Finally A Well Prepared Shogun?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Finally A Well Prepared Shogun?
Mattchoo
4/16/09 11:59:14AM
Just finished watching this, looks to me hes finally taking the strength and conditioning seriously at last.

Too little too late, or just what he needs?

Cant make my mind up..

Video
AchillesHeel
4/16/09 12:06:17PM
I think we all know that looking good in the gym means bupkes.
Mattchoo
4/16/09 12:10:56PM
Definately, but I was more picking out how he's taking that part of his game alot more seriously it seems. Might delay him becoming Chucks punchbag for a while longer
cowcatcher
4/16/09 12:26:25PM
i heard the same thing before the coleman fight too and at this point i wont hang my hat on any of that until i see shogun can still be the fighter he was in pride.
KaibaThedon
4/16/09 1:05:51PM
a well prepared shogun that blows his wad in the 3rd round instead of 2nd?
burialchamber
4/16/09 1:22:35PM
I'm taking a chance on Shogun and picking him to win this fight. His performance recently has been terrible but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will come in ready. I think he's got all the tools to beat Chuck and I think his camp will make sure he's sharp enough to pull it off.
chickmagnet
4/16/09 2:05:22PM
I believe Chuck has finally eveolved his stand-up. He has been working with ATT Boxing coach Howard Davis, and has sharpened his defense. The only real big hole in Chucks stand-up has always been where his hands are at. I believe he wasn't prepared for Rashad's style and highly underestimated Rashad's punching power. Now Chucks defensive skills are going to be very crips. Shogun has prepared very well, and I know for a fact he is going to try to take Chuck down, because he stated that Chuck is weakest off of his back. Lets be real...If the most in-shape Tito Ortiz couldn't take Chuck down, and Randy had a hard time keeping Chuck down. Shogun wont be able to close the distance and take him down, evenm if by chance he did, Chuck will easily get back up. Standing up it will be exciting, but the way Shogun fights, I don't see him being able to trade with Chuck.

It wont matter how prepared Shogun is. This is the worst match-up for him right now. Chuck is evolving.

WAR ICEMAN
kopower
4/16/09 5:09:09PM

Posted by chickmagnet

I believe Chuck has finally eveolved his stand-up. He has been working with ATT Boxing coach Howard Davis, and has sharpened his defense. The only real big hole in Chucks stand-up has always been where his hands are at. I believe he wasn't prepared for Rashad's style and highly underestimated Rashad's punching power. Now Chucks defensive skills are going to be very crips. Shogun has prepared very well, and I know for a fact he is going to try to take Chuck down, because he stated that Chuck is weakest off of his back. Lets be real...If the most in-shape Tito Ortiz couldn't take Chuck down, and Randy had a hard time keeping Chuck down. Shogun wont be able to close the distance and take him down, evenm if by chance he did, Chuck will easily get back up. Standing up it will be exciting, but the way Shogun fights, I don't see him being able to trade with Chuck.

It wont matter how prepared Shogun is. This is the worst match-up for him right now. Chuck is evolving.

WAR ICEMAN

Totally agree. Like many others have said, I believe Shoguns best days are behind him. He'll probably look good the first round and Chuck will pick him apart after that. I have to see Shogun bring it before I believe he's back to his old form in pride days
Wolfenstein
4/16/09 5:23:03PM
I hope he's well prepared, and I think cutting from 215 as opposed to 225 is a great gameplan. I find it hard to believe that at 27 years old; Shogun is on the decline. I think it's just a matter of conditioning and ring-rust.

If he gasses this time, then maybe an even more drastic change is neccessary. Could you imagine Shogun coming out of a camp in the US, like say Xtreme Couture?

CwB
4/16/09 5:23:56PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by chickmagnet

WAR ICEMAN

Totally agree. Like many others have said, I believe Shoguns best days are behind him. He'll probably look good the first round and Chuck will pick him apart after that. I have to see Shogun bring it before I believe he's back to his old form in pride days

"Chuck is evolving"
"Shoguns best days are behind him"

Those quotes sound like the most ass backwards statements.

Chucks standup game might be improving but to say his game is evolving might be jumping the gun, Chuck is my all time favorite but he doesnt have much time left in his career to evolve, plus bad habits are hard to break.

Shogun is still young and if he loses this fight i would like to see him drop to 185, he still has plenty of time to reorganize and come back in top shape.

Chuck has upped his training and so has shogun we will just have to wait til fight time to see if any of this new and improved hype talk is real or if they both come in looking the same as there recent performances.

