Finally...Vindication For Machida Fans

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Finally...Vindication For Machida Fans
Next Page »
warglory
2/1/09 2:27:41AM
I have been a Machida fan pretty much since he set foot in the UFC, and since then he has been overlooked and disregarded, and when he finally couldn't be overlooked anymore, he was disregarded as a boring fighter who ran away from competition. After tonight, I was so satisfied with Machida's complete annihilation of Silva that the resulting main event was merely the icing on the cake for me. This is the happiest I have been about a fight probably since GSP dominated Koscheck in his comeback match. I have only a few fighters I follow, and Machida is definitely at the top of the heap. Congrats to Machida and to all his fans!
burialchamber
2/1/09 2:37:28AM
It was an astonishing victory! I was so thrilled to see it. I thought he might get the KO, but I didn't expect it to be that spectacular.

Machida!!
gartface
2/1/09 2:37:36AM
Machida ftw!
haggiswashere
2/1/09 2:47:24AM
I will admit to probably giving machida more crap than anyone on this site. I have always said, finish a top ten and I will change my mind. So here I am, completely humbled. Wow is all I have to say. If he continues to fight like that then I would love to see him as champ.
Jackelope
2/1/09 2:49:35AM
I'm with you bro. Been saying for a while now that Machida's style is so far beyond many of the fighters out there. I just hope people start to UNDERSTAND how it works instead of just plainly hating. Really glad he got a solid stoppage in this one.

I think Rashad Evans actually matches up quite well against Machida based on handspeed and the fact that Machida holds his chin up. The one thing Machida does well to counter Evans is that he throws a lot of feints and he fakes punches with his eyes and head movements. Almost like "headfakes" you could say. Because Evans likes to use a lot of hand movement and slapping blocks I think he's susceptible to feints/headfakes, but we'll see. Machida is also extremely dangerous in the tie up with his trip takedowns, so that should negate the inside boxing Evans will want to use to keep Machida from working his outside game.

This is going to be a really exciting matchup when it happens. Hard to pick IMO, and that's coming from a bigtime Machida nuthugger
Bowen50
2/1/09 2:53:40AM
called the Machida round 1 KO a few days ago. outstanding job by Machida tonight
StorminYourman
2/1/09 3:24:49AM

Posted by Bowen50

called the Machida round 1 KO a few days ago. outstanding job by Machida tonight

nice job!

lohmann
2/1/09 3:29:01AM
Who walks out of this triangular mess at the top of the 205 division with the title?
gartface
2/1/09 3:35:22AM

Posted by lohmann

Who walks out of this triangular mess at the top of the 205 division with the title?

Lyoto, that's it.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/09 3:35:48AM
well this fight made me ecstatic for a few reasons:

1) Thiago Silva proved to everyone that he is as overrated as i have been saying he is. thank you Thiago for proving that you will wilt against any top 10 talent in the LHW division.

2) Machida proved that he is capable of being "exciting" to the fans who seem to have ADHD. who was the first finish of the night? Machida. who was the only 1st round finish of the night? Machida. Oh wait, isn't Machida that guy who is boring and runs away from his opponents? i don't know haters, you tell me

3) Dana, Rampage had his title run, let Machida go for the belt. he proved to you that he can be "exciting" and marketable...so let the man get his hard earned title shot already.
Dastardly1
2/1/09 3:55:40AM
Machida will beat Rashad. no one call deal with his sense of timing and distance. thats just years of tradition shotokan sparring.
loller90278
2/1/09 4:38:25AM
seriously, vindication! this was a match made in heaven for machida, a wild striker who chased after him. it was only a matter of time machida KO'd him. On the same note, it seems like T. silva's chin isn't that great. Sam Hogar said machida's punches were like mosquito bites, and silva got knocked out cold by one..
Aether
2/1/09 5:34:09AM
well... he was laying on the ground and Machida dove in with a massive overhand that hit him square in the face with his head pressed against the mat. I think that 98% of the LHW fighters in the world would've been KOed or very badly hurt by that punch. Maybe the punches that Hoger ate felt like moquito bites because they were mostly relatively light jabs combined with backwards lateral movement which would detract from their power.

You have to take the type of punch and the situation into account. That was a hard ass punch for anyone to take. I don't think he has a weak chin, he seems to have about an average one. He did eat quite a few pretty hard shots trying to push in throughout the round.

It's like I've been saying: The more aggressive you are against Machida the worse you get beat. Silva is super aggressive and he got hit super hard as a result. Guys like Hoger are not nearly as aggressive so they don't get hit nearly as much or as hard.
tylerlee123
2/1/09 7:56:30AM
Its nice to see Machida prevail with an awesome knock out, that was a hard shot !
seanfu
2/1/09 8:10:04AM
Thiago has a top notch chin. He ate power. But Anderson Silva knocked out Chris titanium nuts Leben in the first round by straight punches. Lyoto hits cleanly and effectively, which means much more than concussive loopy power. Thiago hit with a regular shot has an outstanding chin, hit on the button is quite a different story for anyone.

And the KO was done by a crazy ass diving punch that would take anyone out.

