need help finding a band

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » need help finding a band
cmill21
3/19/09 7:02:44PM
Heard a band on the radio, it was exilis or something close to that. Hard rock type music, I can't remember any of the words to the song lol, if anyone can tell me what band it might be there are props in it for you.
bojangalz
3/19/09 7:45:39PM
cmill21
3/19/09 8:23:23PM
YES! Props are coming your way as soon as I spread the love.
bojangalz
3/19/09 8:30:24PM
No worries bro. btw- what song was it that you heard?

cmill21
3/19/09 11:59:55PM

Posted by bojangalz

These are the days. Best song I've heard in a while. I love bands when they're smaller, I started listening to disturbed, Breaking Benjamin and Crossfade when they were all unknowns.
bojangalz
3/20/09 3:40:54AM
Yeah, I've been more into new rock for the last year or so...Converting from classic rock. I'm starting to realize that classic rock will always be there if I need to go back- It's not exaclty going to change suddenly on me, or disappear for that matter.

The real problem was that I didn't have any good FM stations in my area. I've got XM/Sirius in my squad car now. I'm basically splitting tim between MMA podcasts on the iPod, and Octane (XM station) now. I like the Exies sound, but I haven't taken the time to get fully into an album yet. Some of the bands that I've started to enjoy over the past year or so are Black Stone Cherry, Shinedown, Atreyu, Linkin Park (I know, I'm a little behind the times), and some Theory of a Deadman (although some of their stuff makes me want to puke just the same). I'm also hoping the new Papa Roach album is decent. I'm also finding that I enjoy Papa Roach quite a bit, I'm looking forward to their new album. Hollywood Whore and Lifeline are pretty strong pre-release singles.
hippysmacker
3/20/09 6:33:17AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by bojangalz

These are the days. Best song I've heard in a while. I love bands when they're smaller, I started listening to disturbed, Breaking Benjamin and Crossfade when they were all unknowns.

I got curious and listened to it on youtube, not bad. They sound a whole lot like Skillet, except the backup singers with Skilet are better IMO.

Skillet video
another skillet video
Jackelope
3/20/09 10:32:22AM

Posted by bojangalz

Yeah, I've been more into new rock for the last year or so...Converting from classic rock. I'm starting to realize that classic rock will always be there if I need to go back- It's not exaclty going to change suddenly on me, or disappear for that matter.

The real problem was that I didn't have any good FM stations in my area. I've got XM/Sirius in my squad car now. I'm basically splitting tim between MMA podcasts on the iPod, and Octane (XM station) now. I like the Exies sound, but I haven't taken the time to get fully into an album yet. Some of the bands that I've started to enjoy over the past year or so are Black Stone Cherry, Shinedown, Atreyu, Linkin Park (I know, I'm a little behind the times), and some Theory of a Deadman (although some of their stuff makes me want to puke just the same). I'm also hoping the new Papa Roach album is decent. I'm also finding that I enjoy Papa Roach quite a bit, I'm looking forward to their new album. Hollywood Whore and Lifeline are pretty strong pre-release singles.

You should check out some Avenged Sevenfold, too. I wasn't too hot on them at first, but the more you listen to their stuff the more their drummer amazes me. I dunno, I'm still not too into them but I'm warming up pretty quickly.

I almost feel like the newer rock bands that are coming out are starting to get interesting again. Music has been pretty bland since the early 90's outside of a few good bands, but a lot of these new guys are doing some stuff that's starting to get my attention.

I hated that Avenged Sevenfold song "Scream" until I learned that they're singing about taking a girl's virginity. Now that I'm into the lyrics I sort of like the song. It's pretty twisted haha
EvenFlow
3/20/09 10:46:31AM

Posted by Jackelope

Music has been pretty bland since the early 90's outside of a few good bands

I disagree, I could turn you onto some great music from the early 90's til now, I'm only assuming but you like a mix of some different genres right (this includes mixing genres or unknown genres) or are you a hardcore fan of any particular genre(s)?
emfleek
3/20/09 10:48:09AM
I know you said you're more into "new" rock but you seem like a rather open-minded person when it comes to music so...

Check out some of these bands...

Left Lane Cruiser
Bob Log III
Scott H. Biram
Two Man Gentleman Band
The Monads
American Relay
The Black Keys
Black Diamond Heavies
Clutch
Clem Snide
Eef Barzelay
William Elliott Whitmore
Jackelope
3/20/09 11:22:12AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Jackelope

Music has been pretty bland since the early 90's outside of a few good bands

I disagree, I could turn you onto some great music from the early 90's til now, I'm only assuming but you like a mix of some different genres right (this includes mixing genres or unknown genres) or are you a hardcore fan of any particular genre(s)?

Sure, I'm down with hearing about any new great bands.

There's been a few good bands since the early 90's imo, but not exactly a myriad of(that I know of) good new bands like there was back then.

I like all kinds of music, literally. I don't think there's a genre of music that I would be against listening to honestly.
EvenFlow
3/20/09 1:23:29PM
Surely you mightve heard one or two of these groups Jack. I dont like trying to label genres and bands but I'll try. I've been to way too many freakin' shows and as a bonus I've gotten to meet tons of ppl in bands, different walks of life and to just see the world over the years. And I'm strictly only using newer bands from the 90s on.

