Finally: The Prodigy vs. The Muscle Shark

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Finally: The Prodigy vs. The Muscle Shark
Next Page »
POLL: Penn vs. Sherk: Who wins?
Baby J 73% (80)
Sherk 27% (29)
AchillesHeel
1/20/08 12:58:17PM
When Dana White announced the re-opening of the UFC Lightweight division in 2006, I couldn't wait to see the obvious 155-lb title fight, between then-Welterweights B.J. Penn and Sean Sherk. Simply put, no one else was in their class. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Penn stayed at 170 lbs, and Florian was given a premature title fight.

Yesterday's UFC 80 is, I think, evidence that there is still no one in the UFC who is at Penn and Sherk's level, and Dana White confirmed that these two will finally meet inside the Octagon.

Well, it's about darned time...

How Penn can win: With his outrageous take-down defense and superior striking, he could score a win over Sherk in much the same way that Georges St. Pierre did. Secure top position and beat him up. On defense, Penn is as slippery as an eel and could force Sherk to concentrate all his effort in simply fighting for position - landing any actual strikes might be a tough job. Joe Stevenson and Jens Pulver did well simply to get into the 2nd round, and were rarely able to mount any kind of attack.

How Sherk can win: Again, Georges St. Pierre provided one possible blue-print (as did Matt Hughes). Sherk's ridiculous conditioning, strength and wrestling skills could allow him to simply bull through Penn's punches and grind him down. Florian and Franca - good jiu-jitsu guys - fell behind Sherk's pace and struggled to regain the initiative.

Who I think will win: I'm not saying yet. Let the debating commence.

The8One5
1/20/08 1:07:10PM
theres already a bunch of threads like this but how can sherk win? hughes is a far superior fighter than sherk and hughes couldnt do anything to bj until he got hurt, penn is just a freak and is not beatable unless he beats himself mentally plain and simple, sherk cant ko him cant sub him and sure as heck wont be able to take him down so look for sherk to be bloodier than joe was, for the record i respect joe and think he would take sherk out as well
tylerlee123
1/20/08 1:12:33PM
These two lads are the best in the world in thier weight class whoever wins will be champ for a while this is going to be a war
chris91301
1/20/08 1:16:12PM
if sherk is not on steroids anymore he will not win. when a fighter competes and wins due to steroids they start relying on that too much. now that he had to stop doing it i doubt he can readjust in a timely manner.

besides anyone who did steroids should not be allowed in the sport. penalty should be permanent lifetime disqualification from MMA, not just for a year.
Riggeee
1/20/08 1:17:24PM
i think bj will avoid the takedown very well
but i still believe that sherk will squeeze in a few takedowns in this fight and i dont think they will be able to stop eachother but my prediction is that it will go the distance and bj will keep it standing most of the time and get good shots in maybe even a take down and stay on top for a round but sherk would lay on bj for a good 2 rounds and it will be very close and bj gets the belt split decision
THE_DRiZzLE
1/20/08 2:26:54PM

Posted by chris91301

if sherk is not on steroids anymore he will not win. when a fighter competes and wins due to steroids they start relying on that too much. now that he had to stop doing it i doubt he can readjust in a timely manner.

besides anyone who did steroids should not be allowed in the sport. penalty should be permanent lifetime disqualification from MMA, not just for a year.

do you speak from your vast usage of roids? to imply Sherk only won his fights cuz
of roids is rather ignorant imo.. plus from my understanding, i could be wrong, the suppliment he tested positive for was lower ladder as far as those kind of drugs go.. don't get me wrong though.. i don't condone the usage of these drugs in
any sport.. except maybe golf.. :P and i'm not so sure he should be banned for life..
that to me seems a little harsh.. but let this be a lesson to Sherk.. if it happens
again I would support such a notion..
Naturaldisaster
1/20/08 2:38:26PM
I think BJ said it best last night. Sean Sherk......Your Dead!
buckndro
1/20/08 2:39:15PM
i thought it was great was bj said "sherk is dead" an do blelieve him can't wait to see it
Twenty20Dollars
1/20/08 3:05:38PM
This just makes for a better fight Sherk vs Penn because of the bad blood rather just Joe Daddy even thought I like stevenson.
telnights
1/20/08 3:24:41PM
For one I don't think Sherks head is going to be 100% going in to this fight with the hole suspension thing. If he didn't really do it, its going to be in the back of his mind the hole time that someone is out to get him and could he test positive again and not on the fight. If he did cheat then I think he's not going to be dumb enough to do it again and going to come in way under his normal juiced up power. Even if you didn't add all of these other factors in I still see the BJ vs. Sherk fight going the same as the GSP vs. Sherk fight did. Sherk trying to trade with BJ eating some hard shots getting taken down by BJ and GnPed out. I think BJ could beat anyone at 155 right now. Like BJ said he picked a bad time to fight BJ.
NatedawgThaM
1/20/08 3:29:40PM
If BJ trains the way he did for Joe daddy and Jens, he can beat anybody. But once again, the main factor is BJ's conditioning. He probably has the best takedown defense in MMA so the main factor is if he can hang on in them late rounds with Sherk if it goes that long.