Chuck by second round ko...
Drudinh
4/16/09 5:36:45PM

I'm worse off than before... but gotta stick to chuck
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/16/09 5:55:29PM
Chucjk is still gonna win, Shogun said all these things before he fought Coleman so ....if Liddell avoids looping rights for 2 rounds while shogun gasses then Liddell can knock his head off in the 3rd
soundboy1
4/16/09 7:28:17PM
I just got finished changing my pick to chuck by 3rd rd tko when i saw this post. I still am taking chuck. I don't like Shogun's plan on "not getting hit" So I'm sticking with Chuck. I feel like Shogun is limited by the UFC rules namely no kneeing a downed opponent.
The_Ho_Bag
4/16/09 7:47:57PM
im honestly no convinced. i like shogun but he said the same thing last time and he could barely finish Coleman . i guess we will see this time wont we?
cmill21
4/16/09 8:19:44PM
Find out saturday.
Ordep
4/16/09 9:02:21PM
Will the cardio be back or not? We can't tell now based on this..

But at least his whole camp are attending the situation, and he seems to be more focused here.

Also, good part on Liddell for realizing John Hack is not the only trainer in the world.

Sum those two parts and in theory we should have a nice fight with "new" elements from both sides. In other words, our PPV money being worth. Again, in theory.

I'm still picking Shogun because he has more winning ways that he can apply if he's smart enough to pull them off. For Chuck,IMO, its only hope that Shogun shows up with bad cardio again or for him to fall in his classic counter-trap.
breakdown5
4/16/09 9:13:34PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I think we all know that looking good in the gym means bupkes.

I hope as much as the next guy for the glorious return of the Shogun of old. But I don't have much faith that its gonna happen in this fight.
kopower
4/16/09 10:36:37PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by kopower

Posted by chickmagnet

WAR ICEMAN

"Chuck is evolving"
"Shoguns best days are behind him"

Those quotes sound like the most ass backwards statements.

Chucks standup game might be improving but to say his game is evolving might be jumping the gun, Chuck is my all time favorite but he doesnt have much time left in his career to evolve, plus bad habits are hard to break.

Shogun is still young and if he loses this fight i would like to see him drop to 185, he still has plenty of time to reorganize and come back in top shape.

Chuck has upped his training and so has shogun we will just have to wait til fight time to see if any of this new and improved hype talk is real or if they both come in looking the same as there recent performances.

Chuck by second round ko...

So far it looks like his best days are behind him. He hasn't done anything to make me think otherwise. Gone are his famous soccer kicks and head stomps. He has had major surgeries and cardio is a big issue for him. It would be cool if he could drop to 185 but I find that unrealistic. Shogun gassed and he could barely finish a 44 year old Mark Coleman. He is still young, and there is plenty of time to change things, but after knee surgeries, one generally loses a bit of athletic ability. I hope he looks good a proves me wrong, time will tell.
Pookie
4/16/09 10:51:39PM
Shogun will look better and better with every fight he takes, as ring rust and inactivity will affect his performances less and less.

This fight im not so sure if he can do enough to win, but i do expect to see growth in his game, as with any fighter who comes off a long lay off and looks sluggish
Aaronno9
4/16/09 10:52:06PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by CwB

Posted by kopower

WAR ICEMAN

Have you seen the size of shoguns thighs? He'd have to loose a leg before thinking about dropping to 185 imo.
Pookie
4/16/09 10:59:49PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by kopower

Posted by CwB

Posted by kopower

WAR ICEMAN

Have you seen the size of shoguns thighs? He'd have to loose a leg before thinking about dropping to 185 imo.

I agree, shogun has grown a few inches since his pride days and could still be getting bigger.

Not to mention Shogun has some of the widest shoulders in all of mma, his weight is distributed in a manner that would make it considerably hard to cut to 30 lbs to 185.

Its the cro-cop theory.
Dragoslav
4/17/09 12:53:27AM
Talking about a best in shape Tito not being able to take down Chuck well........ Tito wasn't in the best shape of his life. He was strugging with back problems and had been since the Randy fight. Also, Chuck didn't need to respect Tito's striking. He has to respect Shogun's.
The_Ho_Bag
4/17/09 10:25:00AM

Posted by Dragoslav

Talking about a best in shape Tito not being able to take down Chuck well........ Tito wasn't in the best shape of his life. He was strugging with back problems and had been since the Randy fight. Also, Chuck didn't need to respect Tito's striking. He has to respect Shogun's.

but we all knew tito had no chance in beating chuck. shogun has a very good chance its just his last 2 fights have concerned me , being that he couldn't finish Coleman in the early rounds , by mid round 2 his jaw was wide open and his hands where dragging, same with his fight against griffin. after round 1 , Shogun jaw was wide open. he may look amazing in the gym but it all comes down to this Saturday.