GSP needs to worry about a title at 155 in order to secure his legacy and personally I would rather see him fight Anderson then Frankie. I dont think anyone at 155 would stand a chance.
quezocrema0032
10/25/11 5:48:11PM
Ill prob get flammed by the gsp lovers here but the only person I see beating gsp at 155 is gray maynard. I wouldn't pick him but stylistically he is the best wrestler in the division so I doubt even the great gsp could hold him down. & standing he deff has the power to hurt gsp. If edgar loses his title soon I'd love to sere this fight. Welterweight has grown dull
Chael_Sonnen
10/25/11 6:45:42PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

Ill prob get flammed by the gsp lovers here but the only person I see beating gsp at 155 is gray maynard. I wouldn't pick him but stylistically he is the best wrestler in the division so I doubt even the great gsp could hold him down. & standing he deff has the power to hurt gsp. If edgar loses his title soon I'd love to sere this fight. Welterweight has grown dull

Gray would fade due to weak cardio....GSP would outlast him, at the very least.
ghandikush
10/26/11 2:57:26AM
I think GSPs cardio would be shit at that cut.
quezocrema0032
10/26/11 11:49:16AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by quezocrema0032

Gray would fade due to weak cardio....GSP would outlast him, at the very least.

Grays cardio isn't bad o_0. He went 8 straight fights to the judges before his title fight. Gray only gassed in the 2nd round of the 2nd edgar fight. He didnt gas in the 3rd fight, and to say thats why Edgar made a comeback is a discredit to frankie. Not saying I would pick Gray but hes the light weight with the greatest chance to upset gsp
Playground_Samurai
10/26/11 11:57:25AM

Posted by KungFuMaster
Ask Aldo if he should consider moving down to 135. He won't because his natural body type will not allow it and so is GSP's. These two have very little body fat to spare.

Aldo has said he is interested in super fights at 135. Also, before he was champ, he was going to cut to 135 if his teammate Wagney Fabiano had got a shot first and won the title.
KungFuMaster
10/26/11 1:09:41PM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Posted by KungFuMaster
Ask Aldo if he should consider moving down to 135. He won't because his natural body type will not allow it and so is GSP's. These two have very little body fat to spare.

Aldo has said he is interested in super fights at 135. Also, before he was champ, he was going to cut to 135 if his teammate Wagney Fabiano had got a shot first and won the title.

That was then, this is now >>>and recently Aldo has made the announcement that he will inevitably move to 155. I don't think the decision to move up is by choice. He is a growing boy and is only getting bigger. I give him no more than three fights before he has to move.
prozacnation1978
10/26/11 4:48:12PM
He wouldn't make 155 no way
DeadHead988
10/26/11 11:44:49PM
Firas Zahabi is spewing some major bs. There's no way that would be possible. Even if he did, the only thing it would prove is that Georges is scared shitless of Anderson.