I do think BJ will win since he's motivated but I just don't know when he wins and how.
Korsakov
1/20/08 4:11:18PM
to put it simple.

sean sherk... you're dead!
THE_DRiZzLE
1/20/08 4:25:08PM

Posted by telnights

For one I don't think Sherks head is going to be 100% going in to this fight with the hole suspension thing. If he didn't really do it, its going to be in the back of his mind the hole time that someone is out to get him and could he test positive again and not on the fight. If he did cheat then I think he's not going to be dumb enough to do it again and going to come in way under his normal juiced up power. Even if you didn't add all of these other factors in I still see the BJ vs. Sherk fight going the same as the GSP vs. Sherk fight did. Sherk trying to trade with BJ eating some hard shots getting taken down by BJ and GnPed out. I think BJ could beat anyone at 155 right now. Like BJ said he picked a bad time to fight BJ.

BJ's @ his prime right now.. i believe this now after the fight with Stevenson.. i'll
admit i was a doubter and didn't by the hype.. i was wrong.. Sherk is @ a low no matter how it pans out.. BJ won't be stopped any time soon i think..
cmill21
1/20/08 4:46:01PM
I hope BJ wins. I don't like sherk's additude, and I don't like his style. I woulden't be dissapointed to see him out of the UFC.
StriderXero
1/20/08 4:56:10PM
I sort of liked how Sherk handled himself yesterday, execpt for the fact that he doesn't accept the fact that he's no longer Champ. Not for nothing but Sherk is starting to look like the TIM SILVIA of the lightweight division. Dam did you hear all the people booing him yesterday. I don't know but I starting to beleave he didn't take roids. Atleast without knowing. Eitherway he should accept that he was stripped. Even if he is innoccent.

BJ's my favorite fighter, so I'll be rooting for him this May.
mauimana
1/20/08 5:26:43PM
BJ will dominate for a long while....looks like im not the only one thinking so.....bj is unstoppable....only guy that can stop him is Himself...
JBatch
1/20/08 5:31:41PM
1) Sherk will be able to take BJ down its just a matter of do you wat to be in BJ's guard.
2) The striking game will be a ot closer than you think. Yes BJ looked sharp but Sherk has mad power and the desire to win.
3) All that said I think BJ subs him in the 3rd round.
xchickox
1/20/08 6:26:33PM
i gotta go for sherk, i'm a big fan and i just think he will be too strong for bj penn, i also think he has too good a chin for bj to knock him out or hurt him with a punch (just look how he took them franca knees)
Trapt1nw0nder
1/20/08 7:21:05PM
nothing better than a good bad blood match....BJ's stand up looked incredible against Stevenson,and Joe's boxing is pretty much the same as Sherk's..........so pretty much i see Sherk TRYING to take BJ down,but getting nothing but uppercuts to the face while holding BJ by a single....and if he does take him down i see BJ using the rubber guard and feeding Sherk more heavy hands to the face and before we know it he will break his will and RNC him by the 3rd or GNP stoppage after catching him with a heavy blow and knocking him down while standing....
bayonetxwork
1/20/08 7:48:51PM
I do not see any aspect of the fight going in Sherks favor. You can say cardio if you'd like, but do you REALLY think Sherk will be able to finish BJ when he couldn't finish Franca, or Florian? BJ is unarguably the most talented fighter in the LW division, some may argue in all of MMA. Sherk is merely the same fighter as Hughes as far as styles go, and I don't believe that the wrestling of Sherk will be even close to whats needed to win this fight.
Boo_Radley21
1/20/08 8:03:16PM
It's gonna be a hell of a fight that's for sure, whoever wins it'll be a good show.
Buttertincup
1/20/08 11:10:32PM
I could see sherk laying on bj 4 five rounds, Hope bj takes this one.
allmotormark
1/21/08 12:10:00AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I think BJ said it best last night. Sean Sherk......Your Dead!

someone needs to make an avatar with bj and then those words LOL
i nearly fell off my chair .....GO BJ
Mayhem13
1/21/08 12:30:21AM
I hope BJ can get the win, and I think its very possible. Its hard to count Sherk out though, he has that very dominant way of fighting, where he takes you down and doesnt let you up ahnd completely smothers you the entire fight bell to bell.

Bj does have outstanding takedown defense, but can it stop a Sherk takedown for 5 rounds?...I dunno....

If I had to make a pick today, I would say (if BJ is conditioned like saturday) BJ by 4th round submission...but its a tough fight to pick.
gsquat
1/21/08 2:28:26PM
BJ proved he's obviously on a whole different level than Joe Stevenson. Sherk's style is similar to Joe's. Combine that with the fact that the UFC pulled the teat of strength from his mouth, and I think you have a 5 round war with BJ coming out victorious. Sherk may very well be "dead".
RedCloud
1/21/08 2:45:02PM
The fight will end with BJ licking Sherks blood off of his gloves...
What a freaking warrior!
stock
1/22/08 8:44:24AM
I still am not counting my blessings that this fight will happen.
BJ has a case of ADD when it comes to fighting in 1 weight class.
I am thinking he is focusing more energy on a rematch with GSP.

If the fight does happen, I will have to go with Sherk.
BJlikesBJs
1/26/08 5:49:06PM
BJ's on another level than Shrek
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/26/08 6:22:29PM
I lost all respect for sherk after the whole bj's a pothead thing. outrageous coming from a roid monkey. BJ is unstopable. i see it the same as joe daddy. bloody sherk gets rear naked choked round 2.
NineDuce
1/27/08 4:34:16AM
"sherk, your dead"

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pages: [1] 2