Thiago overrated? yes. Lyoto now overrated, not likely.
prozacnation1978
2/1/09 8:39:30AM
i was glad too machida earned his title shot
keith-hackney1
2/1/09 9:23:03AM
Hackney has been saying Machida is an unstoppable force for along time. I told y'al Lyoto can finnish fights. If you look at the stats, rashad evans- from first ufc fight with brad imes, to his decision win over bisping taking away his draw with ortiz, he finished two opponents with 4 unan dec wins just like the unstoppable Machida. Doesn't mean Lyoto is a boring fighter. In 6 fights against the likes of sokoudjou, ortiz and now silva, Machida has taken barely any damage and started this impressive 6 fight win streek in the run run up to his title shot. He will be crowned king this year at last.
State_Champ
2/1/09 9:27:12AM
I have alway thought Machida was a boring fighter, but in the days approaching UFC 94 my mind changed a bit. When Lyoto knocked out Thiago Silva my mind changed completely. I appreciate Machida's abitlity to avoid hits and to finish his opponents.
Hope he gets to fight Rashad.
WAR MACHIDA
4u2nv
2/1/09 9:50:14AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well this fight made me ecstatic for a few reasons:

1) Thiago Silva proved to everyone that he is as overrated as i have been saying he is. thank you Thiago for proving that you will wilt against any top 10 talent in the LHW division.

2) Machida proved that he is capable of being "exciting" to the fans who seem to have ADHD. who was the first finish of the night? Machida. who was the only 1st round finish of the night? Machida. Oh wait, isn't Machida that guy who is boring and runs away from his opponents? i don't know haters, you tell me

3) Dana, Rampage had his title run, let Machida go for the belt. he proved to you that he can be "exciting" and marketable...so let the man get his hard earned title shot already.

Said perfectly about last night! I think Machida should get his chance at the belt and Page needs to run through some more people.
mkiv9secsupra
2/1/09 9:52:35AM
If Machida fights like that against Evans it'll be a great fight....BUT i still think Rashad KO's him late.
postman
2/1/09 10:06:49AM
Machida is what the UFC needs, He is a guy that can win the belt and hold on to it for more then 1 or 2 fights. The casual fans need some one to be familar with like Chuck. I think him winning the title would be great. Pluse it will keep Karate Dojos open
bls1919
2/1/09 10:59:59AM
I have been saying it for a long time. Machida will be King of the 205er just as soon as they give him his shot. He will reign for a long time. Great Ko last night and hopfully everyone will stop calling him boring.
copcopps
2/1/09 11:00:19AM
I've always been a Machida fan. Never been a huge fan but I still like him over a fair amount of other people. Glad he proved everybody wrong.

I'm glad I only have 5 points instead of 11. as a Machida fan (and a Silva disliker) both him and me benefited from this
whardin19
2/1/09 11:18:21AM
I am happy for Machida. After alot of people saying he's a boring fighter he delievered a devestating KO of Silva. His fight was one of the fights that made this card good. Because those first few fights were ****. Watching Clay Guida just ride on the back of Diaz and not do much of anything and watching Karo look like crap good fights were needed.

My question now, who gets the title shot at 205? My guess would be Machida since he doesn't have a fight. But somehow I think Rampage deserves it also. Man is there a mess at the top of 205.

Machida vs. Evans is going to be one hell of a fight. I'll tell you this, Greg Jackson is definetally not going to let Evans chase Machida around the ring and get KO'ed. This is going to be a really intresting fight.
Franklinfan47
2/1/09 11:21:10AM

Couldn't be happier for Machida. On a night full of decisions, its Machida that scores the biggest KO of the night! Gotta love the irony.

But in all seriousness, he needed a big win like this and I loved it when he asked the fans if they wanted to see him fight for the title and everyone cheered. I honestly think Machida could beat Rashad.

WAR MACHIDA!!!.
nickcuc547
2/1/09 11:33:24AM
he needs another, this is like michael vick saying nobody can talk about his passing efficiency when he has his one good passing game a year. machida knocked out silva and it was spectacular and i enjoyed watching it and am looking forward to him fighting rashad, he's earned it. but he isn't going to drop the boring moniker for me until he strings together another exciting fight or two, silva was perfect for machida's style, he came forward the entire time, lyoto did what he always does, he just did it more often because thiago was giving him the opportunity. for now machida fans have the right to boast because he looked awesome last night, but I still don't see him as an enjoyable fighter because of one enjoyable fight.
keith-hackney1
2/1/09 1:19:22PM
Rampage is taking a step down the title ladder taking on jardine. It should be clear at this point to the UFC that Machida is next in line !!!!
casey64
2/1/09 1:28:37PM
Man I cant wait to see Machida vs Evans, thats the LHW title fight I'm looking forward too, I hope Rashad pulls out the unthinkable.
fizzle
2/1/09 2:21:23PM
I really didn't think it was possible for me to become any bigger of a Machida Nut Hugger. UFC 94 should be called "Stands Corrected" for all the haters.
TimW001
2/1/09 2:51:44PM
HAha yessss Machida did his thing! Don't be so surprised, just be expecting more!
Pages: [1] 2 3