Bassnectar ... Experimental instrumentals, seen them live, relaxing [Suggested Album: "Mesmerizing The Ultra"]

Bouncing Souls ... I've seen them 8 times, 4 of those were the best shows I've ever been to. Alternative.
[Suggested First Album: "How I Spent My Summer Vacation"]

Buckethead ... Easily rivels the best guitarists of all time, his style is very experiemental and unique, seen him live. [Suggested Album: "Funnel Weaver"]

Catch 22 ... (The "Keasby Nights" album only) seen them live. Ska.

Common Rider ... Jesse Michaels from Op. Ivy makes a new trio, more chill than the political in your face quattro from the late 80s.
[Suggested Album: "Last Wave Rockers"]

The Crystal Method ... Experiemental unclassified rhythm and bass.

Dropkick Murphys ... Drunk rock, idk. [Suggested Album: "Do Or Die"]

Eyedea & Abilities ... Lyricist [Eyedea] & DJ [Abilities] no longer a duo but made some of the most intelligent hip hop ever, seen them live. [Suggested Album: "E & A"]

Flogging Molly ... Celtic, idk. [Suggested Album: "Swagger"]

Less Than Jake ... Mostly Ska [Suggested Album: "Losing Streak"]

North Mississippi Allstars ... (The "Shake Hands With Shorty" album for sure) Unknown genre.

Pennywise ... Another A+ band to go see live, Alternative. [Suggested Album: Full Circle]

Pepper ... One of the best contemporaries for Sublime, a must hear, seen them live 5 times. [Suggested Album: "Kona Town"]

The Pietasters ... I've only seen them once but they put one of the best shows Ive ever seen, its like alternative ska experiemental. [Suggested Album: "Willis".. or the 1992-1996 box set of older songs]

Reverend Horton Heat ... Like Buckethead this guy is very experimental and unique, he will switch it from song to song, rockabilly is really only how I can describe but that dosnt really explain it, seen him live once. [Suggested Album: "Liquor In The Front" or "Holy Roller"

Sage Francis ... Like Eyedea he has some refreshing insight thru lyricism, some of which you might've never thought could be together to form a ballet of poetry, seen him twice live. [Suggested Album: "A Healthy Distrust"]

Silverchair ... contemporary of Nirvana, I find them to be way better. [Suggested Album: "Frogstomp"]

Slightly Stoopid ... Have seen them 11 times, they were deep in the trenches with Sublime back in the day so its hardly a contemporary. [Suggested Album: "Everything You Need"]

Stuck Mojo ... Experimental hard rock, check it out. [Suggested Album: "Rising"]

Time Again ... My buddy Elijah is in the band, coincidentally there are all my friends now, used to travel with em so I cant count how many Ive seen. Punk [Suggested Album: "Darker Days"]

Toothpick ... chill stuff, guy is good at acoustics too, seen him once. [Suggested Album: "Time Traveling Couch"]

Zilla ... experimental instrumentals, relaxing. [Suggested Album: "Zilla"]
cmill21
3/20/09 4:03:39PM

Posted by bojangalz

Linkin park is and always will be one of my all time favorites. Sevendust is a pretty good band as well, and saving able has a pretty good single(18 days). I could pretty much listen to any breaking benjamin song over and over and ot get sick of it. Hippy I really like skillet lol. I will try and check out as many of the bands that you guys listed as I can. Thanks for all the suggestions.
hippysmacker
3/20/09 6:40:17PM
Sweet bro. I'm glad you like em
bojangalz
3/20/09 9:40:20PM

Posted by Jackelope

You should check out some Avenged Sevenfold, too. I wasn't too hot on them at first, but the more you listen to their stuff the more their drummer amazes me. I dunno, I'm still not too into them but I'm warming up pretty quickly.

I almost feel like the newer rock bands that are coming out are starting to get interesting again. Music has been pretty bland since the early 90's outside of a few good bands, but a lot of these new guys are doing some stuff that's starting to get my attention.

I hated that Avenged Sevenfold song "Scream" until I learned that they're singing about taking a girl's virginity. Now that I'm into the lyrics I sort of like the song. It's pretty twisted haha

I know most of A7X's singles, though I haven't gotten into any albums yet. I actually just saw them with Papa Roach and Buckcherry just a few weeks ago. They were awesome live. Even the few songs I wasn't too familiar with I could get into. If I was a bigger fan, I'd say they stole the show, but it's Papa Roach was incredible too.

We left during Buckcherry. Their terrible, I was quite pleased that they were closing the show, that way we could beat the traffic. They stopped making good music in 1997.
postman
3/20/09 9:47:14PM
You guys should check out Strung Out, Lagwagon, No use for a name, Thrice, Unwritten law, Millencolin, Big Wig, The Bronx, Taking Back Sunday, Strike Anywhere, Silverstein,Senses Fail, Saves the day, Good Riddance, Finch, Aiden, Against me!, A day to remember. And since 2000 I think the best "Rock" (what ever that means) is Rise Against.